iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First load of osage logs to be milled

Started by osage outlaw, December 30, 2018, 09:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

osage outlaw

I recently took my first load of osage orange logs to a local mill operator to be cut into slabs.  I was very happy with the results and I can't wait to get started on some projects from this lumber.  I had it cut into 1.25" and 2.25" slabs.  I hope you guys don't mind a lot of pictures.

I don't have any logging equipment.  I get by with my old UTV and a barrel sled.

I added one more log after these pictures were taken.

My log arch trailer worked nicely.  

Log arch trailer - YouTube

Osage orange has some beautiful colors.  It can be bright yellow to dark red.  

This tree had interlocking grain.  I could see it in the bark before I cut it.  It made some cool ripple waves in the grain.  

The black wind checks can make some awesome designs.  I want to make a table out of these two boards

I sealed the ends with several coats of glue before having them cut up.  I stickered and stacked them in my garage for now.  Should I do anything else to them?  I want to minimize any cracking or warping.

sealark37

A beautiful stack of material.  How much did the sawyer charge for his work?  I notice that you are one of those guys who sweeps his shop between jobs.  Compliments on a nice work area.     Regards, Clark

osage outlaw

He charged $150 but I gave him a little extra.  I thought that was a reasonable price.  My garage is cluttered but I can't stand a messy floor.  I sweep it all the time.  When I'm debarking staves I sweep it twice for each stave.  

moodnacreek

As I always say, sticker all the way out even if they don't align vertically. The piles should be high, narrow and very heavily weighted.  Those who do this don't have time to post photos and may not even use computers so it's not apparent. The wrong methods are being copied .

Brad_bb

Osage will do what it wants to do, weight or not.  Even 4/4 it's difficult at best to keep it from doing what it wants to do.   Your stuff is thicker, and the thicker something is, the less it usually warps.

Not sure what you're going to do, but I can tell you that Osage can have changing grain direction which can cause tear out when you plane.  If the piece doesn't have changing grain direction, you might be ok.  I've had better luck with belt sanding.

That Osage will turn a rust brown color in time as it oxidizes.  kept inside it might hold more yellow longer.  I love Osage.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

lil171

That is a nice stack of wood. I have always been intrigued by the Osage Oranges. We do not have them up here, but whenever I visit the US, I but a few if in season and available. We were told that they help keep bugs at bay and I don't know if it is just me, but they do seem to work. If I could only get some seeds to try to grow a tree here. 

osage outlaw

Quote from: Brad_bb on December 30, 2018, 11:17:21 AM
Osage will do what it wants to do, weight or not.  Even 4/4 it's difficult at best to keep it from doing what it wants to do.   Your stuff is thicker, and the thicker something is, the less it usually warps.

Not sure what you're going to do, but I can tell you that Osage can have changing grain direction which can cause tear out when you plane.  If the piece doesn't have changing grain direction, you might be ok.  I've had better luck with belt sanding.

That Osage will turn a rust brown color in time as it oxidizes.  kept inside it might hold more yellow longer.  I love Osage.
I'm well aware of the characteristics of osage wood.  I've been making longbows from it for over 10 years.  I cut and hand split around 300 bow staves a year.  It's my favorite tree to work with.  I have osage limbs and leaves tattooed down my right arm.  It will fight you all the way but the end result is beautiful.  
I am familiar with drying  osage staves without warping and cracking but these boards are new to me.  I feel like I should seal them with a coat of shellac to slow the drying process down. 

osage outlaw

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 30, 2018, 09:47:03 AM
As I always say, sticker all the way out even if they don't align vertically. The piles should be high, narrow and very heavily weighted.  Those who do this don't have time to post photos and may not even use computers so it's not apparent. The wrong methods are being copied .
Thank you for the advice.  When I move them to the other location I will cut more stickers and make sure the ends are supported.  

DPatton

I like the barrel sled, what an inexpensive and great way to keep the logs clean when skidding.You got some beautiful slabs with a lot of color. I personally love the look of hedge when it has been aged and exposed to sunlight allowing it to oxidize, turning it a dark rich amber color.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

I drool for logs like those :).  Keyboard is all wet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

I wish we had hedge like that around here.  Want to trade it for some really nice gum logs?   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OffGrid973

How far south does one need to travel for those beauties?

I think someone drives the sawdust sleigh in the right direction in that shop.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Brad_bb

I just seal the end grain like any other log.  It needs to dry out the sides/faces.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

69bronco

Wish we had some here! How bout a few bow pics?

osage outlaw

Quote from: OffGrid973 on December 30, 2018, 09:35:00 PM
How far south does one need to travel for those beauties?

I think someone drives the sawdust sleigh in the right direction in that shop.
These were cut in Southern Indiana

osage outlaw

Quote from: 69bronco on December 31, 2018, 07:33:58 AM
Wish we had some here! How bout a few bow pics?
I like to use natural flaws  in the wood when I can.

DPatton

Your work is simply beautiful. It's a good thing its wintertime here cause that snake in the grass photo about gave me the willies.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Carson-saws

Beautiful...very nice indeed....my favorite wood....
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Resonator

Nice work! I was not familiar with that wood, had too look it up.  
Osage Orange, (Maclura Pomifera), also known as Hedge Apple, Horse Apple, Bodark, or French "Bois D'ark" (bow - wood). Extremely durable and very decay resistant, used for wagon wheels, fence posts, bows, and musical instruments. Also shavings can be put into water to make yellow dye, and is said to produce more BTU's when burned than any other domestic hardwood.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

osage outlaw

It is some amazing wood.  A log can lay on the forest floor for decades and it will not rot.  I found a log that was cut and left in the woods for at least 20 years based on the history of the property.  It was black on the outside.  Just under that black surface was golden yellow.  I have made several bows from that log.  

Osage is fantastic firewood.  It does put off a lot of heat and can spark like tiny fireworks.  It makes a great dye.  My hands were stained yellow from moving those slabs and I was wearing gloves.  It is also being researched for cancer treatment.  It has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties.    

Question about drying those slabs:  How long should I air dry a 2.5" slab before making a table out of it?  They will be stored inside a building out of the rain and sunlight.  

wesdor

Great thread and photos. Not sure if I like your logs, boards or bows the most. 
Most farmers around here want to eradicate Osage, but we still have some. I have a couple really big ones on the farm but no need to harvest them until there is a reason.  

Thanks for the awesome posts. 

offrink

Air dry is typically 1" per year. Not sure with this wood. 

lil171

Wow. That is sure some beautiful handi-work there. I do not honestly know what project I like best of those pictured. But if i had to choose now, I would pick the axe. Simply amazing! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Crossroads

Very nice work! Do you hunt with the bows you make? I was never good enough to go traditional, I had to have training wheels and sights on my bow....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

osage outlaw

Quote from: Crossroads on December 31, 2018, 11:53:15 PM
Very nice work! Do you hunt with the bows you make? I was never good enough to go traditional, I had to have training wheels and sights on my bow....
Yes, I hunt with them.  I've killed 2 deer with my bows and 1 with a bow that a friend made.  I used a broad head made from a band saw blade on one of the deer.  I used a flint knapped stone point on the other.  

Thank You Sponsors!