iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new chain breaker and spinner

Started by maple flats, August 11, 2011, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I saw a yard sale in the paper that interested me. I had been there 2 yrs ago and bought 3 HD endless loops without knowing what I might use them for. Soon after I started using them to sling logs under my excavator bucket to load the sawmill. I went to get more. He had none, but I did buy a chain breaker and a spinner. The breaker is the Vise Grip type but the spinner is a very HD bench mount type. It also came with several feet of new chain. I'll check to see if my saw can use the chain. He had the box marked $45 but I offered 20 and after a few minutes he accepted. That is one more thing I had wanted but never bought before. I'll be going to the NYS woodsmans show next weekend. Prices there are the best of the year for bulk chain.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mad murdock

sounds like you did ok.  The vise grip style breakers work pretty well.  Bailey's sells the chain chart that you can put on the bench wherever you mount the spinner, which comes in real handy to match up chain size and number of links when making up new cahin loops from bulk rolls.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

I liked the vise grip chain breaker, i could replace a broken strap or shorten my chain on the saw. I would take one of my old chains and break it up so i'd have all the repair links on hand.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

maple flats

I see no marks on the casting for the bench mount one, but on closer inspection it appears to do both. I see a breaker and a spinner. There is lots of adjustment for position so I think it might be a universal. Not sure about 404 or 3/4 pitch, but I think it will do everything I have. It looks like a very old unit, but appears to be in very good condition. Someday I'll set it up and try it out. It came with lots of chain to practice with and some tie straps in bags labeled McCullough (sp?). It puzzles me that there is no name cast into the very substantial frame or one of the handles.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

I tried the vise grip style, it is a Granberg breaker spinner plier. Apparently I no longer have enough strength with my arthritis, I could not get it to break the chain. I know I have lost lots of grip in the last few years.

lumberjack48

I've had guys ruin my breaker trying to break a chain with one bite.

Tighten the breaker about 3 times and it will push it apart easy.

Push one rivet a little then move to the other one, other wise the strap gets bent, makes it on usable.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

maple flats

Thanks lumberjack48, I'll try that. I did back off on the adjustment but may have not gone enough. I did not work back and forth, was just trying to pop one. I'll give it another try.
Dave

lumberjack48

Use the same method when spinning the rivets, tighten a little [ spin], tighten a little more [ spin] keep a close eye on it so you don't over tighten the rivets, if the strap gets to tight you have to start all over.
I always used used straps, when you use new straps on a used chain, when the new strap goes around the sprocket, the chain tightens up on the bar, makes it hard to adjust the chain, and very hard on sprocket.
I used a vice grip breaker for 20+ yrs, i would fix my chain right on the saw in a couple minutes.

I knew many guys that just couldn't get it, theres always guys that just won't take the time to learn.
Its like anything its all little tricky but once you got its it fun to use.

Thank You Sponsors!