iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4-53 Emergency Shut Off

Started by 62oliver, August 02, 2015, 08:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62oliver

I have a 4-53 in my 240E TJ and it does not appear to have that emergency shut-off flap on the blower housing, and I see no sign of a cable for it or anything. Did these machines not come with that? Does it matter? (Probably not 'til you need it right :D). 
I'm pretty sure the engine is not original. Machine serial # is 840610, (1984 model year??) 

Thanks
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

coxy

I have only seen one Detroit  come apart( NEVER EVER want to see it again ) from not having the emergency shut off working

Stang51D

It may have a late series rack.   A lot less likely to run off with the later ones. 

snowstorm

the turbocharged truck motors didnt have one. the na did

dustyhat

we have two 353s one has and one dont have the flap.

dustyhat

Oops, im talking of the wrong motor. i have 353 imbeded in my brain . i look for parts constantly. so you all know what i mean :laugh:

Maine logger88

Quote from: snowstorm on August 02, 2015, 07:11:01 PM
I never knew that are the turbocharged ones less likely to run away?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Stang51D

Quote from: Maine logger88 on August 02, 2015, 10:33:40 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on August 02, 2015, 07:11:01 PM
I never knew that are the turbocharged ones less likely to run away?

Not really.  I have had truck engines with turbo that had and didnt have emergency shut downs.  The turbo doesnt have much to do with it.  A few things can cause it to R-U-N-N-O-F-T. the most common is an injector to stick open.  On the older racks, that one injector sticking open would hold the rest open.  Then there is goes.  Then if any of them sits a long time, all might be stuck open because when its off, the gov has them held wide open.  Then, of course, running off on oil.  This can happen from sucking oil from wore out blower seals.  Also, if the blower seals are leaking, and it sits and idles for a long time, the air box can build up some oil.  When you take off, it will get a short burst of "run off" on that oil and make a bunch of blue smoke.  Only about 1 sec or so in my experience.
Basically, the biggest concern is the older racks.  If thats what you have, better have E stop, if not, dont worry about it.

62oliver

Is there a way to tell if you have an old rack from a newer one?
This is my first Detroit, I really don't know much about them, I was just told they have an E-Stop in case of runaway, but this one doesn't have it.

grassfed

Look closely at the intake just on top of the blower and make sure that there is not some kind of pivot/bellcrank linkage sticking out in one of the corners. Many times the cable is not there but the mechanism for the flap is. You can shut them down by blocking off the intake with a strong flat surface like plywood. People stuff rags but they tend to get sucked through. If you are worried just make something to block off the intake and keep it someplace handy like next to your fire extinguisher. When I was on small boats in the USCG the last resort procedure for runaway 6v53s was to discharge  a CO2 fire extinguisher into the intake.
Mike

treeslayer2003

Quote from: 62oliver on August 03, 2015, 06:49:15 AM
Is there a way to tell if you have an old rack from a newer one?
This is my first Detroit, I really don't know much about them, I was just told they have an E-Stop in case of runaway, but this one doesn't have it.
heve to pull valve cover, newer rack will have a spring on each injector arm.

62oliver

OK, thanks thats simple enough.

Thank You Sponsors!