iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preparing the mill for cold weather sawing

Started by DGK, December 01, 2016, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

Thinking that some of you may be interested in the work that I am doing/have done to prepare the LT40 hydraulic for cold weather milling. The first thing that I did was to change over the hydraulic fluid to a HVI15 weight. This was a must for temperatures that were around -10C. It took awhile for the fluid to warm up, but once it did the hydraulics were reasonably fast. I should mention, that I have dual hydraulic pumps like that of a LT40 Super. To try and get production speed up a bit sooner, I installed a self-adhesive oil pan heater on the hydraulic reservoir that I use to preheat the oil. I have another one still to install on the second pump, but even one makes a noticeable difference. Engine oil is 5w30 synthetic.

The up/down gearbox is a bit slow running with the stock weight oil. If it warms up enough to change over the gear oil to something lighter, I will change it. In the mean time, I will add another heater to the gear box to warm it up before milling.

I am sawing small diameter spruce and use the 7 degree blades with 26-28 thousand set. The sawdust freezes on the boards, but the performance is good with nice flat cuts. Blade lube is a mix of windshield washer fluid (-45C), water, and Pine Sol.

If the engine starts giving me starting problems, I figure that I will add a heater to it as well.

Now to find some electric socks and gloves. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Peter Drouin

When it's that bad -15° I call it a winter and feed the wood stove. or work in my wood shop.
  8) ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Yea I find the hydraulics are really slow in the morning nowadays and it's not even cold yet.  I might do the same thing and switch to a lighter oil.
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

Doug, my hat is off to you mate, suppose where you live you have little choice. I'am retired and seldom have to do anything right now. When the temp goes below 20f I quit operations its just too hard on all the equipment and the old duffer running them. If I were milling in a seriously cold climate I would have a snug mill building with south facing windows and some form of heat. The northeast lobstermen have a little trick they make a diamond tread floor under where they work and run engine coolant through it. If your feet are warm you are too. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

4x4American

I like the radiant heat idea...yes we're working on the mill building to get it bundled in, as we're planning to saw all winter.  We're in the middle of an open field in a big valley and the wind just whips constantly.  There is a 30mile long lake on the other side of the valley so there is plenty of open area for the wind to pick up speed.  It can get fairly Canadian in a hurry over there  :D
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

What oil do you use that is getting stiff on you at those cold temps? I thoiught that running atf in the gearbox and the hydraulic pumps was the norm on a WM? That stuff pumps good at low temps for us.

I dont like the cold either. We are set up in a barn, but it has some air vents that I now can close off for the winter since we are all electric. I just havnt done it yet. We are supposed to get some snow and then lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's next week. That will be enough to keep me away some. My lungs cant stand the cold air. I wear a dust mask to warm it up and that helps but ................I wasnt made for working in an icebox, except in the summer! ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Wow Doug, my mind can not even imagine the ordinary things that you do to keep everything working at your temperatures, much less when it gets really cold.  I have sawed when the temperature was below freezing very few times. 

My admiration to you sir.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Luke_Eames

Good call on getting things switched over.  I usually wait until the last minute!  :)  I've never switched the oil in the gear box for the up/down but it's worth a try.  I heard that well be getting into the 30s and 20s next week so now's the rush to get the siding finished up and getting ready for the cold.  We've been getting a lot of rain over the last few weeks so now I'm hoping the cold comes in quickly to freeze the mud up. 
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

scully

Good to see someone outfitting for cold weather sawing . We have had mild weather so far 30's 40's F  . I still have a good amount of sawing to do and have been lucky so far .  I have a bunch of those Coleman white gas heaters , I was thinking of setting one under the hyd, motor box and also under the oil pan while my rubber tarp is over the engine and letting things warm up for a bit before I start up .
I bleed orange  .

dustintheblood

Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2016, 08:22:09 AM
Wow Doug, my mind can not even imagine the ordinary things that you do to keep everything working at your temperatures, much less when it gets really cold.  I have sawed when the temperature was below freezing very few times. 

My admiration to you sir.   smiley_thumbsup

And Magicman, as another Canadian who loves the frigid cold when sawing at around +5F, I have to admit that I have no idea how you all deal with that heat down there.   I can add layers when I'm cold, but can only take off so many when it's hot before I risk being arrested for indecent exposure   :D :D :D :D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

DGK

Quote from: paul case on December 02, 2016, 08:06:02 AM
What oil do you use that is getting stiff on you at those cold temps? I thoiught that running atf in the gearbox and the hydraulic pumps was the norm on a WM? That stuff pumps good at low temps for us.

I dont like the cold either. We are set up in a barn, but it has some air vents that I now can close off for the winter since we are all electric. I just havnt done it yet. We are supposed to get some snow and then lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's next week. That will be enough to keep me away some. My lungs cant stand the cold air. I wear a dust mask to warm it up and that helps but ................I wasnt made for working in an icebox, except in the summer! ;D

PC

Hi Paul, I have been running ATF in the hydraulics but find it too heavy in the cold. The Wood-Mizer manual specs JV13 for really low temps, but it is not available here in town. The HVI 15 that I am using is a comparable product and works great. So good, that I replaced the reservoir in my dump deck on the truck with it this past week.

The gearbox oil is not supposed to be ATF. ATF is for the drive wheel bearing. The up/down gearbox uses a heavier Mobil Gear oil. I called the Wood-mizer dealer that I work with to discuss changing to a lighter gear oil. He could only recommend the Mobil product.

When I find a new industrial property to permanently set up my mill, I will erect a roof over it with some type of sliding side wall for winter operations.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

bandmiller2

Doug, when ever you can use synthetic lubricants they stay fluid when dino oil is grease, it really helps. I used to run my circular mill all winter the Cat. diesel was in a small engine house with doors that vented hot radiator air to sawyer and off bearer. Frank C.

4x4American

Good to keep in mind about synthetic, hadn't thought about that.  And yea ATF in the hydraulics is too dang slow for me.  Every morning when I fire up the hydraulics are like that of a regular 40 I would say, maybe a little better, but idk.

The cold caught me off guard a week or two ago.  I hadn't converted my coolant from water to methanol yet, and the lines and pump all froze.  We had some 20F nights and that done it plus that wind prolly too.  I had my worker thaw it out with a mapp gas torch, didn't think he'd melt the pump on me but he melted alot of stuff lol.  The thing was leaking and at least it was just on the replaceable tip he melted a few holes through it.  Luckily he had crazy glue but it did take 24 hrs to set. 

And likewise for you southerners, I can take the cold but that heat, now that's something yawl can keep down there! 

There's people much more norther than me making it happen!  Once my left three fingers that had surgery and pins in them turn green I have to go and thaw them out then usually once they thaw once I can keep going for the rest of the day if I don't take lunch and warm up.

In my gearbox I run 80w-140 to help keep the gears from slipping.  In the drive bandwheel bearing I run atf. 

Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

At least when its cold no black flies and skeeters. ATF is available synthetic. Frank C.

DGK

It was a nice warm day today, only a few degrees below freezing with light flurries. Managed to mill 73 small logs 12-16' length into cants and boards in a 7 hour day (6 hours milling). Not too bad for making 4X4, 4X6, 6X6, 1X6 and a few 1X4's. All slabs strapped, boards stickered, and cants loaded on the truck for tomorrows delivery to the building supply yard. My helper took of his jacket this afternoon as he was getting too warm. :-) Next week -20C to -25C. Brrrrr.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

OlJarhead

With the LT40 I've only milled down to 18F but have to say I started thinking about using the engine heat somehow to warm the water lube or perhaps get a black jug to absorb solar heat when the suns out (wouldn't have helped today).  Running -20 windshield washer fluid straight seemed to do the trick though and it's now my plan but I don't plan to mill anymore this winter.

One thing I was wondering is what you do for the tires?  Studs?  Chains?  Towing my mill down out of the snow and ice today was a bit hairy and it caused me to think about getting some tire chains for the mill which made me think:  it's time to put it up for the winter! lol

Good thing it's not my main job!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

DGK

Hi OlJarhead, even though my mill is on wheels, it is set-up in one place. One day when I have a roof over it, the axle will be removed. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Brucer

It looks like there's some winter work in my future as well -- but I'm more concerned about preparing the sawyer for cold weather sawing :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 02, 2016, 10:46:48 PM
With the LT40 I've only milled down to 18F but have to say I started thinking about using the engine heat somehow to warm the water lube or perhaps get a black jug to absorb solar heat when the suns out (wouldn't have helped today).  Running -20 windshield washer fluid straight seemed to do the trick though and it's now my plan but I don't plan to mill anymore this winter.

One thing I was wondering is what you do for the tires?  Studs?  Chains?  Towing my mill down out of the snow and ice today was a bit hairy and it caused me to think about getting some tire chains for the mill which made me think:  it's time to put it up for the winter! lol

Good thing it's not my main job!

This will work...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OlJarhead

Quote from: DGK on December 02, 2016, 11:42:25 PM
Hi OlJarhead, even though my mill is on wheels, it is set-up in one place. One day when I have a roof over it, the axle will be removed. :-)
I was wondering how you were powering all those heaters! ha!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 03, 2016, 08:24:16 AM

This will work...

Wonder how much energy it would use (if the alternator has the juice for it) and then again, if I had that I wouldn't have an excuse NOT to mill in the cold! ha!

DGK

In my opinion, I think the most practical thing to do to mill in the cold-weather, is to change fluids in the mill to the lowest viscosity first before relying on external heaters. Thankfully, windshield washer fluid rated to -45C is readily available here so no heat required. I am using heaters on the hydraulics to pre-heat the fluid so that it is up to speed quicker. When trying to mill between 10 to 15 logs per hour, I don't have the patience for slow hydraulics. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

John S

DKG,
I was wondering why you add water to the blade lube mixture?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

DGK

Quote from: John S on December 03, 2016, 10:02:51 AM
DKG,
I was wondering why you add water to the blade lube mixture?

Hi John, I add water to match the outside temperature. No sense using -45 full-strength when it is only -10. Saves a few dollars. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Thank You Sponsors!