iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone growing decent doug. fir in Great Lakes region?

Started by wisconsitom, September 26, 2019, 08:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsitom

I know that we're only suitable for the Rocky Mt. type here in the cold Great Lakes.  Even at that, I seldom see really good stock.  This question is just for fun.  I've got way more than enough pine-family stuff already, but always interested in spicing up my planting with a bit of this or that, and the doug. fir comes to my mind about three times a year.

Has anyone-especially in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario, or NE Minnesota had good results with this species, and if so, what was the source of planting stock?

Thanks
Ask me about hybrid larch!

saskatchewanman

Not directly answering your question but am dabbling a bit with the species in southern Saskatchewan.

I am not in a forested region. I am curious about this species ability to grow in hot dry regions such as the low rain shadow valleys of southern British Columbia along with Ponderosa pine, which I consider to be the best adapted conifer in my region. I remember walking through some pinyon pine and juniper in SW Colo many years ago to look at a lonely Doug fir. Because of the nature of the landscapes that the interior Doug fir grows in, I suspect there is a lot of seed source variability.

Spruce (Colorado and White) are often grown in shelterbelts and for landscape purposes but are periodically damaged during exceptionally dry, hot years. I've been looking for a replacement and have seen a few reasonable (and some bad ones!) examples of Doug fir in nearby cities but one never knows the seed source.

I think it is widely grown in some places in France. I also believe I read a paper about it being tested as a replacement for some low elevation dry sites in Switzerland where the native Scots pine and Norway spruce were damaged from drought as the area warmed.

I have a couple of seed sources currently growing, bought as surplus seedlings from PRT's southern BC nurseries. Too early to really learn anything.

Natural Resources Canada has a site where they run species climate adaption characteristics through various climate change model and try to predict future ranges. I find it interesting.

wisconsitom

Helpful info, Sask.  I'm going to take a look at that Canadian material you referenced.  Thanks!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Ron Scott

Douglas fir is grown here for Christmas Trees. It has become one of the popular tree species along with Frazer Fir by the Christmas Tree growers.
~Ron

enigmaT120

I don't think it's possible. You should just stick with whatever your native species are.

Yes this is a joke, I know it's grown all around the world including Germany since the WWII era....  

But I bet I can grow it faster.  
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Thank You Sponsors!