iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

De-barking eastern red cedar help???

Started by Logger615, January 19, 2015, 12:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger615

So I have access to a lot of really nice Red cedar and would like to build a new 3 sided shed over my dog kennels. The cedar I have available is between 4 in - 12in and very strait and many smooth up to 12 foot or so with very little branches. The main question is, what is the best way to de-bark these? I love the look of the old mountain cabin furniture and want to have that look. I looked and tried a serch here but didn't really come up with much. TIA Jason

outlawcowboy

What I've always done is just leave the bark on until the tree was dry and then peel it by hand and it comes off in long strips without much effort. Dont know if that helps but that's the way I've always done it for post
1999 ford F-350 7.3 diesel
1961 Massey Ferguson 65: 50hp diesel
Stihl MS391
Stihl MS192

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

caveman

If you don't plan on using them immediately, put them in a pond for  a few months and the bark will sluff right off without any effort.  The wood will smell sour for a few days until it begins to dry.
Caveman
Caveman

thecfarm

I have no idea about TN and red cedar,but the cedar I have,in the spring,when it starts to warm up,from May to late June,that cedar will peel real easy freshly cut. Just get under the bark and with no knots,long strips will come off. The hardest part is getting it out of the woods without scaring the logs up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Robert Owens

Just let the log dry for a while and the bark comes off easily with a draw knife. You can cut through some of the sap wood to get to the heart wood if wanted. I cut one log into fourths for mantels and just sanded down outside with exposed heartwood. Very easy to work with.

Logger615

How long should I let the logs dry before I can use them in construction of the shed? or do they even need to be for that purpose?
I plan on using some of the smaller stuff with furniture both indoor and out, I am guessing it needs to be fairly dry for that maybe?

Jason

Thank You Sponsors!