iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

walnut

Started by coxy, September 29, 2013, 07:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

wanted to know how to plant walnuts if you plant them green or dry and do you have to remove the outer skin or leave it on     thanks

beenthere

Easier to handle if you shed the nut from the hull (outer skin which quickly turns to black mush). Then put in the ground just the same as the squirrels do it. No need to dry the nut.

To protect them from the squirrels digging them up, some use tin cans and remove both ends and slip that down around the nut. Apparently the squirrels can't get to the nut, and the can eventually rusts away.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

thanks beenthere    sorry forgot to ask how deep you put them in the ground   and should I put a small fence a round them so the deer don't eat the shoots 

nk14zp

When do you sprinkle the gold pixie dust on it to get the million dollar tree?  And where can you get the dust?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

beenthere

:D
coxy
No more than a couple inches in the ground.
And the deer don't care for walnut seedlings.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

We just wait for a rain, then stomp them in with the heel, skin and all after they are ripe. In our clay loam to silt loam soils, the skins sort of just stay on the surface and the nut gets shoved in deep enough to stay moist until the root emerges the following spring. Seems to work for us. Just grab a 5 gallon bucket full and go. Very easy and pretty fast too. If they hit a good spot they win seed bingo and become million dollar walnuts. ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

coxy

not looking for million dollar trees just  thousands & thousands :D not to greedy  and did not know that deer wont eat walnuts  :'(  thanks for the info   could some one send me some silver dust  don't like gold :) ;D 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

The deer eat the heck out of mine. >:( Maybe it depends on where you are and how hungry your deer are.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Prolly is better than mesquite. 
south central Wisconsin

mesquite buckeye

Maybe so, but I don't have any mesquite in Missouri. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!