iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cnc software advice

Started by yukon cornelius, October 29, 2016, 08:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I am once again venturing into the unknown. I am working on a cnc router table. I have never been around cnc. I cannot figure out all the software I need. I am wanting to make a few signs. I would also like to make a few 3d pieces. we are on a tight budget for the software. we are trying a trial mach 3 and lazycam. we have also downloaded kcam. I think I want to try vectric vcarve desktop or carve 3d. does anyone know if vectric is cad and cam?

next what all do I need? cad and cam and controller software?
if I got vectric do I need mach 3 also?

any reccomendations?

Thanks!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Savannahdan

I use Vectric's Aspire software and really like it.  I do the design work within it and it generates the g-codes which can be plugged into the cnc controller box via a usb stick or via the cnc manufacturers controller software.  I like using the controller's software since it shows the progress of the work being routed.  The Vectric site has lots of information about their software (including pricing).  They also have a lot of training videos on using their software which makes using the product much easier.  The user forum has a lot of information on it as well.  There is a 3-day training workshop scheduled for January 26, 27 and 28 to be held in Philadelphia.  Here's the link: http://cncseminars.com/events/philadelphia-pa/.  Good luck.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

21incher

I built a CNC plasma table and CNC router and use Mach 3  for the machine controller, Sheet Cam to generate the g code, and a old Micro Cad program to create DXF files. This combination only gives me 2D capability for the router and I will be upgrading to V Carve in the future to be able to do 3D carving. V Carve combines the CAD and Cam so you will still need Machine control software. Download the demo and see if you like it. Another program available to use for free if you meet their terms is Autocad 360 that is a little more complicated and combines the CAD and CAM. I see some people using the Arduino boards for machine control now also with motor drivers and a G code loader. Parallel port computers are getting harder to find, but seem to be the lowest cost option to get a machine up and running with Mach 3, a simple parallel interface board, & motor drivers. There also some Linux options available for machine control.
Once you get the machine operating, you can use any CAM and CAD program with the correct post processor for your machine control software.
Have you chosen your motors  and drivers yet?
It is a great feeling to see a CNC machine you built come to life.  :)

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

I like the look of the aspire software but at just under $2000 I am afraid that has to be out until I see there is a market that would support that investment. I was looking at it more last night and I had thought it was a choice between cut3d and vcarve desktop. Then I found that cut3d doesn't do any 2d so leaning heavily towards vcarve.

So....I will need vcarve, possibly a cad and Mach 3 I think.

The table and controller were already built. It has a parallel port. We bought a newer desktop with a parallel port and Windows 10 only to find Windows 10 won't run it. Then we bought an older desktop running xp and have the table moving around with a free trial of mach3. It also moved with kcam4.

For a non computer guy this is a big challenge.

Thanks for you help!

DDW_OR

have you tried the instructables.com site for cnc advice on free software?
"let the machines do the work"

yukon cornelius

We looked into that. Easel was very easy to use but when went to send it to the machine we found you have to select a machine. It only lists their own machines. I was worried I might mess up the controller.

TKehl

Mach 3 has some built in wizards that can get some basic sign work done (lettering etc.).  The youtube tutorials helped a ton.  Some manual programming for borders helps too.  This is what I'm doing for the time being.

I am looking forward to getting V-carve, but waiting until work slows down at my day job enough to actually use it.

I'm a novice, and my machine isn't much to look at, but I'll show you what I can if you're ever up this way.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Savannahdan

When I purchased my cnc system the Vectric software (VCarvePro and Cut3D) came with it.  I decided to upgrade from VCP to Aspire so that I could do more with 3d work.  Funny thing is I still do 3d prep in Cut3D and most of the designs I do could be done in VCP.  I do like that they have a lot of 3d files, free projects available for download, plenty of gadgets to add to the software and texture files.  As to the machine, I have been giving thought to building a larger CNC.  My current machine is limited to 24"X24".  That being said I'm really not limited to that because Aspire and VCP have the ability for Toolpath Tiling, which divides toolpaths to fit material or machine limits.  Be sure to put limiting switches in your system.  My cnc doesn't have those and I've banged the limits a number of times and that's a royal pain.  Even though I've leveled my bed I have the zero balancing system and it's okay.  I am getting ready to add heat sinks to my motors and may even add a watering coloring system.  Grounding things is a must due to all of the dust and movement of things.  As to bits, I've bought a few from Precise Bits, some off of E*** and some from MLCS.  I also found out that 60 and 90 degree sign bits may have a round tip which makes a round bottom.  This is a pain when you want to v-carve and want a nice sharp cut bottom.  I use a diamond spring bit for etching acrylics.  This worked great for some award plaques for Scout leaders and the plaques had really small Scout emblems in it.  Guess I could rattle on and on.  Hope this has helped.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

hackberry jake

Check out f-engrave. It is a free cam software that can do v carving. Much3 is pretty much the standard machine control. Inkscape is a decent cad program for free as well. I decided to go with vcarve desktop just because it's faster and easier than the free softwares.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

yukon cornelius

Thanks for the help guys! I think we are going with vcarve desktop and mach 3. my son, bark beetle, has been learning the vcarve. He is pretty good with computery things  :D I hope to post an update with a picture soon.

Savannahdan

Excellent choices.  You'll enjoy when the projects are cut on the CNC router.  I've spent so much time lately with the sawmill and getting logs that I haven't spent much time in the cnc/woodworking shop.  Just finished hauling in hickory logs from a tree that came down with Hurricane Matthew.  It was in my neighbors yard and she has a maze of flower beds that I had to work around.  That made it very difficult to get the logs out and on my small trailer.  Hopefully I'll have some lumber from them to cut next year.  Let me know if you or your son have any questions.

Savannahdan

Vectric has a monthly project for free for folks using their products.  The latest (Christmas Sled) was released today and looks to be a great, fun project.  Some of the monthly projects can only with Aspire.  This project also can be done with VCarve.  A real favorite is the Paradise Box.  Lots of vcarving in it.  I found that you sometime have to vcarve some smalls cuts on the opposite so that the wood doesn't warp on you.  Anyway, enjoy.

yukon cornelius

First project  8) this is a lot of fun! I will look at those monthly projects. I  also looking for the clip art for it. Ventricle is fairly easy to use. I am glad I went that route.

Savannahdan

Nice.  I like the old Missouri plate.  Is it from your first truck?

yukon cornelius

that is actually a road sign that a pretty awesome person sent me. it is older than me by almost double  ;D

21incher

Glad to see that everything is up and running.  8) 8) 8)
Can't wait to see your expanded product line in the future. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

justallan1

Due to being broke after buying my CNC, I started with Vectric Cut2D to start, then jumped up to Vcarve Pro and really like it. On thing I really like about Vectric is that when you upgrade you only pay the difference between what you have and what you are buying, a huge help to guys like me that never have a load of cash on hand.
My biggest problem is I started making signs and cribbage boards and the darn things sell.....and fast. Between my ranch duties, cutting a few logs or burls and keeping up with folks wanting crib boards, I don't have the time to play with all the CNC can do. It's a good problem to have. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!