iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outdoor wood boilers

Started by icefishingrulz, March 14, 2014, 10:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icefishingrulz

Newbie here with the age old question Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs ????.

I currently own a Central Boiler CL5036 with a propane furnace back up(house furnace) and about 3600 sq ft.  It has been in service 4 years (with no problems) and have been heating with it since we purchased the house.  The first year (normal Northern Minnesota winter) i burned about 6 cords of oak slabs to heat the house (no domestic hot water and no shop).  Pretty good I thought as i estimated my propane bill around $3000 - $3500 for that year vs $600 for wood. Year 2 I added hot water and a 30x60 garage with in floor heat.  It was a warmer than normal winter and we used about 3 cord of oak slab and 11 cord of birch slab.  Year 3 normal winter and used about 21 cords of oak cord wood cut and split but not seasoned well.  Year 4 (this year) was below zero F more than  it was above zero and estimated about 23 cord to get through May.  This year (year 4) it became painfully obvious that the boiler is a little undersized. 9 hoour burn time at -20F or colder.  Which leads me to my question....... If I were to replace it, what is the best choice?  I will not buy a Gasification simply because I am never ahead on firewood.  They don't work well with wood not seasoned really well.  So I am seeking info regarding warranty, problems, successes etc.  Really intrigued with the Portage and Main Ultimizer because of the firebrick/concrete lined bottom.

thecfarm

icefishingrulz,welcome to the forum. I have the old style,Heatmor,I can't buy one like mine. Check out the regs where ever you live. Alot has changed in the past few years about OWB and wood stoves too!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

spyder68

If your state allows you to have a non gasser now. You better upgrade before  2015. The epa is going to outlaw non gassers. Portage and main makes a good brick lined non gasser.

Thank You Sponsors!