iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Tree

Started by firechief, December 24, 2009, 09:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firechief

Hello all and happy holidays.

Hope I have a simple question.  I was recently given permission by a local realty company to cut up a fallen maple tree near my house in a small wooded area.  The tree is about 2 1/2 feet in diameter and a good 50-60 feet tall. The only reason I know it is a maple is from the few old brown remnants of leaves.  I know this tree will produce quite a bit of firewood for me.  My question is: Are there any Maple trees that are softwood ? I mainly try to burn hardwoods and am hoping this tree is a hardwood as well.  Sorry I can't provide any more information.  Have a happy holiday.

Jim

Phorester

Well...... that's not really a simple question.... or maybe it is....., depending on how technical you want to get.   Living trees can be broadly classed as softwoods and hardwoods.  Softwoods are conifers and hardwoods are decidious trees. But then, hardwoods can be classified as soft hardwoods and  hard hardwoods.  Then, maples can be classified as soft maple or hard maple depending on the particular maple species.

So maple is a hardwood, but a particular maple species can be either a hard or a soft hardwood.  But on most lists of species suitability for firewood, any maple species is generally classified somewhere in the middle. 

I'd say you got some fair - good firewood there.  Not as good as oak, but better than aspen.

Brian Beauchamp

Pretty much the same as what Phorester is saying, I think what is confusing is the terminology used between hard maple and soft maple. Maple is a hardwood, but the products of the individual species are lumped into those two general categories of hard maple (Sugar Maple, for example) and soft maple (Red Maple, etc.).

DouginUtah

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,21955.68.html ;  Post #68

Ferric salt painted on the sapwood of maples will differentiate the "soft" maples from the "hard" maple groups. Blue stain indicates soft maple and green stain indicated hard maple.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

firechief

Any idea what kind of store would sell ferric salt ?

DouginUtah

"There is a test where you put a few drops of 5% sodium nitrite solution on the oak and if it turns dark colored, it is white oak. This test is 100%. "

In order to do the above test I went to the chemistry department at the local university. You might also try asking at a pharmacy. Or even at the local high school chemistry department.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

firechief

Thanks Doug,
My curiousity has the best of me now as to what kind of Maple this is.  I live only 5 minutes from Notre Dame so I will give them a try.  Thanks again.

Jim

SwampDonkey

Quote from: firechief on December 27, 2009, 11:03:34 AM
Any idea what kind of store would sell ferric salt ?

Try looking for a soluble fertilizer that controls moss, has around 17 % of ferrous sulfate. With a trained eye, it can be determined with a hand lens on the end grain by looking at the rays. They are uniform in soft maple and of two thicknesses in hard (one thick ray separated by several finer ones, then a thicker one and so on). Not for newbies. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodtroll

It would be easier if you take a picture and post it here. We can give you all sorts of answers.

firechief

Thanks woodtroll

As soon as I can get over and start cutting I will do that.

Dodgy Loner

Dissolve some steel wool in dilute muriatic acid (both avaiable at your local hardware store) and you've got yourself a solution of iron chloride. Regardless of the species of maple, the firewood should be good.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

climbncut

You should be able to tell if its a silver maple or sugar maple just from making some cuts with the chain saw. Sugar is hard and dark redish-brownish color and silver is soft and light in color. If you determine its sugar, try to get the log to a mill and slab it up!
Tree Topping: "The most costly, money-wasting, tree mistreatment in the world"- Shigo

bill m

Color of wood can be influenced by minerals and soil composition. Most all Sugar Maple I have seen has a real light color sometimes with a darker heartwood.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!