iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member and Rookie

Started by Road Runner, March 10, 2011, 02:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Runner

I've been lurking and searching the archives for about a year now and have gotten a lot of good information in my search for the "perfect" sawmill for me.  After talking to a sales rep at WM in GA numerous times I decided on the LT15GO w/ diesel power (I had also considered the LT28) I called to finalize my order back in Dec.  When I called the sales rep told me that they had a used 2004 LT40G25  w/ 16 hrs. that I might be interested in.  He said that the original owner had injured his back after buying the mill and it had been under a shed since then and he traded in on an upgrade to a saw with hydraulics.  It sounded good to me (more saw for about the same $), so I put a deposit down for them to hold it till I could inspect it.  When I got to there the saw looked good (no rust or faded paint) and ran great.  WM had gone completly through the mill and it was in good shape.  We ran it for several hrs. during my training session.

So I bought the LT40 and sold my 50+ yr. old Ford 4000 tractor and ordered a Kubota M5100 tractor w/ forks/thumb for moving logs.

I had to be out of town for several months and got back home a few weeks ago and took delivery of the tractor and was ready to start sawing.  The first day the feed switch quit working and after trouble shooting and consulting tech support at WM I had to order a new control module (no charge from WM).  I got the new module in on Mon and have sawed about 4 hrs, (mostly cutting stickers and getting used to the scale) and everything is running great.  My first projects are to build an outhouse and cabin from timber cut on site.

Thanks to the FF and WM for all the help and information.   
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

treetech

Hi Roadrunner
Nice score on the 40. The folks at Woodmizer are great to deal with. Congrats on joining the forum.

clww

Nice going on your sawmill find.
Welcome to the Forum, too!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Woodbuzzer

Roadrunner-Let the dust fly 8) 8)And welcome to the forum ;D ;D ;D-Buzz
Frick saw mills,NHTC29Dtractors,Jonsered chain saws,Northern Hyd. woodsplitters,Central Outdoor woodboilers,and Arctic Cats too!

Bibbyman

We started out in 94 with an LT40G18.  Things just got out of hand! 

Welcome to the Forum!  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pnyberg

My story is similar in that I spent many hours deciding on a mill model and features, and after placing an order being offered a demo mill with much better features for only slightly more money.  I told my story in a long-winded fashion here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39413.0.html

Congratulations.

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Road Runner, and congratulations on the sawmill.  Just sawing and getting familiar with the mill is a good teacher.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Congrats. What part of SC. are you from?
Oh yea Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Congratulations on the mill and welcome to the Forestry Forum!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

welcome. sounds like you are enjoying the newtoytool.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Welcome roadrunner. I think the manual lt40 is one of the best bargains around. They are tough. I have a 95 model with over 7000 hours on it. You'll love the kubota. I run an older M4700 with forks and a winch on the back.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

porcupine

WM & Kubota = Winning Combination - Good for U
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Road Runner

I spent about 5 hrs. sawing today and am starting to get comfortable with the saw.  No major screwups so far.
Customsawyer, I'm in Abbeville County in the piedmont of SC. 
Pineywoods,  I looked hard at the M4700 because of recommendations on reliability, but went with the M5100 for a few more HP.  It's the same tractor/engine except turbocharged.  The recommendation to get the thumb on the forks was a good one and I'm glad I splurged and got it.  I also got the backhoe and am thinking about adding a thumb to is also for loading smaller logs on the mill.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

customsawyer

I have stayed in that area a few times planting pines and spraying them the next spring. There is some nice country side in that area.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Life is good.You have a sawmiil,tractor and your own land to cut trees on.Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Roadrunner!  8)

Having been through Abbeville Co. several times too, I agree with Customsawyer, nice area.  Congrats on your winning combination of orange equipment.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

weisyboy

welcome and congrats on the mill purchase
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

LPitt

I've got a 5100 and a Linn Lumber hyd 1900. You going to love the Bota and who knows the things you will do with the mill. Congrats and welcome to the club.
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

Thank You Sponsors!