iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wm lt10, woodland hm126 or central machinery?

Started by jaygtree, September 07, 2014, 07:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaygtree

hi, i'm new to this great forum and have been lurking a while. i use to have a belsaw and am now thinking of getting a small bandsaw mill. would any of you be in northern wisconsin and have one of the mills in the title of this post that i mite be able to take a look at. also does any one cut much red oak with any of these mills. wondering what blade works best in red oak.   thanks.  jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wisconsin.....Red Oak......now there's a combination.  :)

Someone will help you soon. I'm in S.C.

Welcome to the F.F.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jaygtree.  There are many entry level sawmill brands suitable for your use.  I would try to find someone close to you that can give you some hands on experience.  Any of the sawmill brands listed on the Sponsor banner on the left are tried and proven. :) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Welcome Jay, no special band needed for red or any oak for that matter I would as soon mill oak as pine. I use around 7degree 1 1/2" bands for everything but the standard 10 degree work well to. As stated try to find someone local with a band mill and work with him for a wile then you can make a more educated purchase. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF jaygtree.

What happened to the Belsaw?

Best
DGDrls

jaygtree

thank you for your replies. i sold the belsaw about 15 years ago or so . lumber prices were high and i thought i was done building. any band sawmillers here in northern wisconsin?   jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

NMFP

I would stay away from the central machinery mill.  I sharpen for a guy that has one and he has had lots of issues.  Some have had none and some have had a lot. 

They use an odd ball size bearing for the idle side and unfortunately, its not available from Harbor freight.  He had to do some machining to make an off the shelf bearing fit and work correctly.

I think spending a little more money up front will be a better long term investment.  Look around as there are lots of portable mills owned by a generation that's retiring or passing away and you can find bigger mills at really good prices. 

A student of mine just bought a 2005 LT40 SH gas mill for 11k.  Only has 1600 hours and is in great shape.  I know this isn't always the case but look around, you will be surprised at what you will find.

dboyt

Welcome to the forum.  I spent some time with a belt-driven Belsaw, and like band saws MUCH better.  Look at the size of log you will be dealing with and the capabilities of the mills you are considering.  You may find that you soon outgrow the mill.  You do have the right idea about seeing mills in action.  Look at the engine (avoid the ones using small off-brand engines), and frame construction.  The better mills have features that make them much more durable and easier to use.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Barney II

Welcome to the forum.  Where are you located in northern Wis..  There is a bunch of us up here to help out.    Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

jaygtree

i'm just outside bayfield, close to the cable area.would you know anyone  with a small mill in the area.

Barney II

I was up to Bayfield on last Friday.  I think I know where you are located.  I have a 1985 lt30 and from what I can tell there are 4 or five mills fairly close by us.  You are more than welcome to come down to my place and get an idea of what a band mill is about.  Just let me know ahead of time so I am sure to be here.    Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

36 coupe

Buying on price alone never works.CM mill looks like the Woodlands.A fellow in Northern CA bought a Woodlands paying freight when he could have bought a better mill  in driving distance from him.In fact there are 2 mfg near him.

Thank You Sponsors!