iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting hammered by bots. Working on it

Started by Jeff, December 08, 2017, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The Forestry Forum is suffering from a DOS attack this morning. I am working on it trying to fend them off. I apologize for the intermittent  connectivity.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I HATE BOTS SPAMMERS SCAMMERS AND WHOEVER CAUSES ALL THESE PROBLEMS!

Okay, that made me feel better. :)

chet

Much better connectivity up here in Yooper land now.   8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kbeitz

To bad you can't just send them back from where they come from...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

I'm pretty sure they are from Hell, so that ain't a bad plan.

Don P

Tureakistan  :D
Yup its all messed up out where the electrons wear out  :D
I was blamin the snow, looks like our first real one of the year.

Got a scam phone call the other day from "windows technical support". I invited him to come on over, bring a bucket and rags and clean my windows. I kept telling him the password was Windex but he didn't seem to understand  ??? Judging from the sound of traffic outside his mud hut I'm not really sure he knows what a window is, of any kind.

Grizzly

Boss, you need to go get a mug of some good herbal tea, maybe set up a aromatherapy thing, and do some goat yoga, and all that stress is just supposed to melt away. Soothing and peaceful is what I hear.....   well ok. It was a great thought though!!   :D :D :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

21incher

I wonder if the hack the forum Christmas contest is seen as a challenge to the hackers. :-\
Thanks for all your hard work behind the scenes  keeping us safe. thumbs-up thumbs-up
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: 21incher on December 08, 2017, 12:38:07 PM
I wonder if the hack the forum Christmas contest is seen as a challenge to the hackers. :-\
Thanks for all your hard work behind the scenes  keeping us safe. thumbs-up thumbs-up

x2
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

:D no. They are not after the website, they are after the server. They have no idea about the contest. They are not looking at anything on pages.  That's actually kinda like a thief trying to steal a car because there might be a pack of gum locked in the trunk. :)

Roxie

Quote from: Chet on December 08, 2017, 11:08:05 AM
Much better connectivity up here in Yooper land now.   8)

If he that smelt it dealt it, let's blame Chet.   :D
Say when

Ljohnsaw

Sure would be nice if the ISP's would do their job :-X (block malicious activity) or if we could collectively just reverse DOS them! ;) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

It's not that easy.  The bad guys are continuously coming at you from compromised systems. You block one I.P., they come at you from another. It might even be your home computer is the malicious host and you might never know it other than you think it might be running slow at times.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This week in Mecklenburg County where Charlotte N.C. is located, Iraq or Iran bots sent a worm email.
Somebody opened it.
Now the whole county server is being held hostage for $23,000 in ransom....that is 2 - bit coins.
The time ran out and the county didn't pay. Now the ransom is up to $75,000 I think.
The county is trying to bring back the files from a backup system and it may takes months.

No taxes can be paid because no one knows what is owed at this time.  :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on December 08, 2017, 03:10:02 PM
It's not that easy.  The bad guys are continuously coming at you from compromised systems. You block one I.P., they come at you from another. It might even be your home computer is the malicious host and you might never know it other than you think it might be running slow at times.
YEARS ago, I went up to Portland, Oregon to attend a special class.  We were being trained on a fancy full-size PC with some unique hardware.  There were about 30 or 40 of us in the hotel ballroom at the conference.  It was required that we all log into a particular site to get some credentials so we could configure the computers.  The hotel's router/firewall saw that there was a sudden "target" being "attacked" by our machines and we were blocked from reaching it.  It took the hotel staff about an hour o figure out what was going on. :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I was blaming all this on my Dinosaur Computer
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Is there a way to send them a virus back to them?
I mean the  smiley_devil back at them. smiley_smash
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Peter,

They would not know pecan even if the met one in the road.   smiley_devil   :D :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

There must be a way to disable them when they try to get in. Maybe leave a hole, door, easy to hack. And when they go in, there pc fills with junk. One less, next, :D
I don't know, just thinking,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

I had nuttin to do with it being filled with junk.

Keep yer chin up boss, You are doing good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW1Hj4eSlIA

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ianab

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 08, 2017, 09:39:27 PM
There must be a way to disable them when they try to get in. Maybe leave a hole, door, easy to hack. And when they go in, there pc fills with junk. One less, next, :D
I don't know, just thinking,

It's called a "honeypot".

If you want to know what the bad guys are up to, you leave out a vulnerable machine in plain sight, and monitor it. It's not actually a real machine, just a virtual system, that has it's actual access locked down tight, and isolated from the rest of the system. But you can watch who attacks it, from where, and what they try and do with it.  Knowing that, it's easier to check and harden the defenses on your real systems.

One guy did get one over the Indian scammers. Strung him along on the phone, and managed to send him a copy of a "Crypto-locker", telling him it was a screen shot of his system. And he opened it.    :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

MbfVA

Ponder this one while you're on the topic of cyber-jerks.

It's against the law in most places to conceal your ID in public, as with a mask.

Why then do our diligent & productive lawgivers, federal - state - local, resist (under pressure from the Verizons and others who make money from it) prohibiting ANYONE from concealing their ID when they CALL US or send us email??

It happens every d**g day.  Riddle me that.

:snowball: :snowball:

My homegrown solution to email spam is simple.  Tax everyone who sends email one cent for each one.  Everybody gets a 500 or so monthly exemption, or something like that.  Details later, think on concept lines for now.

Think about it.  Spammers would be out of business almost at once.  The ISPs who have to collect the tax would clamp down IMMEDIATELY.

Wow, I feel better after the above pontification.  Do you?
:new_year:
www.ordinary.com (really)

Jeff

They would not only be spammers then, they would be tax evading spammers, and the tax, would be inflicted upon the people whom had their systems exploited to send the spam.  On the server we had before this one, many years ago, a red hat system, we had a slowdown. We discovered a security hole that had allowed a spammer to set up shop using our server sending hundreds of thousands of spam from our system. It was shut down as soon as it was discovered.  I can just imagine being deemed responsible and having to pay a tax on those spam emails.

Spammers are
Hackers  and they do not use legitimate means to send email.

A message to whom it may concern I can see through the veil of promotion. Stop it.

Southside

I don't know how you do it Jeff.  To me it was a lot easier when I was handed an M-60 and told "those are the bad guys".
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!