iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction ?

Started by Norm, August 21, 2008, 12:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAMINMO

Man that was quick ! In just a couple days he has changed doors to windows , Got what looks to be a concrete patio and alot of landscaping done. YOU THA MAN NORM!!!!!! It looks great man. Good Job!

beenthere

Looks very good.

Any pics of the units going in, and some detail how you ended up finishing the sill to concrete connection? 

Will the previous garage area now be an indoor patio? or like a rec room?  Just curious. :) :)
(not wanting to be nosey.. :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

We work fast but to be honest the first picture was not too long after we built the house. In years later we added landscaping and then the cement patio.

BT we didn't get any pics of the units going in. I contacted Anderson windows and they say to just use a urethane caulk on the sill. We did run into some problems with the concrete being less than level but I knew that going in to this and had decided that we could live with the small imperfections.

As to the use of it we are going to make this into a music room. Patty and I have always wanted a piano but never really had the room for one. Since she was a little girl she'd always wanted to take lessons. We decided that at this time in our lives that we'd do some things for just us. Seems that most of our purchases have been equipment and other things that had a real purpose. This one is just for the fun of it. After we get it payed off I'm going to get a Hammond B3 organ for myself. I took lessons for years as teenager but quit when I got my drivers license. :D

SwampDonkey

You guys did good Norm. Patty knows her stuff.  ;D

House looks great with the new patio door and windows. You guys been watch'n do it yourself TV again. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Looks great, Norm!  How is the inside coming along?

Mooseherder

Great Job Guys!  I wish you were closer Norm, I would buy your garage door you took down.  I need a new one bad! :D

Norm

The inside is coming slowly but surely Warbird. I'm wiring and running the heat and ac in this week. The drywallers are scheduled for the day after the labor day holiday and then the carpet layers are the next week.

MH I sure wish you were closer, I tried for a couple of weeks to give away the old garage doors but couldn't find anyone interested. They ended up in my burn pit out back. The metal parts I'll give to the mailman who's also a junker.

Warbird

I hear you on the slow process of getting the inside work done.  Sounds like you are a smart man, though...  you hired out the drywall work!  Sure wish I'd been that smart with our house.  ;) 

Don_Papenburg

My aunt had a nice steinway  baby grand  .  She had to sell it when they moved to california .  I wanted to buy it but had no place for it . also had no clue how to play it . but it was cool .  Is there some way that you could rip out the ceiling above  and build a big fancy organ with a hunded and fifty pipes that would make a preacher drool? Now that would be a music room :D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Radar67

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on August 26, 2008, 10:42:15 PM
Now that would be a music room :D

Or a Vincent Price movie... :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Mooseherder

Quote from: Radar67 on August 26, 2008, 10:48:06 PM
Quote from: Don_Papenburg on August 26, 2008, 10:42:15 PM
Now that would be a music room :D

Or a Vincent Price movie... :D

There was a Vincent Price movie on PBS a couple weeks back when we were at Camp.  I watched a little.  yikes_smiley smiley_skull
He still gives me the creeps.
  smiley_beady_eyes

Meadows Miller

Gday

Top job Mate  8). looks alot better   ;D and you will love the extra space :o 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Norm

Quote from: Warbird on August 25, 2008, 10:50:00 AMHow is the inside coming along?

Warbird I forgot to update pictures of the inside of our music room. We still have baseboard to put down but that will wait until I have time this winter to make it.

It has quickly become our favorite room in the house. Sundays are spent reading and practicing together. I almost feel selfish spending the time doing so but darn it it's about time we spent some time just spoiling ourselves.

Folks ask us how the lessons are coming along and I tell them that after a couple of beers we sound great. :D

Warbird

:D It sure looks nice, Norm.  You do good work.  Is that carpet on the floor?  If not, what type of flooring is it?

That piano is beautiful.  I am slowly learning the guitar right now and am eager to learn piano and keyboard, as well.  Figure I can type about 130 word per minute on a computer keyboard so maybe I can play the piano well.  ;)

Norm

It's a berber style carpet Warbird.

I'm slowly learning how to play guitar myself. I bought a strat from my son some 10 years ago and it has sat in my basement since then. I take online guitar lessons from guitar tricks so that when I actually work up the courage to go to a live teacher I'm not so intimidated. My biggest problem is those short stubby fingers I inherited. :D

logwalker

Hey Norm, I have stubbies also. Not so short though. Is there any hope for us? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

srt

Nice looking place Norm.  I'm really impressed with how you changed the look of the garage, without making it look like  "what used to be a garage". 

I know it's after the fact, but I'll add it anyway for future readers.  Something that's done often down by the ocean where the wind whips rain water around and can actually make it go up-hill is to make a "pan" out of flashing material to set the unit (door, window, whatever) into.  The same sealants are used as described before, but this also gives a hard seal where drainage will definately be routed to the outside if it gets past the sealants.  The pan includes a lip bent up on the inside to make sure the water doesn't go all the way in.  Then there's a lip (bent down) on the outside th get any draining water past any wood members and onto the concrete of the foundation.

Being an amatuer musician, I'm a bit envious of your music room.  Wife makes me practice trumpet and F-horn when she's away.  Dogs don't like it a bit either, but I do out rank them.

I call what I've been blessed with "sausage fingers".  Couldn't make it around the neck of a guitar and press down a string cleanly if they had to, but are plenty meaty for pushing wood through a machine!

isawlogs

Well I have been blessed with many things ... an ear for music notes coming out of me sure was not one of um. I could not hold a tune ifin one was tied to me, I got trouble keeping the radio in tune ....  Let alone make any . ::) 
   I can sure tell you got yourselves one nice setup and there's one good lookin'chair there that I could easily slip myself into and let my ears be pleased with what comes out of those fine lookin' instuments   :) :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

Thank you for the kind comments folks.  :)

The garage before was a major embarrassment to me. It was the main entry to our place and always a mess. Need a place to store junk and sure enough it sat in there. We put up a pole barn and that has now become the junk collection point.

The one guy that deserves all the credit for this is this little guy.

Our house has an open stairwell and his parents rightfully so would not let him in there for fear he'd fall down it while our backs where turned. I decided we needed a room that could have a gate to it that he could play in but be safe in. That's when I came up with the idea of turning the garage into a finished room. The first time he came over his folks were worried he'd break something or scratch the piano. I told them not to worry we'd remember those scratches or whatnots as a remembrance of him growing up.

isawlogs

Thats gotta be the luckyest cat inda world .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

Very nice job Norm.   8)

I like the way you practice too, but even a few could not make me sound good musically.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!