iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Leaf Identification

Started by Ron Scott, May 04, 2011, 07:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

iPOD APP - TREE LEAF RECOGNITION

FREE iPod app - leafsnap.  It's a tree ID app using leaves.  Take a picture of the leaf and a shape recognition algorithm takes over.   Developers were Columbia University, University of Maryland, and Smithsonian Institution. 

If you get a chance . . . try it out and let us know how well it works.  Reviews are excellent.  I don't have an iPod, so can't try it myself.    I have to wonder how it works for conifers?  And of course, most of the year Michigan is leaf-free but that's beside the point! 

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafsnap/id430649829?mt=8

Thanks to Mike Vasievich (MSU retired) for the tip.

~Ron

beenthere

Sounds interesting. Will pass it along, but don't have a phone to try it out on.
Thanks for the heads-up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

This sounds like it would be very useful if it works.  I do have an iphone and will download it, but there are no trees out at sea to test it on  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!