iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Luckyest Man In The World

Started by Cypress Man, October 13, 2013, 10:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress Man

I've been working with my Dad running our sawmill since 2000. Our first mill was a new 2000 lt40hdg25. As our business grew, we upgraded to a lt40shdE25 in 2006. Last month my Dad turned 65yrs old. He's always been there to guide me along in this business and has been a tremendus help in the day to day operations of sawmilling. He is truley a blessing to me and hope he is around for a long time to come. We've recently decided to put our 2006 lt40 shdE25 up for sale and once again upgrade to help make things a little easier. Last week I ordered a new Woodmizer LT70 DCS controls, wide head, 30 HP electric mill with all the bells and whistles and was able to pay for it outright just from sawing. I would have never dreamed of one day being able to afford to buy a mill like this when we started out 13yrs ago in the back yard with a little orange mill.  There were many people thinking we were crazy just for trying. I want to thank the great folks at Woodmizer Ms, for helping me with the purchase of this new mill.  Woodmizer has always been a great company to work with and has always stood behind their equipment. To those of you thinking of starting your our business (whatever kind) there is no greater reward than working for yourself(and with your Dad). I'll keep you all updated on how the new mill performs when it comes in next month.

Thanks,
Cypress Man
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

shortlogger

Wow , sounds like your on a roll !
I'm afraid if my dad and I milled together every day we would spend more time arguing than sawing, we always seem to want to do it a different way
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

barbender

Awesome! Buying a new LT70 outright with money you earned yourself sawing has to give you a great feeling!  8)
Too many irons in the fire

stavebuyer

Nothing like having a plan come together! Congrats on your success and I am sure you will love the new 70 DCS. Glad you appreciate your situation; but think that 13 years of hard work probably helped to make you "lucky"!

Chuck White

Congratulations on your (and Dad's) success.   8)    8)
                                                                    You    Dad
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

We was having our house built back then. Sounds like you both have done well. What's the name of your business? Website?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Congrats on your lasting success!  and have to agree, hard work and good luck are two different things,  but in any case, just real happy for you, a appreciate seeing a grateful attitude, your dad must be very proud of you,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

You have done well, and I am sure that your Dad is very proud of you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GDinMaine

Great story and I love the name of your town too. :D

How about the before and after pictures.  It would be nice to see them.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: shortlogger on October 13, 2013, 11:13:24 PM

I'm afraid if my dad and I milled together every day we would spend more time arguing than sawing, we always seem to want to do it a different way

This is me and my Dad. And then we go to lunch and argue over who is gonna buy the other one's lunch.  :D

Wat to go CYPRESS!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redprospector

Quote from: Cypress Man on October 13, 2013, 10:12:29 PM
I've been working with my Dad running our sawmill since 2000. Our first mill was a new 2000 lt40hdg25. As our business grew, we upgraded to a lt40shdE25 in 2006. Last month my Dad turned 65yrs old. He's always been there to guide me along in this business and has been a tremendus help in the day to day operations of sawmilling. He is truley a blessing to me and hope he is around for a long time to come. We've recently decided to put our 2006 lt40 shdE25 up for sale and once again upgrade to help make things a little easier. Last week I ordered a new Woodmizer LT70 DCS controls, wide head, 30 HP electric mill with all the bells and whistles and was able to pay for it outright just from sawing. I would have never dreamed of one day being able to afford to buy a mill like this when we started out 13yrs ago in the back yard with a little orange mill.  There were many people thinking we were crazy just for trying. I want to thank the great folks at Woodmizer Ms, for helping me with the purchase of this new mill.  Woodmizer has always been a great company to work with and has always stood behind their equipment. To those of you thinking of starting your our business (whatever kind) there is no greater reward than working for yourself(and with your Dad). I'll keep you all updated on how the new mill performs when it comes in next month.

Thanks,
Cypress Man
Congratulations on having a good harvest for all the hard work you and your dad have put in for the last 13 years.
The one thing you mentioned that makes me a little envious is your dad.
My dad was my best friend, and a hard old man (father). He died in 2006, I miss him.
Enjoy the new mill, and treasure every minute you have working with your dad.  smiley_beertoast

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Cypress Man

Thanks for all the kind words.  Our website is jonesandjonescypress.com and yes I will send pictures when the mill comes in.  Thanks Andy, sorry about your Dad. Im sure you miss him terribly.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

thecfarm

Cypress Man,I see you are 42. That's how old my Father was when I was born. I did not get to enjoy him for that many years.Only 35 years. We cut wood together on this land the last 3 years of his life. I think that was the best time I had of all the years. Taught me alot and we had time to talk. He did not get to see me buy a mill,but we looked at a few of them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

What a great story. Congratulations to you both! 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

customsawyer

This is a great story. Keep up the hard work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sigidi

Good onya mate  ;)

It is funny how "lucky" hard working folkes get  8)
Always willing to help - Allan

samandothers

Great story and thanks for sharing.  Congratulations on your great progress.  Enjoy the blessings of being able to work with your dad.

YellowHammer

Good things happen to good people. Congratulations.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dad2FourWI

I too am jealous!!!!

I wish my father could have been here to enjoy the mill and harvesting "our" wood!!!

Great story and keep up the hard work!... and REMEMBER to enjoy each day and your time together!!!!

Cheers!
-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

morgoon

That is a great story!

I'm sure your dad is proud of your accomplishments, good luck with the new mill.

Oh and pics pics pics :)
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

SPD748

Congratulations on your success and on the purchase! I learned a long time ago to set money (both made and lost) aside and take notice that time spent with my Dad is truly priceless. May you two have many more successful and happy years together.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Magicman

You started out right by choosing the right Dad.   :D

Congratulations to both of you for your relationship, and oh, also on the new LT70.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!