iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch design question

Started by NCDiesel, April 17, 2013, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

I have a nice MIG welder, but no fabrication equipment except an abrasive cut-off wheel, pipe bender, pipe notcher, and a drill press.  Is it possible to build a log arch strong enough to handle 20-30" logs out of 2" pipe?   Could I use sch 40 or would I have to use sch 80 for any real strength?

The top view would be like this.  I would obviously include some additional braces made out of pipe, etc:

Brace
        |
        V
| |--------| |
|-|        |-|
| |        | |     <---wheel
  |        |
   \      /
     \  /
      ||
      ||  <--- tongue

Just curious if the xperienced folks on this forum would this this is feasible and if so, what pipe.    If I made anything it would have to be made out of pipe since I can't justify any fabrication tools for a single project.  I think I could get 3" shoes for my bender, but currently I only have 2". 

Thanks in advance
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

r.man

How much cost difference in 40 and 80 and can you bend 80?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

5quarter

That keyboard diagram is a work of art...would have taken me hours to figure out.  ;)

20"-30" cedar logs? no problem. hardwoods like oak? very unlikely. Perhaps a structural engineer could devise something that would work. Personally, I would scrounge some stouter material. There are quite a few guys here that have built great log arches. No doubt they crafting responses right now, complete with pics, as I type this. smiley_whip
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SPD748

Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

millwright

If you could use schd80 and gusset all bends and joints it would probably work fine, I have hauled some awful big logs on mine with no big problems.

kelLOGg

I would use at least a 3" pipe. I have 2 arches, a monster with a 40" throat and a smaller one patterned after the LogRite junior.  The large one is seen carrying multiple pine logs.

I just finished the smaller one and have not yet used it so no pics yet.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Jemclimber

Quote from: NCDiesel on April 17, 2013, 10:59:38 AM

If I made anything it would have to be made out of pipe since I can't justify any fabrication tools for a single project.

I often justify tools for a single project. The project usually is still cheaper than buying new even with a few new tools and once I own the tools they become used on future unforeseen projects.  I think square tubing is easier to work with than pipe for welding, cutting, and fitting. Just my opinion. A hand held  Milwaukee power band saw is so nice for cutting metal. Show us pictures of your build.
lt15

Andy White

NCD       Just finished my arch after adding braces that Jemclimber suggested awhile back. Do not have pictures yet, but this is what it looks like without the braces.  It is made of 3"x2"x1/4" thick rectangle tube. It will carry a 30" x16' log. I have hauled many red oak logs 26" to 28" with no problems.Also use it to turn cants on mill bed without cant hook.    Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

r.man

Andy that is a slick way to load a mill and to use your arch to turn large cants is inspired.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Sprucegum

If you have lots of 2 " pipe available it is doable. Instead of single pipe make small truss type framework. It will be stronger than 3" pipe or sq. tube but involves a lot of fitting and welding.

Sorry, the only pictures are inside my head and don't come out very clear.

clww

Quote from: r.man on April 18, 2013, 09:43:13 AM
Andy that is a slick way to load a mill and to use your arch to turn large cants is inspired.
+1 Andy! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

NCDiesel

Thanks for all the great feed back.   Yes.  Keyboard/ACII art is a lost art  (-:

As for the tools:   Part of the resistance for acquiring additional tools,besides tthe cost spread out over very infrequent use,  is the space.   I have a 30x40 shop and I am out of space already.   I was hoping to see if it was possible to use what I already had. 

As for the truss idea - very interesting.   

Thanks.  More pics would be great!
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

MSSawmill

Quote from: Jemclimber on April 18, 2013, 07:22:30 AM
Quote from: NCDiesel on April 17, 2013, 10:59:38 AM

If I made anything it would have to be made out of pipe since I can't justify any fabrication tools for a single project.

I often justify tools for a single project. The project usually is still cheaper than buying new even with a few new tools and once I own the tools they become used on future unforeseen projects.  I think square tubing is easier to work with than pipe for welding, cutting, and fitting. Just my opinion. A hand held  Milwaukee power band saw is so nice for cutting metal. Show us pictures of your build.
It to go with Jem on this one! You can never have too many tools! Just ask my dad. He has a shop and a barn full of them. (Note: HE has them, therefore WE have them. Whether he likes it or not!)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

DeepWoods

Check out this thread I started a couple years ago when I built my arch

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49642.0.html

I used square tubing, but you may find some ideas from my build that you can adapt to round stock.  Here is a picture of the finished project.  The wheels on top are for a tag axle that I use when hauling logs over 12 feet to take some of the weight off the arch.

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

kelLOGg

Quote from: r.man on April 18, 2013, 09:43:13 AM

I agree AND your neighbors must be very understanding and appreciative of your sawmill.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

moandrich

We used our log arch on the open road today, about 2 miles paved.  2  logs about 22foot.  I had a orange triangle on the back of the log so I must have been legal   :D

woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

in10sity

Careful about mentioning legal limits, vehicle limits, permitting, and weight, never know who is looking.  Four foot overhang off the is rear the limit for most states.  The triangle is for equipment traveling under 25 mph.

m wood

I am just guessing here but were you concerned about legal weight limits for the road with that load moandrich, and how many times did you get going over 25mph :D
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

Most times "legal" is in the eyes of the enforcer.  If it prevents an accident, it is legal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

NCD,your all set with the tools you have.Find a commercial pipe vendor that sells weld on pipe fittings they have everything all you have to do is cut the pipe.These fittings slip over the pipe and weld easily best thing you can get 30 and 45 degrees,tees,ells pretty much anything you want.If you have heavy pipe use it if not truss as suggested. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

As Jem says that hand held Milwaukee bandsaw is a real spoiler.I just bought one at a fleamarket ,like new, for just under $100.00 wished I found one years ago. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!