iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cubic meters

Started by gtr, April 01, 2006, 01:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr

Does any one know how to convert cubic meters into board ft

SwampDonkey

1 m^3 = 0.164 MFBM or 164 bf (8 ft softwood)

do a forum search as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Do you mean a m3 of logs, or a m3 of sawn timber?

If you are talking about sawn timber, it's a block of wood, 1m on each side, where a bdft is 12" x 12" x 1".
So for sawn timber it's a block 3.28' x 3.28' x 39.4" = 424 Bdft
Thats only approx because of variables in the bd/ft rule, like if wood is only 7/8" then it's still counted as 1" for working out quantities. So it might not be exact.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

extrapolate85

It depends on which BF you want. If it BF lumber talley per m3 log scale - tell me roughly what the log diameter is and the lumber product produced and I can give you a ballpark conversion.

If it is BF log scale you are looking for, which cubic metre scale (BC Firmwood?) and what BF log scale? If it Scribner, there are three versions that border BC, Scribner long-log (used west of the Cascade mountains in WA, short log used in Idaho and Montana, and short log revised (used in Eastern WA).

Let me know what the logs look like (typical small-end diameter and length), which m3 method, and which BF (or region), and I can give you a pretty good conversion.

SwampDonkey

In my example it's logs

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

extrapolate85

Well, since gtr appears to be in south-central BC and assuming it is log scale:

4.5-7.49" s.e.d:  1 m3 BCFW = 108 bf long log Scribner or 138 bf short log Scribner or 147 bf short log, revised Scribner

7.5-11.49" s.e.d: 1 m3 BCFW = 124 bf long log Scribner or 153 bf short log Scribner (revised and non-revised).

11.5-15.49" s.e.d: 1 m3 BCFW = 151 bf long log Scribner or 194 bf short log Scribner (revised and non-revised).

15.5"+ s.e.d.: 1 m3 BCFW = 215 bf long log Scribner or 246 bf short log Scribner (revised and non-revised).

The above are based on an average log length of about 8m (26') and assume an average amount of log defect and taper, thus the conversions are just "ballpark".

Brucer

Here in BC logs are sold in cubic metres of actual volume.

1 cubic metre converts directly to 424 BF, but logs ain't rectangular with parallel sides, so you gotta allow for waste. On a straight, round sawlog I usually saw out 320 to 330 BF per cubic metre.  The wood I'm cutting right now isn't sawlog quality, and I'm only averaging 280 BF per cubic metre. This'll give you a ballpark idea.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Minnesota_boy

Where do you find these round straight logs.  I don't think I've ever seen one.  ???
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Our average softwood sawlog diameter would be a bit smaller than in BC and I don't know if you could get 280 bf/m^3 unless it's pine or old growth red spruce. The price per m^3 at the mill suggests they can't. Takes 3.62 st m^3/cord according to price comparisons at one mill which handles cedar. Some folks have always said 2 cord/th, but I think from what loggers have told me it works out closer to 2.2 - 2.3 and as high as 2.9 cord/th. on some scales.  ::)

Eanie meanie minie mo  :-\

Brucer

Hey, Minnesota_boy, weren't you up at Percy's last year? Surely you saw some of them special west coast logs ;D.

Round means "not too oval", and straight means "not too much sweep". Parallel sides -- who said anything about that?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!