iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Capstan winch

Started by tab140, December 26, 2010, 01:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tab140

I am yet another newbe who has been learning alot from you all and reading old posts.  The portable capstan winches are what I am interested in knowing more about.  I have a small 30 acre parcel that I want to get some of the dead standing oaks down and to the trail.  The parcel has been select cut about 6 years ago so no really big stuff is there.  Do the capstan winches work as good as they say?  Did any one ever have trouble with the Honda motor not holding up?  I was thinking about if the motor crapped out could another be put on?   On another tangent, did anyone ever make a light duty skidder out of an old beater pick up truck?  Say with a Mile Marker winch mounted on the back.  I have moderatly slopped terrain in central PA.  I wanna ease into the equipment until I see what works.  I was trying to find a place that rented the Jonsered Iron Horse.  So far I just did some close short skids with my chevy and some bull rope.  I am definitly hooked!

beenthere

The portable capstan winch will be easy to carry to the area you need it. The pickup will not be as easy to get there.
Member Kevin has some good threads on using the portable winches, and there are good videos on YouTube of using them to pull down hung trees, and getting trees/logs to the trails for pickup or tractor pulling.

I've managed to get by without one (although came close to buying one several times) but had situations where I wished I had one to use.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fuzzybear

It's not powered by a capstan but rather an old hand winch.  once you build one you will wonder how you got along without it.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

tab140

Thanks,  I will check out the you tube videos.  That truck set up is what I have in mind.  I can get a short bed chevy 4x4 for 1 grand.  I guess my goal is low impact on the forest floor.  Skidding in the snow is defininalty the way to go.  My little log sled works good.  Give me some scrap steel and my welder and I am a happy one!  I would lobe to see anyones home made winch set ups.

Ironwood

I love that truck.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Kevin

The portable capstan winch I have works pretty well in conjunction with the skidding cone.
I use it for staging logs and pulling logs out where I can't get the argo and log arch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFx3gaBpVmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4luqApbG4ag

Quebecnewf

Buy the capstan winch called Portable Winch . Best money i ever spent 

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12408/HPIM0906.JPG [/IMG]

Pulls good and motor is a Honda that works like a charm.

Quebecnewf

beenthere

Quote from: Quebecnewf on December 30, 2010, 07:17:52 PM
Buy the capstan winch called Portable Winch . Best money i ever spent 

Pulls good and motor is a Honda that works like a charm.

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf
How are you doing with the ice crossing? I've a feeling not so good yet.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tab140

Thanks for all the imput guys.  The videos are what pushed me.  I ordered one yesterday.  I think it will be perfect for the trees I have to get to my trail.  I ordered the large drum too.  I will let you know how it works for my deal.  Evryone have a safe and enjoyable New Year. 

Kevin

What choice of rope are you using?
Don't forget you can always add a block or two to increase the mechanical advantage.

tab140

Kevin,
    I went with the 1/2 inch double braided rope from arborist.com.  Dave, there was a real help and is actually getting me the winch too. 

Thank You Sponsors!