iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bigtooth Aspen - How to saw it?

Started by locustoak, March 18, 2020, 09:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustoak

I have a large, 20" diameter bigtooth aspen that I hate to turn into firewood. Problem is I have no experience sawing this. So - what would you saw it into? I intend to sell the lumber, so what would a customer even use this wood for? If it doesn't sell, I might use it for building some shelves, or other odd projects.

Also, is Bigtooth Aspen prone to twist, bending, or warp? Or does it dry pretty straight? This is different than the Aspens growing out west. This is a midwest tree.

Anyway, any tips or recommendations are appreciated!

barbender

I don't know that it behaves any differently than quaking aspen, which it grows alongside of throughout it's (bigtooth) range. The lumber is indistinguishable from each other. It saws nicely, flip your cant often to even out stress and don't saw overly wide boards out of it as it likes to cup.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Sawed one a couple of years ago, was a yard tree, did as barbender said and it came out fine.  Being a one off for this area it sold quite well. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

47sawdust

My experience has been that it saws very nice,very heavy when wet.If it has a lot of internal stress it will curl as you saw it and become kindling wood.
It is an under rated utility wood if the logs are good.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

locustoak

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. Looking forward to trying this new wood.
Now, would you recommend 2" material? 1" material? Or cut it into 4x4's for carving and table legs?

cutterboy

I have sawed Quaking Aspen a number of times into one inch boards and sold it all. In fact I'm out now but have a stack drying. At first customers bought it because they wanted to try something new, but now I have repeat buyers for it.
   I find that Aspen saws easily and behaves itself while drying. I like sawing it. Some boards are all white and some have a rusty red color around the knots and near the pith.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

randy d

I have some drying in my pole shed right now.  It does saw well and I have had good luck with it drying nice and straight. Randy

firefighter ontheside

I think I would lean toward 4/4 or 5/4.  I doubt people will be wanting to build tables or other things that require thick lumber.  I've sawn some quaking aspen and it cut like a hot knife thru butter.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

moodnacreek

Jeff

Bigtooth makes excellent framing lumber if allowable in your area. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

locustoak

Quote from: Jeff on March 22, 2020, 11:00:40 AM
Bigtooth makes excellent framing lumber if allowable in your area.
Thanks Jeff. In your experience, does bigtooth warp or twist much during drying?

Corley5

My house is built mostly of big tooth.  If allowed to dry it'll warp and twist some.  We used it green, fresh off the mill and used lots of spiral and ring shank nails.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brucer

One of my customers made a ceiling with clear 1/2" Quaking Aspen. He wanted a very light coloured wood to brighten up the room. It looked great. I'd expect Bigtooth Aspen to be similar.

Unfortunately, he did the project before I had the mill, so I didn't get to saw it :(.

A local woodworker has started a business making custom skis and he uses clear aspen for the cores.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!