iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello; New Zealand ?

Started by Sprucegum, February 14, 2011, 01:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

My son has been offered a job in New PLymouth.

Do we have any members in that area? Is it wet, dry, hot, cold ? How's the cost of living treating ya?

Ianab

Yup, that's my home patch  :)

It's a smaller provincial city so cost of living isn't too bad.

Climate is mild but generally pretty wet as the prevailing weather is off the ocean and you have an 8,000ft mountain behind you to catch the rain.

I'm guessing he's in the Oil or Engineering feild? It's either that or Dairy farming in this area.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.newplymouthnz.com/default.htm

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sprucegum

Yep; he's engineering for oil and his wife is a conservation biologist. If the deal goes through I am sure they will like the big trees you get in that wet warm climate. I got my fingers crossed just so I can come and visit.

I forwarded the website but he's probably way ahead of me in that regard, he usually is.

Ernie

It's about 40 km down the road from our place.  My wife works in New Plymouth.

Being an expat Canadian, I have always said that Canada is a great place to be from, a terrific place to visit but you can't beat Taranaki, New Zealand as a place to live and raise a family.  Amongst many other things, it's the only place I know of where you can go skiing on the mountain in the morning and surfing in the sea in the afternoon.  The fishing is unbelievable and as in most places in the world, Canadians are loved and welcomed.

When are they coming over?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Compared to some of the third world dives that the oil workers can end up in, New Plymouth will be Paradise.  :D

It can be a bit "Provincial" compared to the bigger cities like Auckland and Wellington, but if they like the outdoors they will enjoy living there. Lots of expats do come and do contract work on the various oil projects, a lot of them seem to forget to go home.  ;) And Canadians do seem to fit into the NZ lifestyle pretty well.

Hope you can make it for a visit.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!