iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crd wood splitter?

Started by logman81, October 28, 2012, 02:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

What do think of there new wood splitter? I like it. Any thoughts?
Precision Firewood & Logging

Local4Fitter

Who is crd? I am looking to buy a splitter soon so any info is great.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

logman81

Crdmetalworks they are a manufacturer of firewood processors and have recantly introduced the green monster wood splitter. They are in Massacusetts and build a good product. Check them out at crdmetalworks.com

Local4Fitter

Just took a look at the CRD Greenmonster on youtube. Nice machine, but I was looking to spend around $1,600 not $16,000. I was sold on it until they put that last "0" in there.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

Brux

I bought a crd processer at auction and called about manuals said there didn't have maunuals. Can't be much of a company if there aren't manuals for a machine that cost 50000 dollars. Just my 2 cents. Any one can sell you a machine but wouldn't you want a company with a little product support.
Woodbine pro processer,2006 woodmizer lt-40, Asv 4520,John Deere 450 c, Oliver 1755,Kabota 6800, walhesten FX90, Stihl 660 056 044 036pro 310 200t 180 Husky 395

cp881

They might not have manuals but I'm sure that they would answer any questions or help you out with any problems. They are super nice guys their, I was building my own processor any they helped me out a ton.

Al_Smith

My curiosity got the best of me so I Googled a clip of this thing .The first thing I noticed was the location being the Guernsey County fairgrounds in southern Ohio .I've been there several times myself .Did rather poorly running the hotsaw competition but that's another story .

At  the Paul Bunyan show you can see just about any and all types of machinery in any way connected with  forestry products and a zillion splitters and processer .

The machine looked it will do the job but remember those young fellows were slinging wood like their life depended on it .Even at probabley in their twenties they would not be able to keep up that pace for a full day .

So now comes the big question for all the big spenders .Is it worth 15-16 grand to buy a machine you'd have to tag team with help just to run it at  full capacity ? I seriously doubt it .

thecfarm

But boy it's nice to dream. Just like any demo,most times things are all set up in a perfect world.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Dream aye .At the risk of sounding sarcastic which I'm not trying to a big high capacity splitter or processer would apply to less than two percent of the posters on this forum .

You would need to have a huge and I mean huge firewood business to justify some of those monsters that can go upwards of 70-80 grand .

There is one large tree service biz near Columbus Ohio that has literaly mountains of split woood and they have several viewable from one of the beltway highways .Keep in mind though where it's at and whom they are catering too plus the fact nothing is cheap in Columbus Ohio .

logman81

Seems to pricey to me, I think you would be better off spending a little more and buy a small processor.

JuniperBoss

Splitters are too expensive for me. I want one, but I'd have to make it myself, and I have no experience with that sort of thing. I suppose for now I'll just have to split by hand and maybe borrow a splitter for bigger jobs. >:(
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

woodmills1

check the

Independent sawmill and woodlot magazine archives

they have reviewed almost all of the wood related machines

If they haven't reviewed that one they probabably have another by the same company
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Randy88

I might be getting too old for that sort of thing, but there are several questions that I have, the first being, what crew of people were blocking up the wood, so they could put on their "show"  and the second, is how many months on end each year for years are they planning on keeping up that pace to justify the cost of the machine.   

Before I'm going to spend any amount of money, its got to either make life easier or faster, the more I spend, the easier it better make my life as the older I get each year.  I think I'll keep my skid steer splitter, it might not be as fast, but I can run it for weeks on end, all day long and it didn't cost that much money, skid steer included, and I have a heated cab as well, and the best part, no bending over and no lifting by hand. 

woodmills1

I bought a small multiteck

one more payment and the loan is done(made way extra principle payments)

some issues, but  34 cord then 56 cord then 86 last year

not to mention how much man hours saved on my own firewood  at 61 years old sold 86 cord last year........nice   try that by hand
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

kmcinms

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 15, 2013, 06:50:08 PM
I bought a small multiteck

one more payment and the loan is done(made way extra principle payments)

some issues, but  34 cord then 56 cord then 86 last year

not to mention how much man hours saved on my own firewood  at 61 years old sold 86 cord last year........nice   try that by hand
Yup, bought a 25 yr. old Brave splitter last year, couldn't be happier. I was hand splitting 5-10 cord a year for years, and thought I was doing something. Tripled that in no time after the splitter got here! Now it all boils down to how much wood I can come across to split, stack or sell.
The small splitters won't get you into the 100+ cord a year firewood business, but sure make a big difference around the place.  ;)
Husky Brave
288xp
272xp
365xt
25t Brave splitter

rooster 58

Yah, me too. I bought a Brave back in '88. Helluva little splitter. A year ago had to replace the lovejoy cplng for the first time, and then this past summer put a new motor on it. Wish it was maybe 6" higher

OH logger

i still have to wonder about the strenght, durability and the overall performance of the machine. there are some nice features about this machine(and there should be) like not having to hold the wood in place while it is getting split, the auto cycle and obviously the speed. it is either buy this or get another timberwolf tw-5 which i am not that crazy about because they did away with therir auto cycle valve for "safety" reasons. i like mt tw-5 but want no splitter without autocycle.  also with the green moster i would have 3 hired hands produce as much as 4 hired hands would with 2 splitters 2 elevators, etc...     are their processors good machines? if so their splitter is probably of the same quality. any comments about their processors?? thanks
john

logman81

I agree with you, I owned a tw5 splitter for many years good machine. But without auto cycle no way would I want one. Yes thier processors are very good easy to use and operate. My friend has the locco 20 very productive machine.

muddstopper

CRD is a good company and when you call them on the phone, its usually one of the owners that answers. I dont have any to their equipment, but I have bought parts from them.

The whole auto cycle valve issue just scares me to death. I have worked around specialized constructon equipment for 37 years. Every year some one will put out something new to do the old job just a little bit faster than the older equipment. Anytime you mix human hands and feet with automatic hydraulics, somebody is going to lose something. Seen it to many times. Automatic cycle might save a few seconds here and there, but its one more thing to break or adjust and it doesnt take but one careless slip and someone is hurt, maimed or killed. I can understand why Timberwolf did away with the autocycle valve.

OH logger

i agree but the green monster's idea is to get the operators hands out of the mix. you just put the log on the "i beam" (which is a partially enclosed cradle) that keeps the log ceentered so you don't have to hold it in place at all while it splits/can kick off to the side. i love that idea.
john

logman81

Yes a very safe and good idea. I'm going to try and build a splitter with a centering system and auto valve myself seems the way to go. No need to hold the block to center it while splitting, leaves you free to get another block to split.

Thank You Sponsors!