iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood stoves,update and need help

Started by fishfighter, November 06, 2015, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

FF
If you are going up above the stove with your insulated stack pipe, and you put it through the roof with the proper thimble, you should have no problem with clearance to your wood parts...

Google this:
Quotewood stove pipe installation through the roof

and you will see the variety of ways to accommodate your roof. But keeping an eagle eye on it when burning is always a must.

Pic of my wood stove.. which I believe to be similar to yours...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

whiskers

Three times the diameter of the black pipe to any combustible. You might consider installing the male ends down to keep any moisture from seeping out at the couplings. Pop rivet the couplings, screws can back out. A black pipe damper can help control a chimney fire. The trim cap (where the smoke and sparks come out) should be 2 feet above any combustible ten feet horizontal or 2 feet above the ridge. The trim cap should have a screen, think sparks and squirrels, helps keep one in and the other out. The foundation should have 18 inches or more in front of the doors, hot stuff rolls out when you least expect it, don't sleep or leave unattended while the doors are open. Bean pot and a kettle you're all set.
many irons in the fire.........

JB Griffin

Its a complete waste of money and fuel to use double wall pipe all the way.
You need to use double wall through the ceiling, attic, and roof, single wall from the stove to the ceiling box for the double wall stuff. The single wall will radiate heat as the fire burns, double wall won't as much.

This is how our flue is set up and how the company that made the triple wall flue kit we bought said to do it.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

fishfighter

JB, I had saw that, but I have concerns about the center beam and heat. The outside of the pipe would be about 12" away at the ceiling. If I remember right, single piping needs 18" clearance.

I would feel a lot better using double wall pipe all the way up.

Thanks guys, y'all putting my mine at ease. Going to order my piping today. The only other problem I see is getting the right roof flashing. The roof is steel R panel. I will contact a few of the companies that sell this type of roofing for a flashing.

gspren

Remember that all of those clearances are double or triple the distance needed under normal circumstances but are aimed at what is needed for an extreme chimney fire. If you want a little extra safety where the pipe goes past the beam use a sheet of stainless about 18" square and space it about an inch off the beam with some ceramic fence post insulators, air travel behind the sheet will protect the beam.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

Your double wall pipe will not give much heat off to harm that wood beam @ 12" distance.

My double wall pipe, with a real hot fire, is almost bearable to keep a hand on it.

But will be easy to monitor as you can see the beam and can test/evaluate any heat problems that might arise, and shield it if necessary. IMO

Another point, you can run this stove hot at times when using it, and not have a problem with any build-up of creosote that would cause a chimney fire.
Doesn't appear that it is an airtight stove, so won't be dampered off at anytime to cause creosote to build up in the first place.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: JB Griffin on November 18, 2015, 10:17:59 PM
Its a complete waste of money and fuel to use double wall pipe all the way.
You need to use double wall through the ceiling, attic, and roof, single wall from the stove to the ceiling box for the double wall stuff. The single wall will radiate heat as the fire burns, double wall won't as much.

He may not want the stovepipe to radiate all that much. I'm not sure how well sealed or insulated the building is, but given that he's only heating 900 sq ft, and he's not in an extremely cold climate, it's possible that firing up that stove might make it so hot it drives him right out of the building.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

fishfighter

Didn't get a chance to order. Kind of fell under the weather. Had a very "bad" day. Sucks fighting heart failure. >:( The wife wanted to rush me to the hospital, but I refused. Have to go in today for blood work anyway.

I will be adding a damper in the piping to help control burn rate. I'm a retired power plant control room operator and used to run a 600 MW coal fire plant. So, when it comes to firing a boiler, I kind of know the ends and outs. ;D

This stove is not air tight at all. I will be adding some gaskets, also sealing the top plate. It is going to be a work in progress as needed.

We only get about three weeks of cold weather a year. Down here one can see all four seasons in a weeks time in the winter. ;D

Once I get it together, I will fire it up and used a IR gun to check temperatures of everything. If I need a shield, I will add one. Good idea of adding fence insulators. ;)

There is one thing that hangs inside the stove. A case iron plate that is hanging on a screw that is above the side door, It is about 4"x 6". I have no idea for what it serves. I will get a picture of it today and where it is mounted.

thecfarm

That piece that hangs down,sounds like to help keep the smoke from coming out towards you when the door is open. But does sound kinda small. Most are on a pivot and will swing into the stove.
That heart of yours is nothing to fool with. I suppose I sound like your wife now???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

That sounds about right on that plate. It does pivot up and swings in.

Next Tuesday will make 5 years to the date from the first time I started with heart failure. All from a viro infection. >:( I had worse days in the pass. I go to a heart transplant center once a month to be checked. Starting next week, I will be going back on IV's for Dubutamine infusions. Been on that on and off the last 4 years. >:( Weekly blood work this morning will tell all what is going on.

21incher

When I installed my woodstove there was a R value on the stove for the base that had to be met. There are listings of the R value of different materials online. I had to stack up 5 layers of cement board and a layer of ceramic tile to make my installation meet the building code.  I use double wall pipe in my house and it helps keep the chimney hot so there has never been any build up of creosote at all. Good luck on your blood work.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!