iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hit metal

Started by thedeeredude, January 04, 2006, 10:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Well today he tried resawing the white oak again cause he had a blade he resharpened.  The second cut in, the blade broke ::)  Not metal in the log but just broke.

D._Frederick

joasis

What are you powering that Meadow with?

ARKANSAWYER

I would guess that since I have sawed into all of the dogs, the clamp, the turning claw and even the little piece of square metal that holds the cant for the last cut makes me a Super Senior Membor.   ;D
  But you know you are really good when you can get close and never mess up a blade.

I collect a 5 gallon bucket of metal every year and destroy close to 50 blades.  Keeps  blade inventory fresh.
  If sawing old beams and such 0.055s hold up better and you can take a chainsaw file and dress them a bit to keep sawing.
ARKANSAWYER

isassi

I bought the mill without a power unit as the last owner bought it with power, then let it get rainwater in and busted (UD 15 diesel I believe), so in my search, I found a Hercules 6 cylinder from a Case combine, and at 1950 RPM, I think I am getting about 125 hp. The noise is a combination of no mufler and the meadows has a sawdust blower built it...I didn't hear the metal strike til the teeth were already trashed.  I am kinda watching for a 6-71 detroit power unit, which would be great, but til then, this seems to be great power. I was milling a walnut log that had been down for 3 months and when I had it squared at 18 inches, I was pushing it and cutting 17 feet in 16 seconds with only a 25 rpm drop til the governor opened. I know bigger circle mills will fly, but heck, I have all day.  ;)

rbarshaw

What kind of member are you if you hit dirt?  :o Just a note to all you that make your own mills, make shure that you put some kind of stop at each end of the log bed or you might just push your mill head off the end and watch it land face first in the dirt and try to cut its way to the earths core, that is if you're lucky enough that it does not try to travel along the ground.  :o :o :o Don't ask me how I know this ;D ;D ;D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Buzz-sawyer

Well.......I have seen plenty of pics of your mill....and you could of climbed on it and rode that honda with trailer wheels. ;) :) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

rbarshaw

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on January 22, 2006, 07:57:52 PM
Well.......I have seen plenty of pics of your mill....and you could of climbed on it and rode that honda with trailer wheels. ;) :) :)
Well thanks Buzz, that mill is perty solid, I just picked it up, (had to build an arch to put the chainfall on), set it back on the rails and started into cutting wood again. Wish i'd of taken some pics tho', suppose I was to upset at the time tho'.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!

woodbowl

Quote from: rbarshaw on January 22, 2006, 07:36:18 PM

What kind of member are you if you hit dirt?  :o Just a note to all you that make your own mills, make shure that you put some kind of stop at each end of the log bed or you might just push your mill head off the end and watch it land face first in the dirt ............... 

Uhhhh........  A dirty sawer!   ;D   I cut the stop of my WM to add an extention. I've got a bolt on stop for it now and think about it giving way all the time.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

rbarshaw

A dirty sawyer! :D Now that has all sorts of interestin conotations. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!