iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trouble selling walnut and cherry.

Started by Qweaver, April 04, 2017, 10:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm getting several people wanting to buy walnut and cherry  but they bulk at paying $3 BdFt.  Am I asking too much?  I may just close my sawmill as a business.  Big investment---small return!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dgdrls

I think you can only work your $$ values against the local market and what you'll accept for the associated costs and labor
Do you have a local Hardwood seller to compare costs?
What are local logs selling at?

This is how I gauge Walnut,  I also sell short stock from less than straight logs which the cutting-board makers and artisans
like to purchase.

Did you sell the swing-mill?
Best
D

WV Sawmiller

Quint,

I sell my cherry for $3/bf and walnut for $5. More for mantels, cookies, crotches and such. They do not sell fast but I'm not in a huge rush. How are you advertising? I had a 10' X 2" X 16"-17" walnut slab marked for $160 that had not sold so marked it up to $200 and put it in a local antique/consignment shop and guy called me a couple of days ago saying he was going to buy it and was interested in other items I might have. I sold a 3' long X 23" wide X 2" thick walnut crotch for $50 and 3- 2" X 23" diameter cookies at a flea market Sunday for $65. I've sold several rough sawed live edge cherry mantels about 3" X 12" X 8' for around $200 over the last year. A couple had some serious sweep so I squared off the back and left the front rounded for more character/unique feature.

I don't think your prices are unreasonable. I think you just need to work on your advertising and marketing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Glenn1

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Q, where do you advertise?

My lumber is air dried and sprayed for Powder Post Beetle.
My prime Walnut sells for $7.50 / bf air dried.
Cherry is $7.50 / bf air dried.
I have some Walnut I will take to the kiln. When it gets back home it will go for $9.50 and is already spoken for.

My Walnut table slabs are $200-$300 each and ARE NOT sold by the bf.

I've had customers drive over 2 hours to get Walnut slabs.

You may just need to reach more customers by Craigs List and all the Facebook selling pages.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

In my area, your prices would be cheap.  The problem is not with you, it is with your customers.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: Qweaver on April 04, 2017, 10:33:11 AM
I'm getting several people wanting to buy walnut and cherry  but they bulk at paying $3 BdFt.  Am I asking too much?
You didn't mention what grade you are selling.  The last time I checked, the going rate in the Hardwood Market Report for FAS walnut is about $4.
How much do you have? ;D

If it's FAS grade or better, I'll  buy your good walnut for $3.00 no problem, green or kiln dried and sell it for $8 all day long.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

$5 for FAS cherry, dont have any walnut.
I dont move much hardwood some has been in my pole bldg for 6 7 years maybe more.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!