iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

God watched over another fool

Started by mad murdock, September 26, 2018, 10:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Well, the fact I am typing this is a miracle.  Last Saturday, in an effort to help my neighbor who is paraplegic since 19-20 years old (now in early 60's) remove a large WRC that had fallen across the creek, I took a tumble of sorts.  The scenario was thus, 35' of 4' + dia wrc spanned his creek, he was worrried with winter coming on, that it could plug the creek, near where they have a hydro power plant and earthen dam. Plan was to clean up the remaining portion (35' long) that bridged from bank to bank, and remove.  Problem was it was too large for his Takaheuchi tracked skid steer with logging grapple/arch/winch to move. I went out on the "bridge", limbed all remaining limbs so we could size up what we were up against, that all went well.  Decided to cut from the small end 19' which put me about 12-15' over the ground. Plan all went well, I carefully cut vertically, leaving "leave wood" in the center of the cut, whereby he could tug on the small end and break it off, after I had safely gotten off the log, obviously.  Made the initial cut until it "popped" and dropped an inch or so, got off and he tried to move it, too big, heavy for his machine to twitch, so I felt good about going back out and relieving a bit more, did so, it popped and moved a little more, I got off the log, he still couldn't move it.  I began to tell him, I thought we needed a larger machine. He felt he could move the pieces if we could just separate the 2, so I talked myself into going out one more time(that was my mistake), and was going to relieve a bit more leave wood, well I no sooner touched the chain to the cut, and pow! It let loose, luckily I was on the piece that dropped horizontally, but as it dropped it rolled a bit, kicking my legs out from under me, I went down about 10-12' on my back landing on branches, but the surprise was that there was a branch sticking straight up like a stobb, about 2-2 1/2" in dia, broken off that poked me in the back, very fortunate, did not puncture skin, hit me to the right of spinal column, and below ribs, no broken bones, no kidney damage, just real sore muscles and back.  Had help there who was able to help me up, and after gaining composure for a few min, I was able to "line" myself up the cable line about 20' to get up out of the creek bottom. Long story short, if you don't think something is a good idea, don't let yourself get talked into doing something risky! Not even by yourself!  I am grateful to still be amongst the living, and share my story here so that maybe it will cause someone(even myself) to really think twice before hitting the stupid lever!  God is Great, and miracles do happen, this fool was watched over by Divine providence last Saturday!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ljohnsaw

:o
Wow, a very close one!  You were lucky that day.  Glad you injuries were limited and you weren't skewered!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Glad you are okay.  How come we never learn not to do dumb things until after we have already done them? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Because we don't consider the implications of what will happen if things don't go the way we expect them to.  At least that has been the lesson I have learned after doing such things.  

Glad to hear you are OK - obviously that could have turned out very differently.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Whew.......... You were very lucky!  ;)  :)

Thank God! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Thank you to above for keeping green side up another day!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sawguy21

:o You are very fortunate, that could have resulted in a broken back or worse! Thanks for the reminder, occasionally we need them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

petefrom bearswamp

Wow Glad you are OK.
I have certainly had my share of stupid careless mistakes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

First and most important I am glad to read where you are/will be OK.

Now, what about the log?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Thankful it wasn't any worse than it was!  Things can occur so quickly and in unexpected ways.  You are right, be very suspicious of sketchy situations.  If it feels dangerous, more than likely it is.

Where's the log now?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

mad murdock

I am doing pretty well considering, I did stop by the neighbors place on the way back from working on helicopters today, to size up what they were able to bring up to the top of the dam. They were able to load an 8 and a 10 with trim, and the butt log is 8 with trim. There is a nice clear piece about 5' long that will make some nice shakes , just have to drag it up. Will get some pics over the next few days. Thanks for the thoughts on my behalf too!  Just want to share things so others can learn from my mistakes without having to learn themselves first hand. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

Sounds like you had a Wile E. Coyote kind of day!

Ed_K

Ed K

YellowHammer

I'm glad you are OK, could have been a lot worse.  

I for one, would grudge saw that log with extreme prejudice. ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Terminate with extreme prejudice.... Never thought of you as the spook type there Hammer.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!