iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Forestry Saying

Started by wbedient, March 03, 2015, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbedient

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread but...

I'm looking for good forestry sayings.  I'm making a T shirt for our shop and wanted some ideas.  Some of my favorites are:

-Cut it back.  Burn it black.  Grow it back.
-Log hard for healthy forests!
-Earth First!  We'll log other planets later   :D

What are you're favorites?

sawguy21

Now we are logging with steel. My boss used that when things were going well, he was referring to long lines.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clearcut

Logging: two moonlight drives and a picnic in the woods every day.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Southside

Had a boss that used the phrase "I would not slam a ****house door that hard"  Not sure that would go over well on a T shirt though. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

so il logger

I'd buy one SSL :D  ;D just wouldn't wear it to the wal mart.... or church :o

wbedient

Logo is shaping up to look like this... I'll change the flagging to fit the words and might replace the compass with a relaskop or something.

beenthere

I'm not what I'd consider a "tree hugger", but my first impression with the logo shown comes across as "cut and burn, and spray what may survive".. leaving just a stump and some blue flagging.

Don't know if that is what you want to convey to others outside of your shop, and it may be that my first impression is quite wrong.  Just passing it on, for whatever it might be worth.

Seems a softer side, such as nursing small seedlings beside the stump, or something to be happy about when using the tools of your trade, would be good promotion of your trade.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

I'm kind of leaning towards Beentheres' approach on this and maybe have a pic of 3 generations. One on a saw, one on a skidder and the last re-planting. I know in small communities millwork and logging was quite often 2-3 generation deals.
Maybe a banner saying, "Don't worry, we got this". That's a saying I've used all my life. Whether it was getting someones' back that was played out, hung over or new to the game or just racing at some task at hand and teasing your co-workers.
I suppose it could also mean we're doing a job that a lot of folks couldn't, no disrespect meant to those that can't.

sawyerf250

l like the one about two moonlight rides and a picnic in the woods everyday.
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

sprucebunny

Just from my perspective : the logo is too busy. The items won't be recognisable at a distance and they won't be easily understood, either.
The idea about the trees of different sizes (= end result) from justallen, rather than the tools (= an instant in time) is much more likely to draw me in.
If your company's purpose is flagging, show a band of blue or pink around a large tree.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

My opinion on the Logo is, that it is all kill, no grow. And like Sprucebunny said, a bit busy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Favorite saying that taught be a lesson.  It ain't to windy, light her up!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

wbedient

Thanks for all the input.  I agree the design is too busy and biased towards the harvest side of natural resource management... working on fixing that.

Paul_H

We had bumper stickers on our vehicles that said  Forestry feeds my family.

One memorable sticker on the bumper of a young and gung ho faller's pickup said "Mother Earth had it coming"
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

CBreak

How about this one.   If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper. 

Ron Scott

~Ron

clww

Quote from: CBreak on March 12, 2015, 05:48:36 PM
How about this one.   If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper.
I have that sticker on the back glass of my pickup. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

Quote from: Paul_H on March 09, 2015, 11:53:07 PM
We had bumper stickers on our vehicles that said  Forestry feeds my family.

One memorable sticker on the bumper of a young and gung ho faller's pickup said "Mother Earth had it coming"
that's one sticker I would not want on my truck 

Magicman

The bumper sticker on the rear of my sawmills says;  "Trees are America's Renewable Resource."
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kiko

How about one for the shop.  Pic deleted probably did not fit to theme anyway.

beenthere

That sign would be an indication that someone needs to be shown the door.

Uncalled for reaction from anyone, regardless the reason IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kiko

Relax, it's just a joke and a play on safety signs.  Nobody was injured during the copy and paste. Sarcasm is wasted on some people.

4x4American

Maybe the one you see on the mudflaps: 

Managed forests working for you.
or:  Wood, a renewable resource.
Boy, back in my day..

Ken

I want to do up some t-shirts with a picture of the harvester grabbing a tree and the caption that says "hugging the forest one tree at a time"
Lots of toys for working in the bush

curdog

Quote from: Ken on March 22, 2015, 06:35:20 AM
I want to do up some t-shirts with a picture of the harvester grabbing a tree and the caption that says "hugging the forest one tree at a time"
our forestry club in college had a shirt with a feller buncher holding a log and said " have you hugged a tree today?" 

Thank You Sponsors!