iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would you saw for .10 a board foot???

Started by gator gar, March 23, 2011, 10:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

I did.... Actually, I resawed some 12x12x12s, down to an inch and 7/8s x 12. That was 2.40 a board and I cut 138 of them,before it was all said and done. Not too bad.

Dan_Shade

do you pay for equipment and maintenance?

Or do you get paid $0.10 to run your own equipment?

I wouldn't saw lumber on my equipment for $0.10/bf
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

gator gar

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 23, 2011, 10:27:55 PM
do you pay for equipment and maintenance?

Or do you get paid $0.10 to run your own equipment?

I wouldn't saw lumber on my equipment for $0.10/bf

You wouldn't be counting that 330 dollars that I put in my pocket either. I was already set up and I just went with it.

Bandmill Bandit

its jobs like that that take wear and tear out of everything that shows up in other jobs and end up costing you a lot more then the 330 cash you put in your pocket at the end of the day.

Some times you get lucky but it is tat-amount to playing Russian roulette.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Brucer

I charge $0.15 per BF for resawing, provided the timbers are clean, don't need squaring up, and the customers knows exactly what he/she wants before I start cutting. Otherwise it's by the hour. I base the BF charge on the nominal size of the original timber, not on the product.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

DR Buck

Even the Amish charge more than that.    ::)    And that looks like a manual mill?  At $330 in you pocket you're still losing money.  :-X
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

clay3

r.man

If you are happy with what you got paid for the job I think that that is the important thing. It is hard to judge every job from the standpoint of piece price without knowing all the other factors.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

tyb525

Just remember, charge what you need in order to make a profit, and someone will pay it if you have good quality. Just because someone will pay you $.10 to do that, doesn't mean they wouldn't pay $.25.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

I think if you worked it out as an hourly rate charge he was doing pretty well, maybe $100 an hour?

If you can earn $100 an hour with a manual mill you are doing pretty well.

No opening cuts, no turning of logs or cants, no edging, less band wear with no dirty bark. Just $2.40 each time he goes up and back. Big boards like that can add up a LOT of bd/ft per hour.

It's fair for both parties if you charge an hourly rate for non-standard jobs. Resawing, undersize or oversize logs, or any non-standard sawing. In that case, work out your hourly rate, probably based on if you were cutting normal logs at 20-30C bf/ft and charge that. If the customer had wanted them cut into 1" boards, it would have taken twice as long, and he would have paid twice as much. If he wanted them simply sliced in 1/2, taken 1/2 the time and probably only paid 5c per bd/ft !!!

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

You said it all when you said your not counting that $300 in My pocket  ;) I bet you did not burn more than $30 bucks worth of fuel for the day and only used 2 Maby 3  fresh bands sawing that order Mate thats 3000 bft (7.07 m3) sawn roughly which is pretty good going  ;) ;D how long did it take you to do it start to finish Mate  ???

say it took a day say $40 worth of imput costs  minus say $10 for the payment on the mill (the wear n tear on the machine would be bugger all !) so $250 gross for a days work still aint that bad Boys  ;) and a hell of alot better than working in a bloody office  ;) :D :D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

I routinely saw logs to lumber for $150.00/1,000bf.

So, it looks like you have done good for a days work.

Overall, the price usually depends on what part of the country you're in!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clousert

It all depends on how much you want the job, and what that job is interrupting for you.  We saw pallet logs mostly, so there are always logs on the dock and partial lumber piles being built.  Custom orders actually SLOW DOWN our production, due to log change/out, starting new lumber piles, sawing odd sizes for the customer, and dealing with the customer, and not knowing for sure if and when they will even return to pick up their lumber and/or pay for it.  As a result, we charge 25 cents a bf or $40 per hour, depending on the job.
Tom Clouser, farmer and sawmill operator in Pennsylvania, partner of CLOUSER FARM ENTERPRISES

ellmoe

What did your per hour rate equal?
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

gator gar

Quote from: ellmoe on March 24, 2011, 07:22:15 AM
Mark

I make 30 an hour in the refineries as a pipefitter. I would cut 4 to 5 of these per hour and off load them on the side of the mill, 3 wide and 12 high. Just basically letting them slide off the bedrails. So that comes to 57.60-72.00 and hour. Not bad at all in my book. I was waiting on the loader too, in between cants.

Ya'll don't underestimate my manual mill. It has a 25 horse on it, with the power feed, just like the LT40. It does pretty good. I would do this all day long, everyday, if I could.

ladylake

Nothing wrong with $60 a hour, then figure in all the cash money (I alway send half to Uncle Sam, right) and tax deductions .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

laffs

I would do this all day long, everyday, if I could.

me too
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

ellmoe

Quote from: gator gar on March 24, 2011, 07:30:33 AM
Quote from: ellmoe on March 24, 2011, 07:22:15 AM
Mark

I. I would cut 4 to 5 of these per hour and off load them on the side of the mill, 3 wide and 12 high. Just basically letting them slide off the bedrails. So that comes to 57.60-72.00 and hour.

I thought that your per hour rate would sound a whole lot better than the bf price. Resawing wide , clean cants is very different than sawing logs. Ya done good! 8)

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tom

It's situations like that, that make it impossible to assign one price that fits every situation.   What you have to be careful with is not that this fellow remembers your price and wants the same deal on a different type of job, but that your other customers don't find that you sawed Mr. X's wood a lot cheaper than you sawed theirs.   Sometimes it goes a bit deeper (business-wise) than how much money you can clear because you are already set up.

gator gar

Quote from: Tom on March 24, 2011, 09:34:30 PM
It's situations like that, that make it impossible to assign one price that fits every situation.   What you have to be careful with is not that this fellow remembers your price and wants the same deal on a different type of job, but that your other customers don't find that you sawed Mr. X's wood a lot cheaper than you sawed theirs.   Sometimes it goes a bit deeper (business-wise) than how much money you can clear because you are already set up.

You are exactly right Tom.

schmism

perhaps i missed it but....

those were oak cants? 

a question for those of you who would consider doing this (obviously there are those that wouldnt at that price) but for those of you who would....

does it matter to you if its hardwood vs softwood?   
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Tom

Whether it might matter would depend more on Species.  There are "Softwoods" that are harder than some "hardwoods".   There are so many variables that I would get confused trying to list them.  They would probably even include whether I had a good breakfast or not.  :)

isawlogs

I would of propably have done it charging by the hour and in the end get less then what you got with a more expensive mill  ::) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ianab

"does it matter to you if its hardwood vs softwood?   "

Even if I was doing it on a "per piece" rate, I would be working out the pricing from an hourly rate basis. So the type of wood, material handling, speed of cutting all come into it, blade life etc

If it was easy cutting light weight wood (cedar?), you might do a few more boards per hour, and have an even lower per piece rate. If it was something slower cutting and heavy to handle, less boards per hour, higher per piece rate.

Working from an hourly rate helps avoid the problem Tom mentioned about different rates. The guy knows you are sawing for $70 an hour, and the bd/ft price just happens to be low because of easy sawing. You can still change by the bd/ft for "conventional" jobs, but you can point out that your are planning to still average that $70 per hour

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

northwoods1

Quote from: Tom on March 25, 2011, 06:06:31 PM
Whether it might matter would depend more on Species.  There are "Softwoods" that are harder than some "hardwoods".   There are so many variables that I would get confused trying to list them.  They would probably even include whether I had a good breakfast or not.  :)

:D

If I made up a breakfast of fried potatoes, ham and 2 eggs over easy, toast and jelly with a couple of strong cups of black tea I imagine that if someone laid out a bunch of 12x12x12  and wanted them re-sawed into 2" I think I could make real good money at $100 a thousand. Gator gar I think I could manage to do even better than you at re-sawing 4-5  of them an hour ::) I would try to keep that loader operator busy bringing me 12x12s' to saw just to see if he could keep up! That is the kind of work where it doesn't take a lot ff thinking and I tend to like that sort of stuff.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!