iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID Mobile App for North America

Started by abo4ster, April 04, 2013, 12:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abo4ster

I did a search and didn't see where this was posted before, so sorry if I missed it...

Rarely get excited about technology, but this Vtree app by Virginia Tech is impressive for a mobile device.  Videos and link will speak for themselves...

[/b][/size]

wmrussel

Thanks for posting this!  I'm heading to Pennsylvania in 10 days or so to cruise timber for 2 or so weeks.  Being from Alabama, this is a new state for me and this App could really help me out.   8)
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Tmac47

I'm new here, so I don't know if this is regurgitated info, but if you check out http://bugwood.com/, they're doing a lot in the identification area.  I talked with Dr. Moorhead, one of the guys heading it up a couple of weeks ago.

They also have their own apps: http://apps.bugwood.org/

Sprucegum

Anywhere in North America ,eh?

I'm downloading it right now and if it tells me that tree in my front yard is a spruce I will be amazed and delighted  8)

And if it tells me its a black spruce leaning towards the house I'm gonna hide somewhere  ;)

abo4ster

Quote from: Sprucegum on April 04, 2013, 10:20:04 PM
Anywhere in North America ,eh?

I'm downloading it right now and if it tells me that tree in my front yard is a spruce I will be amazed and delighted  8)

And if it tells me its a black spruce leaning towards the house I'm gonna hide somewhere  ;)

Will be curious to hear how it does.  FYI, it does take longer than other apps to download when it open for the first time as it is downloading all the content for off-network use.  Most smartphone these days have a fully autonomous GPS chipset, so it should still narrow your species selection by range map if you ask the app to do so.

Oh and if it works well, your welcome.  If it doesn't, I didn't go to Virginia Tech...   ;)

rambo

Quote from: wmrussel on April 04, 2013, 01:32:09 PM
Thanks for posting this!  I'm heading to Pennsylvania in 10 days or so to cruise timber for 2 or so weeks.  Being from Alabama, this is a new state for me and this App could really help me out.   8)
where in PA wil you be cruising?

Sprucegum

8) It works  8)

I input my town, province, country and it gave me thirty woody species likely to be found in my area. A few questions identified the Black spruce alright. The detailed descriptions are not site-specific but that is asking a lot from any program. What I mean is growth rates and sizes vary with climate and terrain; causing a tree on the coast to be a shrub here. Still identifiable as the same species though so it all good.

Claybraker

Just downloaded it, took a while because this is a huge file, but my first impression is a totally kewl app. Not just trees, but shrubs, vines, native and exotic (invasive) species...  Thanks for the heads up.

Any word on when they are going to release an IPhone version?

abo4ster

iOS came out earlier this month I think.

Thank You Sponsors!