iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of log is this?

Started by 1crowfarm, January 12, 2012, 11:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1crowfarm

I have a tree that I cut up into logs this morning only problem is I dont believe it is a Poplar tree at all but maybe a Ash but Iam not 100percent on that either.
I drug this log out of a pile of logs that where left behind from a pipeline ROW so I didnt see the tree standing . here are the pic

beenthere

Looks to me at first glance like a soft maple.

Bark doesn't look right in the last pic for soft maple, but pics are hard to get the "feel" of it.

Doesn't look like ash however.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1crowfarm

1crowfarm

The last pic is of the stump cut and the other pic where the bark has kinda of a slightly smoother bark in places and a diiferent look  are the third and fourth logs I cut one 16' log and two 12' logs and two 8' logs  the top log being 14" on the small end  and the stump cut being about 22" on the small end. So we are looking at a log that was almost 60' long and only 8" inches between the first log and the last log.
I know its not a pine log theres no sap

banksiana

What part of the world?  Also, upland or lowland?  Looks to me like red maple too, but I need more clues.

1crowfarm

Oh sorry about that Iam in South western PA  The heart of hardwood country

Chuck White

The one with the smoother bark looks like it may be an upper log from an oak!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

1crowfarm

I cut all the logs in the picture from the same tree this morning

1crowfarm

Quote from: 1crowfarm on January 12, 2012, 03:10:12 PM
I cut all the logs in the picture from the same tree this morning
and it isnt a Oak I'd say its even a lighter log than a Poplar but close to same weight as a poplar

SwampDonkey

Basswood ain't it? Rougher on the but log, gets smoother on up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Looks a lot like basswood to me too.

shelbycharger400

im guessing basswood or cottonwood.. would need a picture of it cut apart to tell

SwampDonkey

The middle log in the second picture looks quite fibrous like basswood would be. You should be able to rip long strips of bark off. It's what they used to make rope from. I know the bark is kind of orangey when exposed.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

Looks like Aspen or Cottonwood to me.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Jeff

Id say almost certainly aspen.  That second photo, middle log of the log end with the knot showing on the cut end to me screams aspen,
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Here's an upper log from a  basswood in the barn. It's covered in dust. Has orange marking paint on the end grain there.

Our mature aspen have flattened ridges to the bark and they're around and 1" wide. Mature balm goes that way to.

SwampDonkey

There's a strip of bark laying on top there about 3" wide and a couple limbs there to the right. The flashlight is shining a spot on another basswood log.

bull

quacking aspen,cottonwood,poplar they are all sisters !! dosen't look like basswood to me !!

Jeff

Nope, doesn't look a think like basswood to me either.

SwampDonkey

This is what our aspen looks like.

Wide flat ridges in the bark.

The young ones are smooth and green or pinkish hue. Some bleached white like white birch. Our large tooth have white blotches like on sugar maple.

SwampDonkey

This is why I often say bark don't mean beans unless it's a tree whose bark traits your used to in that area. It can be all over the map. ;)

Jeff

We have aspen that looks like that as well, depends on the site.  That stuff you posted is what we locally call "White poppel". The terminology is completely wrong, but that's what its called here, and its considered junk compared to anything else.

Jeff

I was trying to find some old photos of aspen logs on our log deck, but all I could find was this, and it really doesn't give you a good comparison view.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2535.0.html

SwampDonkey

Jeff I never posted any "white poplar", but there is some just behind here on a neighbors line. And they have never grown in 30 years it seems. The ones I posted is one that is over mature with the dead branches, rough looking and one in cedar stand. The old one is junk because of the conk all over it, but the cedar one is sound and a fine tree. Actually the old one was in a  cedar stand to I guess, but the cedar was cut. ;) We hulled over 300 cords of that "junk" to the mill in 1984, down in Houltan, Maine. ;)

Hard to see when debarked. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!