iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A bit o white oak to saw

Started by shenandoahsawmill, September 20, 2018, 02:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shenandoahsawmill

Scored this white oak yesterday as a free tree through a friend who always keeps his eyes open. Just started to work it up into saw log length this morning. Too big for my current mill unless I quarter it, so it might have to wait until I finish fabrication of "Frankensaw" in another couple of months. 

charles mann

Thats a big'un there. How many useable bf you think that will produce? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Skipper11A

Be careful what you wish for...because you just got it.  That is a BIG log. How do you plan to move that "Thing"?

samandothers

Oh my that there is gonna be fun!

nopoint

Nice! Around here the big white oaks all seem to be hollow. Hope you got some good lumber in that one. If the center is rotten might as well quarter. Otherwise get that monster saw built. Have lots of help on hand, you start slabing that thing out don't underestimate the labor necessary. Even with heavy equipment it still can be a lot of work. Local guy here bought a wide saw. I helped them saw some 40-50" wide 3" oak slabs one day and it took 4 of us to get the slabs stickered.

shenandoahsawmill

The butt log was hollow about 6 feet up but good wood after that. The hollow is what weakened the tree but high winds took it down. Counted growth rings today and it is somewhere around 300 years old. Probably will quarter it to move it with my propane tank trailer. Parbuckling up four feet onto the bed of my flatbed truck is too much of a hassle. I think quatering and sawing for ray fleck is the way to go. Not sure how many board feet are in this beast but looking forward to getting it on the mill. 

Thank You Sponsors!