iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pioneer leveling

Started by dustyhat, December 14, 2015, 08:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

Just wondering today while working on my barn, what the old timers used for levels. dont guess they had bubble levels or did they . i imagine in the big city's there was something, but out on the frontier . just wondering.

Jim_Rogers

They would use a string and a plumb bob. But the string was attached to a triangle made out of wood normally with the base being flat to the bottom of the legs of the triangle.
Not like this:

Then if the string aligns with the center mark on the bottom of the triangle then the base is level.

Do you understand what I mean?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

dustyhat

Absolutely, that is very interesting i like old tools just never thought about it till today . very big thanks, just shows your never to old to learn.

dustyhat

I looked it over again , simple but amazing.

Jim_Rogers

It is an ancient way of leveling without water/bubbles.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roger Nair

Following on Jim's theme, triangular frames can be mounted on straight edged beams of any convenient length.  The registration marks can be checked by rotating the ends, if you align to the same mark you are level, if not level will be halfway between the two readings.  Precision without cost.  Similar devices with a quadrant can be used as inclinometer.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

tyb525

Not quite as old pioneer days, but the water level was something I was shown a few years ago, usually takes 2 people, good for leveling distant points. Just a piece of clear tubing whatever length you need, filled with water. Put the level of the water at the point you want to level from, and at the other end the water will be at the same level once it stops moving.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Den-Den

Quote from: tyb525 on December 14, 2015, 09:19:22 PM
Not quite as old pioneer days, but the water level was something I was shown a few years ago, usually takes 2 people, good for leveling distant points. Just a piece of clear tubing whatever length you need, filled with water. Put the level of the water at the point you want to level from, and at the other end the water will be at the same level once it stops moving.

A water level with a reservoir at one end (5 gallon bucket in my case) is very accurate and only takes one person.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Brian_Weekley

Got to hand it to those wiley Egyptians with their water levels made with Tygon, clear, plastic tubing...   :)

I've used mine on several occasions--it's a great low tech tool.
e aho laula

pineywoods

The ingenious craftsmanship of our pioneers has always amazed me. To build a building  using nothing more than an axe, crosscut saw and string is absolutely amazing. Those old pioneer log homes in this area were always level, plumb and square.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

starmac

For those that haven't thought of it, a little food coloring in the water used in a water level, sure helps old eyes.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

SLawyer Dave

In Peru, over 2,000 years ago,  the Nazca built very elaborate aqueducts both above and below ground to carry water out into the dry coastal areas they farmed and into their towns.  One of the things noted by archaeologists and engineers, was that their aqueducts invariably were built at exactly the same grade.   This was a great puzzle, because no one could figure out how they could have built something so exact with the primitive tools they had available.  The secret turned out to be their elaborate pottery technology.  They designed and built "water bowls", that contained a hollow view piece through the bowl.  So you would fill the bowel, make sure the water was exactly even, (therefore level), then you could look through the tube, and it would be set at exactly the angle they were to build to.  That way, no matter how far away, you could look through the tube, and adjust the plot lines.  Very simple in concept, but amazingly accurate.

jueston

Quote from: pineywoods on December 15, 2015, 11:20:21 AM
The ingenious craftsmanship of our pioneers has always amazed me. To build a building  using nothing more than an axe, crosscut saw and string is absolutely amazing. Those old pioneer log homes in this area were always level, plumb and square.

i would just throw out a small caveat to this statement....

Those old pioneer log homes in this area *that survived until today* were always level, plumb and square.

my guess would be the low quality log homes were abandoned or rotter or tipped over, so you might be judging an entire group of people based on the best 1% of their craftsmanship...

Thank You Sponsors!