iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spring planting 2013

Started by red oaks lumber, March 24, 2013, 07:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

this is the million dollar question, what is everyone going to plant this year?
corn looks like the high ride might be over, with high input costs this will be a heartburn year. soybeans.. that story looks a little better but, south america is having a record year it sounds like so who knows.
the biggest wild card is will it rain or not.having said all that i'm moving more towards running more acres of hay, i have good markets running it through my animals.
i have spoken for enough seed corn, soybean seed, wheat seed to plant all my acres just not commited to what to plant yet. time will tell i suppose. what is everyone doing this spring?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

1,853 wine grape vines  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

I have some oats going in as a cover crop for some hay ground I will be planting. Also have some Barley going in as well.

clww

Between 15 and 20 tomato plants.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Corley5

I've also got 14 acres of warm season grasses going in no till as part of a conservation grant program.  Half will be straight up big bluestem and the other half will be a 50/50 mix of big blue and Indian grass.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ND rancher

I'm planting 40 acres of alfalfa, 35 acres of corn,some oats and peas, maybe some barley, and some cover crops.All for the cows.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Norm

Since I have already committed to my order for corn in November mine will be all corn. There was a report by a private firm called Informa that trimmed the amount of corn being planted and soybean acres being increased. I'm also putting in 20 more acres of alfalfa this year and will increase it's acreage by 10 next year. With so many acres being taken out of it alfalfa has become almost if not more profitable than corn and who doesn't love getting out in that 90+ heat doing it!  :D

South America is having a real problem getting their grain to their customers. I read it's a 40 day wait to be loaded at their major ports. Each day that ship waits costs money and is keeping us as a reliable supplier who delivers on time because of our infrastructure.

Kansas

Back to soybeans this year. After reading the very long range forecasts last fall, I just didn't see putting a lot of money in a crop when you might just be farming for the crop insurance check. Farmers have already hooked on their planters ready to go. They usually get started around the 15th of April. Of course, that 8 inches of snow Saturday might set that back a little.

rooster 58

My ground here is great for growing rocks ;D     ;)

thecfarm

I thought I had all the rocks East of the Misssissippi.  ;D  I have some that has been farmed around since the old guys cleared the land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

30 tomato plants, 20 sweet pepper plants of varying kinds and 10 hot pepper plants. I also have green and yellow string beans, beets, cukes, squash, green and sweet onions, turnips and strawberry's. Still have about 200 sqft yet to go but not sure what I'm going to plant there.
This is my city garden. In Tenn I have trees and blackberries :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

rooster 58

Cfarm, if you need more rocks I could let you have some "seed" ;D

thecfarm

If my Father was alive I would have you deal with him.  ;D He grew up just across the road. Picked rocks his whole life and I'm doing it too. I'm almost done. ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

Well then, it sounds like you need a few more ;) I'll get that box of "seed" ready forya ;D

thecfarm

My poor Father is rolling over in his grave right now.

rooster 58

Sorry about that cfarm

customsawyer

I thinking about planting my butt on my Harley some. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

It's corn and peanuts again for us.Peanut contracts are way low because of the bumper crop last year but we need the hay for our cattle operation.We normally put up 1000 rolls of peanut hay plus as many cuttings as we can get on about 120 acres of grass.We also plant millet for summer grazing.
al glenn

scgargoyle

With 7 acres to work with, I've committed a whopping 32 square feet to gardening. :D A couple tomato plants, 2 rows of green beans, and the resident rosemary bush.

I have decided to increase my livestock, though, specializing in ticks and wasps.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

bull

WDH

scgargoyle,

Snakes raise up real well in your area, too  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dakota

I'm expecting a good crop of Pine Beetles.
Dave Rinker

rooster 58

Jake,
     Plant your butt on that Harley and don't harvest it til you get to marienville, pa. ;)

scottmphoto

My wife does the garden thing...I just plant trees.

Thank You Sponsors!