iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

carrier brakes, loader/slasher

Started by tw3006, January 10, 2009, 03:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw3006

i have a loader with a self propelled carrier, i was thinking of putting a disc type brake on the drive shaft like some skidders have, just as an emergency brake. anyone with any ideas where i could find something like this, or any other ideas??

rputt.tj200

I think you will have some luck looking at 4x4 shops, they sell several kits that you can mount on the back of transfer cases or to the pinion yoke.  i have an older timberjack 201 that had a drum brake on the back of the transfer, i swapped it out and fabricated a disc brake from an old chevy cavalier.  it took some work and head scratching but it works great.  i put a mirco lock in the line and it doubles as a parking brake.  Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts has some pics of transfer case ones online that might get you thinking.  I have read that most of those brake setups only hold around 8,000 pounds, my machine is smaller weighing around 7,000.  my brake holds well on any ground.

stonebroke

My versatile bidirectional tractor has a setup like this , also I has seen some monster trucks with disc brakes on the pinion. You could go with a disc off a hyd. braked larger truck(f 650-750 range)

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!