iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Latest Handtool

Started by lowpolyjoe, October 30, 2016, 08:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

I couldn't pass up this Stanley 55 yesterday at the fleamarket.  It's in fantastic condition and is a true thing of beauty.  Most of the cutters look like they have never been used.  Looking forward to learning how to use it and putting moulding profiles on every one of my projects going forward  8).

21incher

Wow you got lucky. I have never seen a complete kit like that stay together.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

btulloh

Wow.  Great find.  It looks to be in perfect condition.
HM126

Just Me

I have the same set. Original screwdriver is rare.

A really old guy taught me how to use it, now passed, and his # one rule was wood selection, wood selection, wood selection. He did his apprenticeship standing at a planing bench for three years. The old straight grain wood they had to use was the ticket. I have tried with weird grain and it si hard not to get catches.

Its a fun piece of history, and they will do things modern tools can not, but I don't think I will sell my moulder or shaper just yet. :D

lowpolyjoe

I definitely got lucky in finding the gentleman selling this.  I looked on ebay briefly as reference since I had no idea what a fair price was (to be honest, I'm still unsure).  Very few that I saw online looked to be in shape as good as this one.  He actually had a second 55  that was an earlier model and included the original Stanley wooden box - that was more of a collector's item and he was asking a lot more for that.  I appreciate the historical and collectable value of this tool but I'm mostly looking to use it  :)

Just Me - Yeah, this would definitely not replace machines for any real production requirements.   I would like to sell my projects at some point, but currently it's all just a hobby.    The seller said he was unsure if that was the original screwdriver, but it was included with the set when he bought it.   Considering how little use this thing got (from the looks of it), I could see it all being part of a set that largely sat in a box or drawer for most of its life.  I am a little worried that when I go to use it I will have problems - which is what I experienced when trying to use my antique wooden plow plane.  I will certainly post more info when I start trying it out :)

Kbeitz

Highest price first on E-bay $993.00 + $30.00 shipping...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

Nice find :)
I would like one my self
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

low_48

Nice find. My wife's Grandfather gave me a Stanley 45, in a cardboard box but no lid on the box, as a wedding gift. The only gift I remember getting, 44 years ago!

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 30, 2016, 04:27:44 PM
Highest price first on E-bay $993.00 + $30.00 shipping...

:o.  I think the highest i saw when looking around was in the $650 range.  Crazy.

low_48, that's a great gift :).

Bark Beetle

What is the piece right below the screwdriver in the first picture?
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

lowpolyjoe

That odd shaped piece is a "cam rest" support.   From the original manual:

CAM REST G can be fastened on either the front or back arm
between the Sliding Section and the Fence D and acts as a rest when the
Fences are wide apart as in center beading. When the Auxiliary Center
Bottom is in use, the cam rest provides additional support when required
and should be placed on the rear arm.

Mitch Peacock has a great video describing the parts of a Stanley 45, which is similar plane but not quite as versatile as the 55.   At around the 11 minute mark, he shows the use of the cam rest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgLZ5NgeGEw

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodworker9

Nice find! 

One piece of advice to add to what has already been given.....sharpen those cutters.  Those are factory grinds, and while they may look sharp, they are not.  You'll need to polish the backs to a mirror finish (flattening) and also the bevels, if you want the plane to work halfway decent. 

Most folks who have had a go with 45's and 55's say that they are a jack of all trades, and a master of none.  You can get really good results using it as  plow plane, but frustration often sets in using one as a moulding plane.  Super sharp cutters and very straight grained, easy-to-plane wood will help a lot.  The direction of planing will be critical, as these style planes have a lot of problems with tearout against the grain.  There is no chipbreaker.

Good luck, and enjoy it.  I've never seen one that nice and clean.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

lowpolyjoe

thanks for the advice woodworker9 - i had actually been wondering about that.   some tools come sharp from the factory, some don't... i was hoping these would be sharp out of the box but i guess i'll have some work ahead of me.

i haven't had much shop time this week so i haven't been able to play with it.  i'm looking forward to trying to make a few profiles with it just for fun and practice :)

woodworker9

A fairly cheap and simple way to make up a bunch of sharpening hones for your cutters, in different grits, is to wrap 3M scary sharp paper around different sized hardwood dowels.  You can end up spending a lot of money on a full compliment of slip stones in different sizes and grits.  With the scary sharp paper, you can buy a full spectrum sampler pack from places like toolsforworkingwood.com  and make up your own sharpening system for less than $40. 

I use these to sharpen and polish moulding plane irons of varying profiles, including hollows and rounds, to a mirror polish on both sides.

Taking the time to really get the bevels and the flat back polished to a mirror shine will yield the best results possible with this style of plane, along with paying close attention to the grain of the wood.

Good luck with it.

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

lowpolyjoe

I like the abrasive sample pack, thanks for the link.

Thank You Sponsors!