iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalting Maple Logs

Started by PA_Walnut, September 16, 2018, 08:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

I have a nice LARGE and CLEAN maple log that's been sitting since early summer. Might was well try to spalt it now.
So, moved it to the field and put on a mound of mushroom soil. I think I'm going to bank-up some sawdust and/or mulch around it and cover with black plastic.

Anyone with tips/hints about methods and/or timeline? It's a really nice log, so don't want to ruin it.

Appreciate info from those who have walked the walk.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

etroup10

i have never tried spalting logs. However the best spalted maple i've sawn is stuff that has been sitting around for several years. they weren't burried in soil or anything so I don't know how that will affect it. I have a log sitting out in the woods that was cut november 2015 and it is not quite to the point i would want to saw it. Probably next summer by the looks of it. You probably know this but to check it just cut a thin slice from the end of the log to see how far the spalting goes. 
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

Your method seems to be overkill.  I would think to keep it off the ground and let it sit out for a few years in the rain, but not in the sun.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OffGrid973

You know what they say to stop a Jelly Fish sting...maybe give it a try, he he
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Brad_S.

Former member Arkansawyer was a master at controlled spalting. For years he kept his methods a secret but I believe he did eventually explain how he did it. Perhaps if you have spare time, search through his posts with the keyword spalting. I may be mistaken; he may have never given out his secret and my memory is incorrect. That seems to be happening more and more these days.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

kelLOGg

I cut a 12" maple long ago and let it lie on the ground (in NC) in partial shade for about a year. It spalted very nicely. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crusarius

I have a very moist piece of property. I piled up a bunch of maple in an area I thought was ok. it was always moist and never really in the sun. it sat 3 years I think. Half of the maple turned to pulp but it all spalted very nicely. I think if I were to try it again I would not do more than 2 years. even that may be borderline.

oh yea. it was where I plowed my snow so it got buried all winter long. I had to pressure wash all of it before milling it to get all the crap off of it.

WV Sawmiller

The last spalted maple I cut naturally occurred. One fork broke and hung for a year near my deer blind. It finally broke on off and I cut 15' off it. It could not have been on the ground over a few months before I noticed it. It was rock solid with real pretty spalt lines. I sold it to a local furniture maker.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

quilbilly

We've tried spalting maple in the pnw, never worked. Need space etc, way easier for us to just cut for firewood or sell for saw logs. Best ones we've found are naturally occurring.
a man is strongest on his knees

mike_belben

Anyone ever tried ringing a maple and let it spalt while standing?  I see it quite a bit in firewood from standing dead wood.  Wouldnt have as much mushrooms and worms that way if it worked.  3 months in the dirt is plenty of time for the worms to get in here.  Altho that may be a positive character to your market. I like wormy maple.
Praise The Lord

Crossroads

I milled a big maple a couple years ago for a guy who said his horses killed it. He claimed it stood dead for 2 years before he had it cut down, then it laid out in the field for 2 more years before I cut it. It had some nice spalting. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

PA_Walnut

All good tips and wisdom. It's been under the trees for a couple months. Then I moved it to the field on a pile of mushroom soil.
I've heard talks of using beer, to promote the growth of the molds, fungus, etc. (will get some Old Mud, or Bud since that's about all that swill is good for anyway).

Gonna move it back to mostly shade, andwrap it in some sawdust and black plastic to accelerate the growth...seems like it would hold moisture and attract some sun/heat during the coming cold months.

It's longer than I want to saw, so can cut cookies from time to time.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

mike_belben

Now that you mention it, red maple here does have a pretty yeasty smell when you open up a ripe one.  I guess thats the smell of sugars being eaten.
Praise The Lord

78NHTFY

Cut some standing dead sugar maple, piled them in the woods for a year, and just brought them back to the mill as they were getting pretty "fuzzy."  They jumped ahead of the 100 WP I still have to cut!  Cut the first of five logs into 1x's.  Some spalt and a little pecky.  No spalt throughout but I'll take it.  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

YellowHammer

Normally, I only leave my maple sit a single hot season before I cut them up because I'm not a big fan of over spalting, but I really like the light shades of blue tint and black lines that the logs get several inches in, with a clean heart on live edge.  I'd guess if I left them out longer, they would spalt more, but I had to pay for these logs, and spalt is the precursor to rot, and I don't like to think about my money rotting.  :D

Of course, you already know how I "speed spalt" basswood and poplar 4x4's, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for maple. :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 18, 2018, 10:57:19 PMOf course, you already know how I "speed spalt" basswood and poplar 4x4's, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for maple.

Yes indeed!! I haven't considered speed-spalting some slabs. I think I will try that! (feel the same about a purchased log just sitting around) 8)
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

curved-wood

I did some tests with white birch cover with sawdust. I figured that air+humidity and no sun will spalt the wood. I did some scorings just through the bark with a chain saw. Saw it after  year . Not much spalting...not worth the effort. 
When my son cleared the forest for the building of his house, he had quite  a few nice maple logs. We didn't had time to saw it before 2 years. The logs were pile 6'' of the ground. The top one had one face damage by the sun.  Wow very vice spalted and fairly even. The wood will go for his kitchen cabinet

doc henderson

Maple will tend to spalt even if you don;t want it to.  If you want to promote it, put logs in an area of prev. spalting as the spors will be abundant there.  Moist and shady like a forest.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

wesdor

During summer 2017 I spent a week with Sarah Robinson at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. She was a wealth of knowledge and has pretty much figured out to Spalt wood. 
Her website is https://www.northernspalting.com/
She also has an extremely detailed book on Spaltung which sells for around $60. 
She is a professor in Oregon and wealth of information. You might also be interested in her YouTube interviews with Mark Lindquist.

nativewolf

Quote from: wesdor on September 21, 2018, 03:29:05 PM
During summer 2017 I spent a week with Sarah Robinson at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. She was a wealth of knowledge and has pretty much figured out to Spalt wood.
Her website is https://www.northernspalting.com/
She also has an extremely detailed book on Spaltung which sells for around $60.
She is a professor in Oregon and wealth of information. You might also be interested in her YouTube interviews with Mark Lindquist.
Did not know about her or her work.  Will definitely keep this in mind.
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!