iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the site

Started by hunt22j, November 06, 2013, 10:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunt22j

Just wanted to say my hello's to the site members. I've been an active guest reader for quite some time. I got started in saw milling around three years ago when I purchase my Grandberg (used) off of ebay. Soon thereafter, I purchased a used Husky 281 (I think?) and began cutting a little wood for myself. I mainly use(d) it for cutting slabs for my tables, but I also used it procure lumber for various farm projects we have here. One project I built was a 10'x20' cooking shed that came entirely from oaks that were felled on our property during a gravity wave we had in our area some 3 years ago.

As of a week ago, I started a new chapter when I purchased an LT 10. So far so good. I added an extension to my cooking shed and have cut some pretty nice red oak for future furniture ideas I have. I've even experimented in 1/4 sawing which was added to my growing stack of new wood in my solar kiln (built last year primarily from salvaged lumber and goods).

I do have a question for you members. Can some of you guys give me some ideas/ pic as to how to mount the bed rail. I did not want to lay it directly on the ground, so I mounted it on some 6x6 pt posts. To level them I used dry sack crete to build up any low areas, which worked pretty good until now I am noticing the posts are sagging under the middle of the rails. I am also getting a some significant vibration in the mast head, causing it to bounce left to right. I suspect it is from uneven rail contact to the 6x6's and/or the rails sifting slightly out of balance. Can anyone enlighten me as to a better way to do this? Ultimately I want to pour a pad, but right now I am working into everything, starting the mill shed, etc etc and would like to hold off until I am sure that the saw is situated like I want.

Thanks for any help
WM Lt10, 36" Grandberg CS mill powered by a Husky 281 chain saw, Ford 5000 farm tractor with front end loader, 6' x 10' site built solar kiln

Magicman

Hello hunt22j, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WildDog

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

customsawyer

I have never worked with a LT 10 so I'm not any help with it but I can welcome you to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Hunt22j welcome to FF! Don't know much about an lt10 either.
Would like seeing pics of your solar kin.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Seaman

You will find help here I am sure. Welcome!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum! Sorry no help with an LT 10 here either.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

thecfarm

hunt22j,welcome to the forum. I hate to say I'm no help either. So I'll say I'm not much help.   :D  I'm only guessing here. I suppose the 6x6 is against the bed rail? How about some wooden shims,with a screw,lag bolt so they don't fall out? Pieces of metal with a screw to keep them in place?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Welcome aboard, hunt22j.  gravity wave = earthquake? ???  Never heard that, very funny. :D  In AL no less! :o
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Happycamper

Hunt,
On my 10 I mounted the bed rails on full length 4"thick planks which are secured to a boat trailer that was given to me. Secured the boat trailer in several places and it is up off the ground at a very convenient height for working the mill.
  The bounce back and forth for me is only when the blade is getting dull, loosing set and going through the log a little to fast. The larger the log the slower the head must move through it. I use a winch system to move the head through the log which works easily and evenly with 2 fingers and most importantly the cut speed is very even with no hard push here or there like when doing it the manual way. If you are using the 7 hp Kohler you will be underpowered and have to work at an even slower pace. A well set and sharpened blade is critical to the little mill which will do a fine job for you. Larger engine mills can push through the logs with poorer quality in the blades it appears.
                                          Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

jmouton

welcome to the ff, sorry cant help you either

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Hunt....I sure would like to see some of your tables and your cooking shed.
Sounds like you have a pretty neat place.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

manoverboard

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

hunt22j

Postonlt40- I'll try to get a good pic of the cooking shed, do not have any right now. You can see some of my tables on my website http://www.theiveycourt.com/ All of the live edge tables you see were slabbed with my csm mill.

Happycamper- thanks for the tips. Yesterday I added more lag bolts to secure the rails to the 6x6's. Previously I had only lagged the ends of each rail and shimmed the middles. Well, with a little run time the shims vibrate out of place. I'm thinking that was my problem as the rails were not resting firmly on the posts. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a little run time to test things out.

JohnM- High winds, lots of trees down. I called it straight line winds, but the news came up with this fancy, smancy term gravity wave.

FishPharmer- I'll try to get some pics up soon of my solar kiln soon. Its nothing special, like I said its mostly out of salvaged materials. Based on the VT plans. Pretty small but it seems to work for my small operation.
WM Lt10, 36" Grandberg CS mill powered by a Husky 281 chain saw, Ford 5000 farm tractor with front end loader, 6' x 10' site built solar kiln

Dad2FourWI

Hello hunt22j,

Happycamper had some good advice for the LT-10...

Mine will also start to rock a bit when I am "pushing" it a bit too much.... I just slow down and let it stop and then continue and all is good!

I mounted mine on some nice size timbers and anchored the tar out of it... and that has helped a bit. Even when you pour a pad, make sure you use some (even bigger) timbers as it is nice to have the mill a bit "up off the ground"... just nicer working conditions. The downside is that you need to lift the logs a bit higher up onto the track...

I am actually running the 7hp and yes, I need to be more patient... :)

If you have any build-up on the blades that can also cause some troubles!!! Using windshield washer fluid has helped me in that respect!!!

Welcome and enjoy all that these very nice sawyers have to share... they have been very helpful for me!

Cheers,
-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

JohnM

hunt, I checked out your site, you do some amazing work!  I also ended up on the "Hank bought a bus" blog...that thing is awesome! :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Sixacresand

Welcome to the forum, Hunt.  I mounted my LT10 bed rails to parallel treated 4 X 4's.  I spent a lot of time making sure the ground was level and even first.  If I ever do it again I would want it built up off the ground for two reasons.  One, higher working surface is easier on the back. Two, space under the rails allows room to rake out or blow out trash and sawdust.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

m wood

Welcome hunt22j.  I quickly went to your fb page and was also amazed at the cover photo.  Nice work and I will check out your website next.  You seem to keep your hands busy?!  It's almost like you've been a member for years ;D
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

bandmiller2

Hunts,I checked you site you are a clever rascal nice tables.Any mill be it band or circular the  bunks should be around mid thigh hight for the easiest working.Any mill deserves a decent foundation ,on well drained,  firm ground.If you have machinery to lift logs a dead deck the same hight as the mill bunks is handy to store logs or stack boards needing edging.If no equipment find a side hill if you can,logs are heavy and anything you can do to make it easier is time well spent.Oh and welcome. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

Welcome to the site!

I don't know about your fabrication/welding skills (maybe someone local could help you out?) anyway, I'd put together a steel frame with legs to mount the mill bed to. This way, you could solve the height issue as well as have a proper foundation for your mill. Believe me, a mill mounted too low will create all kinds of issues. With a steel frame, you could move it around with a loader/forks until you found the arrangement that works best for you. Just a thought...

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Brad_bb

Welcome.  First, just so you know, to post pictures on this site you have to upload them to your user gallery.  If you look in the upper left just above the sponsor ads, there's a link for "Photo Galleries".  Go there and then go to "my gallery" and you should be able to figure out from there how to upload pictures.  Once you've uploaded them, go to "my gallery"  and go to the album to find the picture.  Click on the picture and scroll down to the box with the image address with img tags around and copy it.  You can paste that into your post you want it to appear in.  It sounds more complicated than it is, but you will get used to it pretty quick if you do it.  The reason is so that the picture is always maintained in the FF post.  If it was hosted in an outside picture hosting site, and you quit using that site, the image link would eventually go bad and would no longer show up in the FF post.

If you plan to keep the mill for a number of years, You might want to consider pouring a concrete pad for it.  Or buy the Woodmizer trailer package to fit your mill onto with the outrigger jacks.  Also always keep security in mind.  Mills have been stolen.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!