iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Journey of family run sawmill

Started by Busysawyer, April 09, 2018, 10:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Aup,just like this.  

But I would think yours would be bigger.    This unit is about 18 inches square.  I did put a varible speed control on mine,because of noise. On a slow speed it does not make much noise. Wide open it's loud. I know with the sawmill noise is not a big deal.                
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busysawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on April 15, 2018, 03:32:39 PM
Aup,just like this.  

But I would think yours would be bigger.    This unit is about 18 inches square.  I did put a varible speed control on mine,because of noise. On a slow speed it does not make much noise. Wide open it's loud. I know with the sawmill noise is not a big deal.                
That's what she said. Haha. Boiler guy suggested two of these 100k units seeing as how the doors will be opening and closing often.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

PAmizerman

Did not come across that way to me at all.  I thought it was a great explanation. The only reason I asked is because I have a diesel mill and was curious. I was looking into the same scenario with the exhaust pipe. Glad to hear it works! Good luck on your endeavor! Looking good so far.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

The exhaust pipes. Did they have an exhaust fan hooked to them?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Busysawyer

Quote from: PAmizerman on April 15, 2018, 05:32:04 PM
The exhaust pipes. Did they have an exhaust fan hooked to them?

That is a good question.  I was talking with my dad about it the other day and neither one of us was paying enough attention to that detail. We are going down for another visit soon. The first time we went there it was to demo the lt70 and I should have paid more attention to the details of their setup. I did notice the kicker on the back side of the edger was homemade and operated by a pulley hanging from the ceiling at the front of the edger. So when it was time the edger operator would reach up and pull a handle connected to a rope hanging from the ceiling and it would kick the board off onto the return conveyor. I took note of the design but over looked many other details of the operation.  

Gearbox

If you run the exhaust out run it out a side wall . A snow slide on that steel roof will wipe the pipes right off or at least cause leaks . If you have no choice then keep them near the peak . Also run your logs in from an end wall for the same reason . Looks like you are in lake effect country .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Busysawyer

Quote from: Gearbox on April 15, 2018, 07:08:05 PM
If you run the exhaust out run it out a side wall . A snow slide on that steel roof will wipe the pipes right off or at least cause leaks . If you have no choice then keep them near the peak . Also run your logs in from an end wall for the same reason . Looks like you are in lake effect country .

Excellent suggestion. The shop I used to rent about a mile down the road was a large pole barn construction with insulated roof and no ceiling 60 x120 . One of the reznor shop heaters was piped out the eave side of the building near the roof line. Three years in a row the landlord had to pay a tin knocker to come out and replace it due to ice slide offs. That building would build a foot thick ice and when it warned up it would slide off in massive sheets. Even after experiencing this I probably still wouldn't have thought of it when doing my exhausts here and would have ran them to the most convenient location.  Thank you for the reminder. Although my building dies have 1ft overhangs on all sides so if I kept it short it should be ok. But then I would assume I'd get the diesel soot all over my pretty new barn.

PAmizerman

I'm not sure if you have ever seen this video but I like this setup and plan to do something similar when I move to my new location. 
Baker Dominator Band Sawmill & reverse edger in action - YouTube
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Busysawyer

Quote from: PAmizerman on April 15, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
I'm not sure if you have ever seen this video but I like this setup and plan to do something similar when I move to my new location.
Baker Dominator Band Sawmill & reverse edger in action - YouTube
I had not seen that video. I have seen similar setups. Looks pricey, I would like to get there someday.  The mill we visited was much less automation but honestly I have to say the lt70 was kicking out boards much faster. I don't see the point of the long conveyor. Their edger was set up basically the same except you had to pull a handle that was dangling from the ceiling to kick the board onto the return conveyor. The lt70 would kick the slabs, flitches and boards off to the return table where the off bearer would grab them and send them to the edger,  cart or finished pile.  The way it was setup he didn't have to move around very much at all and minimal automation and space was needed. He would get behind on edging but would get caught up when a new log was being loaded on the mill. The edging was the only bottleneck in the system. The only thing I could see improving production would be an edger that could keep up with this guy cranking out cuts on the lt70. He said he had about 16000 hours on the machine and the way he manipulated controls and the speed he was able to rotate clamp and cut was nothing short of amazing.

PAmizerman

I agree to buy it would be very pricey. I plan to build it myself. I believe I have the air valves and solenoids figured out. I like the setup because I work by myself and I can let the flitches pile up while i saw. I  see nothing wrong with you're setup and was not questioning it. If I had a full time helper I would use the setup you have. I just liked the video. As I'm sure you're aware there's only 100000 ways to set up a sawmill :D. Every time I think I have it figured out I see something else I like.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Busysawyer

Quote from: PAmizerman on April 15, 2018, 11:23:07 PM
I agree to buy it would be very pricey. I plan to build it myself. I believe I have the air valves and solenoids figured out. I like the setup because I work by myself and I can let the flitches pile up while i saw. I  see nothing wrong with you're setup and was not questioning it. If I had a full time helper I would use the setup you have. I just liked the video. As I'm sure you're aware there's only 100000 ways to set up a sawmill :D. Every time I think I have it figured out I see something else I like.
I liked the video as well and if things go as planned we will add more machinery to lessen the work load. It doesnt look terribly difficult to fab conveyors, transfer tables, log loader deck or green chain.  I had my own fabrication and welding shop for about 6 years and have no doubt I could make them. The problem that I found was most things like that I was better off buying and using my time for the more custom items and specialty tig welding. I made very few things for myself when I had the shop. For example , one of my larger welding tables I could have very easily built but I bought it used in great condition for what it would have cost me to just buy the materials.  
This weather here is slowing my progress.  Everything is a snow and ice covered muddy mess. I figured it would be a good time to start spreading crushed concrete and stay in the cab of my heated bobcat. I called the plant that I normally buy at which is 2 miles down the road and they are out and won't be producing again until some time in June.  They give me a good product for 10 bucks a yard. So I called around town and best price I could find was 25 bucks a yard and that is 30 miles round trip. I have no idea what I'm going to do now. If I just needed a dump truck load or two no big deal but I need about 250 yards.

moodnacreek

If your are going to open doors all the time and run exhaust blowers you need a thick walled oil tank to make into a giant stove for burning your slabs. Nothing new about this, just has to be fire prof around the stove. It will actually save work.   On my edger I made a sweep bar that is controlled with an automatic log splitter valve, foot operated. Are you going to bring logs inside? You are going to have a lot going on in that building.

Busysawyer

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 17, 2018, 09:02:09 PM
If your are going to open doors all the time and run exhaust blowers you need a thick walled oil tank to make into a giant stove for burning your slabs. Nothing new about this, just has to be fire prof around the stove. It will actually save work.   On my edger I made a sweep bar that is controlled with an automatic log splitter valve, foot operated. Are you going to bring logs inside? You are going to have a lot going on in that building.
We were planning on opening the door a few times a day to bring logs in. The mill we visited would bring in about a dozen or so logs in and set them on ties then use a can't hook to roll them to the living arms of the lt70. Do you have a picture of the sweep bar contraption you made? We were planning on getting a large boiler to heat multiple buildings and sizing large enough to handle another building if we build more. I realize this building may be to small and we might outgrow it sooner than later but that's ok. Here is a pic of the burner we have been looking at. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

^ *2 on the advice given by thecfarm there, do plenty of research.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on April 17, 2018, 09:39:10 PM
Look at other OWBs too.

Quote from: Southside logger on April 17, 2018, 09:46:59 PM
^ *2 on the advice given by thecfarm there, do plenty of research.  

I think I know what your getting at. Found a lot of complaints about central boiler. Products, service and warranty. Do you guys have any brands you think I should check out.

thecfarm

Portage and Main,Heatmor. They all have big ones.

moodnacreek

Would love to post lots of things but it's not easy for us. The computer has to be in just the right mood to recognize the match book from the camera. Also not sure what I am not allowed to show. If I had your mailing address or fax I would send diagram of sweep table I copied when I made mine.  This sweeps off to the side. A tailer runs the edged boards straight and drops the sticks. This set up takes a lot or space behind the edger and that is why I didn't build one and why [as I already said] the sawmill should feed the main building.

Busysawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on April 18, 2018, 06:22:51 AM
Portage and Main,Heatmor. They all have big ones.
Thank you for the suggestions I'll check them out. 
Quote from: moodnacreek on April 18, 2018, 01:15:06 PM
Would love to post lots of things but it's not easy for us. The computer has to be in just the right mood to recognize the match book from the camera. Also not sure what I am not allowed to show. If I had your mailing address or fax I would send diagram of sweep table I copied when I made mine.  This sweeps off to the side. A tailer runs the edged boards straight and drops the sticks. This set up takes a lot or space behind the edger and that is why I didn't build one and why [as I already said] the sawmill should feed the main building.

I will message you my address. I'm curious and would like to learn more. 

So the weather has been beautiful and my acre of mud is drying out quickly. Had my neighbor stop by. He owns a tree service and is interested in trading trees for me milling some things for him. He said he sells a lot of logs to another mill about 30 mins from here right now.  He told me he doesn't like the guy and would rather work out a deal with me. He's a really nice guy and came over to help me drop a few trees that were next to the barn.

WV Sawmiller

BB,

Sounds like a real good deal with your tree service neighbor if y'all can work out the details. We had some recent threads on bartering for logs that I hope you read. Easiest way is cash on the barrel head for his logs and him buying back sawed lumber, beams, etc if you both need/produce what the other has/needs. I like bartering but you do have to be careful there is not a perception, real or imagined, that one or the other is taking advantage of the other. Good neighbors are worth more than money. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Busysawyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 21, 2018, 06:24:23 PM
BB,

Sounds like a real good deal with your tree service neighbor if y'all can work out the details. We had some recent threads on bartering for logs that I hope you read. Easiest way is cash on the barrel head for his logs and him buying back sawed lumber, beams, etc if you both need/produce what the other has/needs. I like bartering but you do have to be careful there is not a perception, real or imagined, that one or the other is taking advantage of the other. Good neighbors are worth more than money. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice. I have read the bartering thead. He said his guy pays him 2 dollars a bf for walnut logs and that's what he wants from me for the walnut. Every thing else is negotiable I guess.  He wants to trade some logs for milling but I don't think he wants much so I am going to offer to pay him for anything after his milling work is done. He has also proposed that I could come to his jobs after he has limbed out and cleaned up to cut and take the main trunks myself. I agree with you about good neighbors being valuable.  I'm easy going and don't care if I lose a little money or time helping him out with whatever he needs. Since I stopped over at his house and introduced myself a couple weeks ago he has been over here just to talk and check on progress about half a dozen times. 

Southside

Quote from: Busybeaver on April 21, 2018, 10:07:49 PMHe has also proposed that I could come to his jobs after he has limbed out and cleaned up to cut and take the main trunks myself

I would be extremely leery of such an arrangement.  First, there is the whole liability issue, arborists have very expensive insurance for a reason, it's a 100% claim category.  Second is the reality that he is getting paid to remove the tree that you are now coming and getting for him.  What happens when the lawn gets torn up?  Who is going to load the logs and what happens when something goes wrong?  I take in yard trees, but I don't pay for them.  I do take in the stump grindings, chips and tops that would otherwise cost the tree service money to get rid of, so we both benefit from the arrangement.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Only 8 more trees to cut down and clean up, then I can get the excavator out here to rip up the stumps that are left. Any tree 16in diameter and smaller I just pushed over with the bobcat and uprooted them so only about 20 big stumps to pull then I can start filling and leveling. It is taking me a little longer than expected to remove all the trees but I'm doing the vast majority on my own. I'm not ready for the mill yet but the wait for it is killing me. Placed the order almost 6 weeks ago and I have looked at the woodmizer catalog about 1000 times. I can't wait to start posting in the sawmill and milling boards with the rest of you guys. Also I had lunch with a guy that I worked for 20 years ago that owns a custom cabinet and furniture shop now. He stopped by the house and we talked wood for about an hour. He does a lot of slab tables and bars. Said if I could match his suppliers pricing he would buy from me exclusively.  So now I have to small cabinet and furniture customers lined up and a wholesale buyer for quantity.  So it's really looking like this is going to come down to two things. Can I produce an acceptable quality product and will it be profitable? I am very optimistic but nervous at the same time.

Busysawyer

Quote from: Southside logger on April 21, 2018, 10:24:53 PM
Quote from: Busybeaver on April 21, 2018, 10:07:49 PMHe has also proposed that I could come to his jobs after he has limbed out and cleaned up to cut and take the main trunks myself

I would be extremely leery of such an arrangement.  First, there is the whole liability issue, arborists have very expensive insurance for a reason, it's a 100% claim category.  Second is the reality that he is getting paid to remove the tree that you are now coming and getting for him.  What happens when the lawn gets torn up?  Who is going to load the logs and what happens when something goes wrong?  I take in yard trees, but I don't pay for them.  I do take in the stump grindings, chips and tops that would otherwise cost the tree service money to get rid of, so we both benefit from the arrangement.  
I hear you there. I'm not too excited about that idea.  I do need to get my own insurance though.  I have made arrangements to buy trees from three different friends of the family and need to be insured.  Two of the properties are within a mile of me and there is about 50 really nice walnuts between the two. Another family friend has over 100 sizable walnut about an hour from here and he wants to sell them to us as well. None of these people need the money but I said I would pay them fair market value.  One of the properties wasnts them all taken at once but the other 2 said come and get them as needed and I can pay them as I go.

WV Sawmiller

Southside,

The liability is a very good point but I would not consider it a stopper. I'd just discuss it with the arborist neighbor and tell him I was concerned about the liability and who would pay for any damage caused  by me during transport.

Yes, he is likely getting paid for removal of the logs but if I needed them and could get first pick and had the time and equipment to pick up the logs with reasonable liability I would do it, especially if that was what it took to make the deal work.

I don't get many logs from others. I did get some from an arborist and he loaded them. I backed my trailer where he told me, he loaded and we both benefited from that deal. I have gotten several loads from friends who cut them in their yards and I hauled and together we loaded them. There may have been some liability there but these were close friends and they were not concerned about the potential damage to their yards. Of course they were down to earth country folks who understand you don't remove large logs without big equipment and big equipment leaves marks and not some hooty tooty "don't step off the sidewalk" kind of snobs.

There is risk but just weigh the risk vs the reward and make your best decision and adjust as you learn from the real life aspects.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!