iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grade 120 chain and Heavy duty shackles

Started by Walnut Beast, March 03, 2023, 10:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Anybody have and use Pewag square link 120 grade log chain? Thinking about getting some and twist lock shackles. Need to get some serious chain and shackles to go with the cable arsenal for serious winching

stavebuyer

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish but I found the standard keyhole slider and Hammerlock connectors stood up very well when logging with small dozers and cable skidders.

+ Sliders (shopcomstocklogging.com)

PE38 - PEWAG-HAMMERLOCK 3/8 C100 MADE IN ITALY (shopcomstocklogging.com)

Walnut Beast

The heavy duty shackles are to connect auxiliary cables with swaged eyes together to get further out than the 75' hydraulic winch length mine has. I have 120' of 1/2 inch cable that I made a couple sections with swaged ends. And going to do the rest.  I have more cable if needed. That way if I'm further out and winching in they can be disconnected in sections and keep going. The 1/2 chokers I had made I'm happy with but I might want to run a choker chain sometimes. When I winched across the creek on some long runs I snapped a couple log chains before I had the 1/2 cable chokers made. Most all the trees on these long runs across a nasty steep creek are all 25" to 35" Black Walnut monsters with a few down to 19"

mudfarmer

Hey Walnut Beast, I use 3/4" shackles like your bottom pic for connecting my snatch blocks to tree saver straps and other various tasks. Have not tried the fancy looking twist ones. Disclaimer is that I'm not pulling 35" walnut across a steep creek

stavebuyer

My experience with screw pin shackles in the woods is that they either vibrate loose and fall off or "freeze up" so tight that you will need a hammer and 2 wrenches to get them open. But to fetch a couple odd trees it should work out fine.

mudfarmer

I have been using these same three for years, since another life entirely... If they tighten up too much you can use a scrench, pliers, wrench, vice grips or whatever to get them loose. Have lost a couple pins over the years from leaving them loose but broke that habit

thecfarm

Labonville has some stuff like that, have no idea about price.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Not all chain is the same. All the talk about safety on everything and ignoring your chain. That could  spell disaster!!! You can see the difference on a 3/8 chain in grade and Will. You get what you pay for! Think twice before you pick up that chain to do something dangerous. It could be your last with a cheap chain  

Thank You Sponsors!