iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dog Board on (1986) LT30

Started by Chuck White, April 09, 2018, 07:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I went and helped my new Amish neighbor pick up his recently purchased LT30!

The seller made the comment "I don't really like it because the Dog Board must be 2"!

I didn't want to discourage the sale, so I didn't say anything until we were on the road with it!

I told the buyer that if it's true, just lay a 1" board on the deck, under the 2" then you can saw the dog board at 1"

Is this how the LT30 owners do it, or is the 2" dog board issue even true?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

It was true on early WM don't know when the change was made to be able to saw to 1''.Many have done what you suggest,others have added 1'' steel stock to compensate.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

On my 1986 lt30 mill it is 3" not two, and it is a pain. When sawing I saw a 3" cant out of the first log that will saw a a nice straight cant, then keep that aside for when I need to saw closer to the bed than 3"which is usually every log. It is the one thing I do not like about my old mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Thanks for the replies!

The second owner of this mill was Amish, and a few things were changed over!

The feed is now "push through", and the up/down system now has a hand-crank on it!

He still has all the parts that were taken off!

The mill has a 16hp Kohler, and that's the only thing the battery is used for!

Neighbor/owner says he's only going to use it on his & his brothers farms, so the tires have been removed and he's going to run it on the rims!

We borrowed the wheels off my mill to go get it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crossroads

When I had my 85 lt30 I added 2" to the bed, but was still only able to get down to about 1 3/4" because of the idle side guide roller/adjustable slide would still hit. It is possible to notch the 2" lift kit so things would pass, but without relocating the guide rollers I don't think you could get below about 1 1/2". 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

trapper

With my 1987 LT30 I can cut to 7/8
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

jb616

I added 2x2 tubing on my '85 but I think i only made them 16" long so that I could get down to that last inch because I have to clear the bottom of the roller guide wheel. I made a mark on the slide for the adjustable end of the guide wheel. Most logs are able to sit on that 16" but I have 6" extiensions that I can slide on as well. You also have to watch out for the log clamp. I profiled the head of the clamp a bit to make it easier to get by and also cut off a quarter inch of the tabs on the bar of the log clamp to get it to sit lower if I want. Still thinking about making more mods to the log clamp like moving the lever down a little bit to clear better.  Also, I believe that the newer models don't have the lower guide wheel. Maybe modifications can be made to that for more clearance. Always thinking, always changing. 

CCCLLC

WOW! Never heard this before. My oldest mill is a1990 lt40. It has the flip clamp so I make it down to 7/8". 1990 was cutting edge then.

Thank You Sponsors!