iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Farm ?

Started by Wes, February 23, 2004, 03:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Patty and I went for a drive yesterday and noted how many people have gone back to black angus around here. The worst cow for calving. Throw in a large breed bull and you'll be pulling every first year heifer. Neighbor behind us runs about 75 cross breed mommas and uses a large angus bull. A much better combination. Me I'm content to listen to him tell me stories about staying up all night during calving season. Acorns and black walnuts are much easier to care for. :D

redpowerd

why is angus harder calvin?
i know if a cow freshens in the freestall, the calf is usually a goner. them rare occasions where one drops early right into the manure. the cow wont clean it and it wont get up, naval infections.
oh, we just had our first jersey calf last weekend. TINY!
she came from a holstien/jersey and a jersey sire.
pretty smart little heifer, and quite calm.
i was hopeing for a bull.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

etat

Black angus are born fairly large, for the size of the mama, with big heads, making them harder to birth.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Norm

My dad worked at the local salebarn while I was a kid. The people who owned it had a large cattle operation. They got the smart idea of breeding their angus mommas to a large frame bull. I remember vividly helping pull every one of em. Most died and a bunch of mommas too. We had charlois on our place and had much less problems than the neighbor who had black angus.

Only way I like to see a cow now is hanging from a meat hook or on my plate. ;D

Wes

Duane,
 I thought I missed something, wasnt sure what you ment with the stud and bailer, now I get it. ;D

There is a farm over the mountain that raises alpacas, and he uses llamas as guard dogs. :o

Duane_Moore

;)Whew- Haytrader, that picture is so so real..back in the late 50s the folks had some white faced cows. (Herfords) then about may there came a good snow then lots sunshine,the white bags all got sun burned, then we spent days ropen cows and tieing up ther legs so they wouldn't kick the ship outa the calves. the end of white baged cows, back to angus, then in the 60s I got the brilliant Idea of bigger calves. got some Charolis semen went to work, then come calvin time, lordy, lordy, what a mess.took them heifers cross breads and built my own heard, good size, good mommas,but not much milk for bigger calves, so crossed them with Gelbivch,Limosine, that was my base from then on, good weaning weight, good mommas, good milk, and could stand the cold,(lota Hair) feeders hate that, have A.I. many different breeds for the fun, usually took about 10 cows and breed them for Exotic breeds, tryed them all. I think, well enjoyed the visit guys, Duh---Duane :D also raised a lot of he77 in my day
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Thank You Sponsors!