iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Case 800 skidder questions

Started by TapHead, March 12, 2012, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TapHead

While looking for an inexpensive skidder I have come across an ad for a Case 800 skidder, it looks in decent shape from the photos, so I have a few general questions for those who have maybe seen or worked with one of these.

As far as overall size, which models from Timbejack or John Deere would it compare too? (looking for a smaller size)
Since I would need this trucked to my location does anyone have a rough idea how much they weigh?
Overall are they/were a decent machine or a don't even think about it type machine?
The ad says it has a 543 turbo for an engine, I'm guessing a typo and he meant 453 as I cannot find any info on a 543, is there such a thing?

I know that parts and service are a big consideration as Case skidders do not seem to be very popular.

After getting some info, I will decide if/when to call and set up a time to see it and check it out.

lumberjack48

It is a big skidder, I would say 13000 to 14000 lbs, it would be like a C6 or C7 TFarmer. I can't see the number on this one, that board covers it up, but it's a 4-53 so most likely same model your looking at.

Nice looking skidder, very will built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kEajRDuX8
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Woodhauler

My father had 2 different case skidders! They bwas newer then that one, had a case motor in them! Think they was 825 skid kings. I ran one in my high school years and loaded a tri axle log truck with 3 skids of hardwood! This was a 50000pound load! At least 3-3.5 cords per skid with no problem!!! Parts was not a problem.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

i worked for a case dealer in the mid 70's i know they had a couple new ones at the time. they didnt sell real well. those had a case motor. and they were big. didnt case stop building skidders in the late 70's? i would dought you could walk into a case dealer and buy anything for it. maybe engine parts

lumberjack48

Parts, 4-53 Detroit, Rockwell rear ends, Gearmatic 19 Winch, Trans,? its a Allison, Clark, Funk, ect  you know what I'm trying to say all standard parts.

O-Yes that Ole girl well pull.

This is basically the same skidder as my S8 International i had, it had a 3-53 with a 4 speed Funk. In good 8 stick Aspen i could average 2 cd drags
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

I called on this very skidder a few months ago and they said they didn't need it any more because they had other skidders. Yes it has a 4-53 turbo Detroit and a gearmatic 19 winch. Machine seems in decent shape but seems to be very top heavy I wouldn't want to use it on hilly ground.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Woodhauler

THey look top heavy but once you get over that fear they are really stable!! I ran one all  through high school and never upset it!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

lumberjack48

This Case is the same power as a Timber Jack 404, 4-53

tlap612

I might have an opportunity to get one of these for $4k. Needs a new head gasket, fuel pump, and battery. This thread hasn't been touched in a while, what are you guy's thoughts?
2xO44, MS362, Kubota 3240, Central E-Classic 1400, TW-2/36

ga jones

Detroits don't have head gaskets if it has a Detroit.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

coxy

the 300-400-600-800 skid kings had case motors I think they tried to copy Cummings they look close to each other  if it has a Detroit its been changed the old case Beloit had a 353 think it was about a 68-69   I have a 74 300 skid king pulls better than my cat about the same size but lot less weight  the case motors had a big problem of the oil pump/ balancer would brake and jam this letting the crank shaft to brake  on mine the oil pump was changed and the balancer was taken out it will vibrate your eyes out of your head over half throttle  the 800 is a power shift and the winch was called a rinomatic on the one my buddy had  but if you want speed that's not the skidder its slower than slow when pulling up hill it will all most come to a stop but keeps going  I also think cat bought out the case forestry line but had to build skidders under the case name for a few years

snowstorm

case and cummins had a joint venture and called it consolidated diesel. thats how the 3.9 and 5.9 came to be. i was also told that iveco had a role in all this. since they bought case

ga jones

Case cummins and fiat. Fiat and CNH split away from cummins and now there is FPT in CNH..I think that's how it went....
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

so il logger

Quote from: ga jones on September 09, 2015, 04:39:54 PM
Detroits don't have head gaskets if it has a Detroit.

They have moulded rubber sealing gaskets. Or moulded o-rings, most people just call whatever seals between head and block a gasket. I figure we all know what he meant. But I doubt it is a detroit

tlap612

Supposedly this is a 1980. Thanks for your help guys.
2xO44, MS362, Kubota 3240, Central E-Classic 1400, TW-2/36

coxy

could be wrong but I think they stopped making case skidders around 74-75  got any pics of it

snowstorm

Quote from: ga jones on September 09, 2015, 08:43:36 PM
Case cummins and fiat. Fiat and CNH split away from cummins and now there is FPT in CNH..I think that's how it went....
fpt = fiat power train they are also in the marine engine biz. in1991 they bought ford new holland in 99 they bought case ih

IDAHO EXTREME

I have a 1977 Case 400c Skid King.  It has a Esco grapple. Seems to be a good aching so far.  Some parts are hard to find. 
Case 400c Skid King Grapple skidder
1987 Freightliner log truck
Lots of Stihl saws

coxy

Quote from: IDAHO EXTREME on October 04, 2015, 07:08:17 PM
I have a 1977 Case 400c Skid King.  It has a Esco grapple. Seems to be a good aching so far.  Some parts are hard to find.
your 400 looks like my 300 is it auto or standard  looks like yours has the case motor  good looking skidder  ;D

IDAHO EXTREME

Thanks. It is a auto Power Shift and does have the Case 336 turbo diesel.   You got any pics?
Lots of Stihl saws

coxy

ill get some pic of it but yours looks brand new compared to mine  :) I also have a 336 non turbo I rebuilt last year one of my liners got a pin hole in it and alien blood was going it the oil

IDAHO EXTREME

Wow.  Not good.  At least you have a new engine now.  Good to hear I'm not the only one with a Case.  Not a lot of them around Idaho. 
Lots of Stihl saws

Thank You Sponsors!