iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Full Time

Started by Deese, April 14, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I started sawing for a new customer 2 days ago. Very nice Longleaf pine and poplar logs. It is a humongous job. Over 300 pine logs. He isn't in a hurry and his help is limited. So, I'll be sawing his logs on and off over the next several weeks in between other jobs. It is a nice arrangement. I've got a killer syp sawing job scheduled for next week. I'm worn slam out but motivated and pressing forward. 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

Woodpecker52

Before long a stationary mill, edgers, equipment, employees, timber buyer, etc. Keep it going. You will make it big.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

ladylake

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on May 02, 2019, 10:42:38 PM
Before long a stationary mill, edgers, equipment, employees, timber buyer, etc. Keep it going. You will make it big.
NO.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Deese

In the woods tonight boys and girls. Sleeping a couple hundred yards from the work area. Didn't feel like driving home so I will wake up next to the skidsteeer and will watch the sun rise as I'm getting work done. Someone bring me coffee in 7 hours please. Mosquitoes are back in full force. Bring it. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Can't sleep. Here's a pic right before sunset today. I think this one turned out to be 4"x10"x20's. Got a tad close to the pith but what the heck. This stuff is dense and stable. Ain't going anywhere. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Y'all my life is so crazy right now and I love every single bit of it. I have learned so many new things about sawmilling and everything associated with it over the past month or so...Things you can only learn when you actually rely on your sawmill to pay your bills, to support your child, to pay your electric bill...It is not fun and games anymore. I view it as Life or Death, and buddy all I can say is that it's a totally different experience. I'm all in! 
Just got home from a job. I'll be sawing cedar here at the house tomorrow and then moving to the big pine job Monday morning. I've never worked harder, but never been as happy in my life as I am right now. I don't mind the work and will outwork 2 guys half my age and I'm not even joking. It won't always be this way but I must do what I have to do to reach the next goal I've set for myself. My life may be crazy, but I am 10x crazier! Ha. I've Got This. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

YellowHammer

You da man.  Full steam ahead. 8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

Beast level 10! Sometimes life puts you in those sink or swim circumstances, I can see you're swimming just fine👍
Too many irons in the fire

Deese

So, I had to cut down a big cedar on a fenceline this morning. It was a dangerous situation but I survived!  Called my brother to bring his tractor to move the log for me. Tree was literally covered in poison ivy. Tried to do my best to stay out of it. Got several 8x8x10 posts already presold that will come from this solid log. Things are looking good my friends...oh wait, my...um...arm just started itching!

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Well, I got a good dose of poison ivy. Eyes were almost swollen shut 2 days later. This is me after a steroid shot in the rump a few days afterwards but I never slowed down. The latest customer was bewildered and said I was crazy when I kept showing up each morning to saw his logs. He had two of the best Mexican workers that I have ever seen in my life. One of them watched me change the sawblade one time, and he did that for me for the entire job. I was sawing as fast as the sawmill would allow and they had another log on the loading arms before I could turn my head. Spent lots of time on super big 36"+ diameter syp logs, then flew through several thousand BF of 16"-18" diameter logs. Old men were driving up, pulling out their chairs and watching. I would stop, go over and respectfully shake their hand and tell them how nice it was to meet them and to not hesitate if they ever needed a hand with anything. I am making new friends by the truckload. I Love what I do. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I've got more work right now than I can handle. Working 18+ hours every single day sawing and sharpening sawblades. I'm getting phone calls from people everywhere wanting all sorts of stuff, from trailer decking to 12"x12"x21' beams for new houses. Y'all it takes big, straight syp logs to get clear 12"x12"x21' beams. Got a pile of beams that are due in 7 days. Getting my boy tomorrow and forgetting about work for 2 days. Then got to find those big SYP logs starting Monday. Go BIG or go home. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

thecfarm

Sounds like you are doing good. Except for the poison ivy. :(
My Father would have enjoyed watching you. We looked at the one I bought many times. And I do mean many. He never got to see me buy it.
When Magic Man retires,he'll send you all of his customers.   :D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

You're doing just what I did for years. Then I had made so many friends milling all over the state.
I started getting orders for lumber. I told them I do on the road sawing I'm not a lumber yard.
When the road work slow down because Ross [Wood Mizer of Maine sold tons of mill on the east coast]  :D :D :D ;)
Then some sawing wood for half of what I get for sawing. 
That's when I took the next step.

This is a lot of work for sure. Good luck and work hard, Just think what you're going on a job and what the customer wants you to do. Sometimes a customer wants you to do something that will hurt the mill or you. Then you don't work. Sometimes you have to say NO.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Quote from: Deese on May 11, 2019, 12:42:01 AM
Then got to find those big SYP logs starting Monday. Go BIG or go home.
Jake has a whack of them....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on May 11, 2019, 05:50:18 AMWhen Magic Man retires,he'll send you all of his customers.
Actually I did send the customer to him that was overlooking Mobile Bay a couple of weeks ago.  ;D  It was 185 miles from me which was OK, but I as tied up sawing the "sand pit" job.  I couldn't saw both, so I kicked it to Deese.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

QuoteActually I did send the customer to him that was overlooking Mobile Bay a couple of weeks ago.    It was 185 miles from me which was OK, but I as tied up sawing the "sand pit" job.  I couldn't saw both, so I kicked it to Deese.
Magicman sure did, and he knows how much I appreciated it. I still do. He trusted me enough to put his name on the line to help me out. In return, I made danG sure I went above and beyond to do the best job possible. I had been wanting to dive into the sawmilling world full time for quite a while, but I kept telling myself that I would know when the  right time to do so would eventually present itself. There were several factors that were pushing me in this direction, and that sawing job was one of them. 
Sharpening sawblades at the moment. Making ERC sawdust in roughly 8 hours. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

customsawyer

Quote from: WDH on May 11, 2019, 07:24:33 AM
Quote from: Deese on May 11, 2019, 12:42:01 AM
Then got to find those big SYP logs starting Monday. Go BIG or go home.
Jake has a whack of them....

I might be running a little low now. Y'all have any more of them SYP logs left?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Barney67

I got into some poison oak/ivy a few weeks ago and after several days of worsening rash and swelling, tried a product called Zanfel that really cleared things up quick. Expensive, but worth it in my experience.

Enjoying this thread, congrats on your success. smiley_thumbsup

EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

Deese

I've been stashing logs everywhere for the past couple years...Finished this erc around 11AM this morning. I will deliver two or three 8x8x10's tonight and the rest is mainly 3x6's. I needed 33 total and only got 20 or so from the logs at this spot. Moving to the other logs I've got and finishing the 3x6 order this evening and delivering them tomorrow. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

4x4American

Looking good bud, run like hell!
Boy, back in my day..

Mossy Chariot

Wearing me out just reading about you adventure. Great job glad you are doing what you love!
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

Deese

Got a stomach/intestinal virus (stomach flu) and was completely shut down Tuesday - Friday. I was SICK SICK Monday night through Wednesday. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (I don't have any). Tried to finish sawing some ERC on Thursday and immediately broke out in a cold sweat and heart pounding couldn't keep my breath. I was bad dehydrated. Made the 20 minute drive into town and bought 2 gallons of off brand Pedialyte and chugged it for the next 24 hours and I started feeling better over the weekend. It was probably Sunday before I had that "pep in my step" again and felt close to 100%. 
I've had the "stomach bug" before, but nothing NOTHING like this time. Looking back, I'm pretty sure I know why...I had been pushing myself so hard and was already bad dehydrated when the symptoms hit. So, my body took a double beating. Leason learned. I've always taken my health for granted and pushed too hard, and I'll admit I stayed bad dehydrated pretty much since I started working for myself. I was "too busy" taking care of everything else instead of my body. I will not let that happen again. 

The past two days have been wild crazy busy, trying to catch up. I got up at 5am this morning visiting a new customer and his logs...He's the largest landowner in the county adjacent to me. The number of logs is mind boggling. Then spent the remainder of the day sawing southern red oak and syp that customers had dropped off. Not much, around 450bf. It's close to midnight and I just finished sharpening sawblades trying to get ready for a nice portable job this Thursday sawing 60 bald cypress logs. I don't think they are crazy big, and good equipment and help will be there so hopefully I can finish it all in 12 hours. The only thing I must do tomorrow is saw 300bf of syp 1x8x14's and a few 4x12x20 syp beams. 

Oh yeah one last thing, I've got a customer wanting live edge slabs from a 40"+ diameter magnolia log. Wants the entire thing slabbed libe edge. What type chainsaw mill should I buy to get this job done? I've got a Stihl 661 chainsaw. Any advice would be appreciated 

Cooks AE4P Edger

terrifictimbersllc

Pass on that slabbing job. You have plenty of work and it is outside the scope of what you can efficiently do.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!