iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Game Cameras Can Be Hazardous

Started by Ron Scott, July 31, 2012, 08:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

I set out and monitor a number of game cameras for landowners and as I was relocating one camera on a tree yesterday afternoon I started getting zapped by yellow jackets Unknown to me I wondered on a ground nest of yellow jacket's. I quickly departed, but encountered 20 + stings which are still swollen this evening.

When I got back to the truck, i took a pill that I carry for such occasions since I have been stung so many times over the years. I then noticed that I had lost my glasses on my running escape so I had to sneak back and find them on my escape route later. whiteflag_smiley

It's amazing how ornery they can get and zero in on you for a quick attack over some distance and get inside your shirt and pants to do their damage. I will now be more aware of this hazard when locating game cameras. ;)
~Ron

WDH

It is amazing how instantly and instinctively your body responds to a yellow jacket sting :)

Another way to say it is that you go from zero to 60 mph in about 2 seconds  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I would get the same way if someone was destroying my home too.  ;D  I have been very lucky,so far,this year. I hate it when I step on one and than have no idea where the nest is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

From one old far====fella to another, that is the one and only way to get your youthful speed back.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

Ron,

What kind of pill do you carry for them? Benedryl?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Patty

Oh no! I cannot imagine being stung that many times by a wasp. They say an epipen is effective if you react badly to stings. I sure hope you are better today.

The wasp have been very thick this year. I have never seen so many. For the most part, they just leave us alone, unless of course we are in their way! (or stepping on their nest)  The other evening we watched two wasp in battle. It was amazing. They were different species, one red and thick, the other black and long. After an epic battle, the red one won. He then proceeded to suck all the internal fluids out of his opponent while he clutched it in his claws. And they say nature is not brutal!!

Take care of yourself, Ron.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ron Scott

The pill is a RX pill; I believe it is Benedryl.

Still sore today and going through the itchy stage. Those ground nesting ones do pack a wallop. My left hand is still swollen an left ear and back are still hurting after two days of being stung.
~Ron

giant splinter

I am wondering what brand would you recommend for the game cams,I sure like the idea of knowing whats going on in the outback.
roll with it

Warbird

So now that we know you are recovering okay, the question simply must be asked...  did the game cam you were moving capture the entire episode or were you moving so fast the video just blurred? ;D  Inquiring minds want to know!

Ron Scott

No, I didn't have time to mount it on the tree and turn it on. I had to sneak back later and retrieve it. I've placed it at another more safer location. ;)

Giant Splinter,
Most all the low to medium priced game cameras do a good job.It's primarily what you get use to using and features you prefer. I currently use Moultrie, Spy Point, and Leupold RX1. I primarily use them because that is what the landowners have purchased for me to monitor for them. I still seem to prefer the Spy Point for simplicity, low cost, well built, etc. Primo, Covert, Bushnell, Cuddback, etc. all do a good job.

Jeff, has taken some excellent bear pictures with his Wildgame cams. See the Bear Hunting 2010 and 2011 Bear Hunting Topics in the Outdoor Thread. Game Cameras have also been recently dicussed in the General Board Thread
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,59533.0.html

~Ron

blackfoot griz

Those underground hornet nests are horrible.  Too many times, I'd lead a pack string of mules over/near one and the riot was on.  Mules getting stung--going everywhere dumping their loads etc. If they dumped their load you would have to go back in the vicinity to put the load back on often getting hammered again! The mules would remember the spot--even years later.

Ron, glad your doing better!

Thank You Sponsors!