iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Must be the season for mill tune and painting! Here is mine freshly done.

Started by golddredger, October 28, 2014, 05:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golddredger

I added another 8.5 ft so I can cut a 21'6" long log now. Then painted the entire rig. Came out great and have already been slicing up logs for the last week now that the paint is dry. I am cutting the lumber and timbers for a mill shed for the mill. Will post pictures when the mill shed is finished and it is parked inside nice and cozy. This is the mill I built from recycled metal from various projects and park model trailer frame. I used the 18" upright bandsaw now on it's side with a 1957 or so Wisconsin 9.25hp engine. The muffler is International Harvester from around 1930's. I will be adding power up and down very shortly. I run Cook's blades right now and I built it to use the 158" Wooodmizer size. So I am going to give some Woodmizer double hards a try next. This is not the permanent spot for the mill just set here and leveled to cut the few more beams I need for the mill shed. I will pull the wheels and tires once it is under the shed to lower the setup down and that way there will be no blocks under the leveling jacks. Total cost in this mill is $700 including the first box of 10 blades.

Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

slider

al glenn

drobertson

OH YEA!  now you're cooking!  nice!  That ought to work just fine!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Looks good. We would not mind seeing picture of the the mill shed being built too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

reswire

Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Ljohnsaw

That is a really clean looking build!  Nice.   8)

You could just dig a little ditch for the tires to drop it down.  Then you would be ready to go portable any time the need arises!  You could do a reverse "speed bump" - back up until it drops and you know you are in the right place.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Joe Hillmann

How do you lock the head down when you travel with it?  So far mine has only moved around the yard and I have just use small ratchet straps and I don't think they would cut it for highway travel.  I am trying to figure out a way to bolt the head solidly to the trailer for towing it or getting some chain binders to hold it good and tight to the trailer.

golddredger

Thanks for the comments guys.

Joe,
I to use rachet straps when moving around the yard. I have not taken it yet to a new site. But I plan to simply make a flat plate for both sides that runs a grrade 8 bolt through the frame rails and the carriage legs. This will be 1/4" plate. That will lock it down for road travel. Also lower the saw head to the lowest it can go. I need to make those plates and mount tail lights.

Speed bump and dip....... yes that is a good plan. I will see if I can do that. Will just depend on the rocks in the ground. But I will try it!

Yep I will snap some shots of the mill shed as well. I am doing a timber frame build.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

36 coupe

I dont see any provision to keep the mill head from  coming off the track if some thing goes wrong.My Thomas has a pair off steel clamps for moving the mill.Came with the mill.Do not trust straps, the fabric degrades in sun light.Ask Joe Hillman about having the mill head derail.He has first hand knowledge...

Stephen1

Very nice job, nice and clean design. Congradulations!
I know about saw heads coming off the track, my 1st mill after I repaired it, I was moving it in the yard, my strap let go and I was on a small incline and the saw head came into the back of the pick-up truck. The dents are still in the back of the tailgate. :(
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: 36 coupe on October 29, 2014, 07:27:25 AM
I dont see any provision to keep the mill head from  coming off the track if some thing goes wrong.My Thomas has a pair off steel clamps for moving the mill.Came with the mill.Do not trust straps, the fabric degrades in sun light.Ask Joe Hillman about having the mill head derail.He has first hand knowledge...

Here is the thread 36 coupe is talking about.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76459.msg1160037.html#msg1160037
We got lucky that no one was hurt and it only did $200 or so worth of damage to the mill.

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Thank You Sponsors!