iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black bear attacks tent

Started by red, August 04, 2011, 07:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

two boys were injured wed when a black bear attacked their tent in nw nj stokes state forest near the appajachian trail  bear left but returned and was shot by ranger then ran off
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

fishpharmer

Gotta say, I didn't think they had bears in NJ.  Sounds like it could have been worse. 

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_106636/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=pSOdZyfj

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Really makes you wonder though.........  :-\

What were the politicians thinking when they outlawed bear hunting in New Jersey!  ::)

Now, when they have a "bad" bear in NJ, they live-trap it and run it up to the Catskills or the Adirondacks and let it go, then we have to take care of them. smiley_annoyed01

The bad part is, they don't seem to be afraid of people and that makes for a dangerous animal! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red

i think they said the bear was a newyorker this park is where nj ny and pa all come together on the delaware river

fuzzybear

We have a standing rule here in the Yukon. If a bear attacks a human,  It's dead.   A few years ago we had a grizzly that was attacking cars as they stopped to take pictures. They cought him and moved him 100 miles away. It took him 3 days to return. Next time they moved him 400 miles to the north east. it took him 8 days to return. the last time he tore the heck out of an RV. he bashed the drivers door in to the point it wouldn't open. So he had to be put down.
  I am an advocate for bears. I refuse to kill a bear unless it's a matter of kill or be killed. BUT, when a bear looses it's fear of humans it MUST be put down in my opinion. I have up close and personal encounters with bears on a monthly basis.
 I have a hard time understanding why people go into the bush unprepared. When I head out to the bush the first thing in the truck is dog food. If you are headed into bear country the number one safety item is a dog. My butt has been saved more than once by my "Brandy Girl". Now she is about as big as a small bear, but most any dog that is loud and aggressive twards a bear will be enough to send the bear running. I've seen a Chiwawa tree a bear while their people got away.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

red

marty from wm pa will be real close this weekend at the festival of wood show in milford pa    the black bear has been moved to harrison michigan

Randy88

Instead of shooting him they should have loaded him up and taken him to the nearest animal rights activists house and put him in their spare bedroom, just so he's kept an eye on for a few days to make sure he was safe to release somewhere before being put down, you know give him a fair chance first before such a drastic action was taken.    It really would have benefited a lot more people that way, you gotta think of the greater good at times :)

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fuzzybear

:D :D :D

Now dat was a good one.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Warren

Quote from: Randy88 on August 05, 2011, 10:03:30 AM
Instead of shooting him they should have loaded him up and taken him to the nearest animal rights activists house and put him in their spare bedroom,

I like the way you think !
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

clww

Or you could bring him down here to the PETA headquarters in Norfolk, VA!
I send them pictures of any big game animals I harvest each year since 1994.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

isawlogs

You should also send them a nice pic of the dinner plate with the venisson prepared and ready to bite into ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Randy88

Now thats funny guys, sending pictures to PETA of the big kill.

Buck

PETA  in Louisiana stands for "people eating tasty animals" ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WH_Conley

Bill

red

yesterday at 3am a man let his dog out   then heard the dog bark to come in  when he opened the door a black bear also came in

the bear attacked the man and his wife not life threatning  but 70 stiches  newport pa

VT_Forestry

Quote from: clww on September 01, 2011, 02:45:13 AM
Or you could bring him down here to the PETA headquarters in Norfolk, VA!
I send them pictures of any big game animals I harvest each year since 1994.

You didn't happen to throw some fish guts and rotten crabs on the front door of their office a few weeks ago did you?  Now THAT had me laughing  :D

That's a pretty good idea about sending them pictures though, I might have to adopt that habit
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

If everything goes as planned, my Son and I will be tent camping in an area with a very heavy Black Bear concentration.  I watched one two years ago that was so large that his belly almost drug the ground.  I'd say 300+ pounds.  I also measured a paw print that was over 6" across.  Yikes !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

DouginUtah

Speaking of peanut butter, you better stock up. Price is going up 25-30% next month.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

:D :D
And when that word gets out and passed around, then the rush on the stores will really assure that the price goes up accordingly.
:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Doug , did you go and buy stock in peanut butter  ???     :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DouginUtah

Quote from: isawlogs on October 06, 2011, 07:13:10 PM
Doug , did you go and buy stock in peanut butter  ???     :D

Nope, I just watch the news and verify it by searching Google for peanut butter price.  :D  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

isawlogs

Never crossed my mind to go online to check peanut butter prices before , might need to get into this trend  :P :D

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!