iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turner for an LT15

Started by Qweaver, September 07, 2009, 03:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I think manufacturers plan for that in their design. All mills have that quirk. I think the key is to not having the mill solidly anchored to absorb shock. My mill will slide a little on its footings which I think helps. Good and flat so it doesn't affect trueness, I just twitch it back over when it is MT. Only honker logs move it.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on September 09, 2009, 12:22:58 PM
Quote from: WDH on September 08, 2009, 11:05:57 PM
Lets see who can ID the tree and who can ID the lumber :D.

I think that the tree has the upper hand since to-the-victor-go-the-spoils :).

Loblolly.........ash?

Nice guess, but no.  Neither  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Yes, Dan, the tree is white oak, one that you are well familiar with! 

There is no way that anyone could realistically ID the lumber stored in the shed from what is shown in the pic, so here is a clue.....the leaves from the tree that the lumber came from are compound, but the compound leaves from the tree have an aborted terminal leaflet, and the pith of the tree is chambered, and the fruit is a nut........that should make the ID easier  :).

Dodgyloner is disqualified from this competition because he has too much local knowledge, and just too much knowledge in general  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moonhill

The other addition I added to my manual log turning was removable extensions to the arms.  Mine are 1-1/2" square tubing, I drop in a 2' solid square stock inside, they have stops so they do not go all the way in.  After this addition there was no more prying of a timber.  I just have to remember to remove them before the next cut. 

I always cringe when rolling a large cant which has to be levered over after it binds up on the arms, I am cautious of the weight coming down on the pry bar and in turn crushing my leg, as I am part way under it for leverage.  I have eliminated much of this with my simple log turner. 

Still working on some photos. 

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

Dan_Shade

when I had a manual mill, I dropped peices of light metal condiut over the backstops to make them higher.  that helped as well.

Always stay out from where a cant can hit you.  A heavy cant or log won't ask questions before breaking bones or maiming flesh.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jim_Rogers

From moonhill:

He will describe what in each picture....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

zopi

Ooooohhhhh..I see...That is cool...could be useful in extracting a stuck chainsaw from a log too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

I have a chain link on my hi-lift jack, one of the "repair" links that's pretty big with the threaded part and a nut.  I can attach a 5/16 chain to it with the slip hook type of hook, a grab hook gets caught on it.

those utility jacks are useful, but they can whack you silly if you don't respect them.

moonhill

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 10, 2009, 09:24:19 AM
From moonhill:

These are the parts.

I started out with the hook on the bottom but soon found that I could just set it on the top and I did not need to pound it in. 

This is in the rolled position with the hook ready to be removed.  It is fine tunable with a single pump of the jack, you can even go to lunch with it half way there.

Here you can see the chain cradling the log, the hammer is on the floor, it is not needed. 
To give you a sense to the size of the log, the top of the arms on the bunks are 12", I need 13" to safely return the saw with out knocking the band off, if they were left up for some reason.

Thanks, Jim.

He will describe what in each picture....
This is a test, please stand by...

ljmathias

I had a manual WM for years and cut some pretty big logs on it, all with huge amounts of dangerous log turning and lifting/moving with my FEL.  I'd never go back, ever.  Once I got the new LT40 with the log turner and multi-use clamp, I found that between the two, I can turn anything I can cut and generally without having it slam down on the bunks- takes some practice to know which of the two to use, alone or together, but once you figure it out, things are fast and easy.  Best of all, I don't have parts of my body getting in the way of flying cant turners and bunks- dropped a big red oak on the bunk one time, not realizing my finger was between the log and a leg top- took about 4 months to grow that finger back together so it worked right again...  While I admire the skill used in turning logs on a manual, the safety factor is key for me- at 60, life is too short to spend waiting to heal or worse...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Tom

QuoteYes Don, I am an invertebrate tree lover !

WDH, I knew there was something about you that I liked.  I've always been enthralled with exoskeletons.  :D

Is that tree Not-a-sweetgum?

Magicman

Quote from: ljmathias on September 11, 2009, 06:17:06 AMOnce I got the new LT40 with the log turner and multi-use clamp, I found that between the two, I can turn anything I can cut and generally without having it slam down on the bunks- takes some practice to know which of the two to use, alone or together, but once you figure it out, things are fast and easy.
Lj

Yup, I don't envy you guys without hydraulics, but I do admire you.  The "Super Hydraulic" takes most of the work and danger out of turning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Tom,

I knew that you had a kinship with invertebrates!

Not-sweetgum is right :D :D.

caver

THREAD REGURGITATION!!!

I had a large Tulip Poplar I needed to turn and remembered someone on here using a hi lift (sheepherders) jack. I just wrapped a chain around once but could use a hook set-up like what is shown in previous photos. Slow and a little scary but did the job.
Baker HD18

tyb525

Boy it's scary seeing posts I made but have no memory of! :o
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Papa1stuff

ty,it's a little early in your life to be forgetting ! ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pineywoods

Quote from: caver on February 28, 2011, 10:43:11 AM
THREAD REGURGITATION!!!

Slow and a little scary but did the job.

More than a little scary. I have a couple of those jacks. They have a bad habit of doing bad things when you least expect it. But they do work.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Coon

One of those jacks is the culprit for a broken jaw and severe concussion that I received as part stupidity/ part necessity.  I had a flat tire on my GM 1 tonn dually back passenger side inside tire while pulling a stock trailer loaded with a bunch of just weined steers.  I knew that I could not change the tire with the trailer hooked up so I tried to unhook. Yup, I tried but could not manage to crank the trailer jack high enough on its own strength.  This is where the jackall comes in.  At first I had no problems lifting the trailer a couple of clicks with the jackall and then the trailer jack.  Well.... I needed just one or two more clicks to get the trailer off the ball hitch and WAM....BAM....That's all Sam. I just did not have the weight or strength to get it to click..  The jackall handle hit me in the bottom jaw on my left hand side breaking it in two places and sending my head backwards into the back bumper of the truck and was knocked out cold and rolled into the ditch.  We still don't know exactly how long I was out cold for but think it was close to an hour before a local farmer was passing by.  Thankfully he had a two way radio and was able to get his wife on the other end to get the ambulance on its way.  There was absolutely no cell reception within ten miles or so.   :o   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

bushhog920

no slam cant turning, put a pulley on a winch that is mounted above the mill, run a rope through the pulley around the cant and tie it back to its self. pick up the log as close to center gravity and only a couple of inches high then you can rotate it with a cant hook.

bandmiller2

Quint,if your mill will be stationary for any legnth of time do what Belsaw suggests hinged log turners,two triangle shaped pieces that swing up on your side of the mill lower part same hight as the log bunks.After you make a cut you flip up the turners and roll the log to you it hits the turners with no shock to the mill and slides right back on the mill quarter turn.You can dig two holes and put heavy posts in to mount the turners on just close enough to clear the mill.You should have a dead deck for the logs with a gap to walk by.When you load a log on the mill put two short pieces between the dead deck and on top of the posts roll the log on the mill.Remove the two pieces and flip up the turners when needed.Its quite easy with a good cant hook to pull the log twords you and slide it to the backstops. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

robnrob2

Dont know if a LT-15 is beefy enough, but you might take a look at thisidea I have on my machine,,,

tho I have claw turnes that work well,, some times there is a need for this winch, and I use a hook just drop down  under logs edge and hit the button,, over she goes,, is very fast and it is ready to go at any end of the mill,,

there are times when I load up a 4fter and have to carry it to the end of the mill where I am able to cut short stuff,, so I use my small tongs and with the winch lift it and the carriage just does the rest of the work,,,
My mill is under a shed also, and over head i have a 8" I-beam perpindicular to the mill, with a HF 1,300LB  lectric hoist attached to a 2-ton trolly that works great,, so It lifts logs and then carries them to the mill,, and could turn them if needed,, those electric hoist work great, weather DC or AC,, beats the hand crank deal big time.

barbender

Ouch Coon! Hi lifts will definately bite.
Too many irons in the fire

Coon

You don't say , barbender.   :D  Funny thing is I still use a jackall on a regular basis when needed.  Just a whole lot smarter to the use of em.  My jaw still ain't right and I don't think it ever will be.  I had three surgeries and my jaw wired shut for 9 weeks and a whole lot of pain.  My teeth are all starting to rot now and the dental surgeons figure it could be because of nerve damage from the impact.   :(
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!