iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bummer Day

Started by Kirk_Allen, April 10, 2005, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

My wife found our missing barn cat last night.  She was dead laying under the back porch.  I had been worried about her for the last week or so because she seemed to just vanish.  I though maybe she went to the barn to have a litter of kittens.  She hadnt been dead very long though.  A day at the most.  Not sure what happen to her.  No visible injuries. She was only about 3 years old. 

She was kind of special since she was my cat.  She claimed ME two winters ago.  She followed me everywhere when Im out working.  If I'm milling she waits for the log to roll towards the mill and then she pounces on any mice that get exposed.  When Im in the shop she would always come out and sit up on the work bench and watch me work for hours. 

Going to miss that darn cat. :( 

Brad_S.

We lost our cat of 18 years last year. Surprising how the little creatures grow on you.

Sorry for your loss.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

pigman

We are going to lose our cat next week. :( Daughter moved from an apartment where she couldn't have pets into her own house yesterday. Now she wants her cat back that we have been keeping for the last two years. Of course I am not attached to him but I think the wife is a little attached.
smiley_crying

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

etat

Sorry to hear about he loss of your cat.  We've got a couple we've had for a long long time.  I sure would hate it if something happened to them. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

UNCLEBUCK

After losing many animals over the years my prescription is after the mourning process of about 2 weeks its best to go get a brand new puppy or kitty and start over . It isnt easy . My neighbors came over last summer and asked if I would take my old backhoe and bury their prize stud horse of 15 years and they stayed in the house when I showed up because they just couldnt bare to see it . A few weeks later I seen them out and about riding horses once again .  Hang in there people  !  It just takes awhile
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Kirk_Allen

I didnt think this was going to be that bad since it was a strictly outside barn cat that just showed up but she grew on me real quick.  She was like a puppy.  Every where I walked she was right next to me ready to go.

Kind of surprised how much she grew on me being a barn cat.  My wifes cat was an inside cat and we had to put her down at 19 years old.  That was tough on her.  She had it since it was a newborn.

Not sure I want to go get a cat just yet.  Got 28 chickens and a couple of them have some real personality.  Now if those two turn out to be rooster, well lets just say FRIED CHICKEN. 

We named one of them (not supposed to name your dinner) Arrowhead because of some unique markings on his head.  As soon as you open up the pen he runs over to you and jumps up on your arm.  He even jumped up onto my wifes head.  He loves to ride on your shoulder while you walk around.  We'll have to see if this habit stays with him as he gets older.  I think he is only about 4 weeks old now.  Geese come next week.  OH BOY, that is going to be interesting ;D

etat

Quotenot supposed to name your dinner

Boy, I sure do wish i'd a know about that years ago.  Because I often do give em such names.

Had a couple of them big ole white long bodied hogs, named em Billy and Bob, after Billy Bob's Barbecue.  (I wonder if that's why they was so mean?)

Had anuthern I named 'pork chop'

Had a goat I named (barbecue)

Named a bull 'hamburger' one time'

Just to name a few.  (I'll try to be more careful in the future) smiley_kid
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

UNCLEBUCK

I lost my prize chocolate lab 3 years ago , I am tough , I am strong , atleast I thought so until my throat got dry and I buried my face in my shirt and took a seat and just cried my self dry . Its a wierd feeling but I let 2 weeks go by and I made it .  Keep busy , get more logs , keep sawin ! Actually I been watchin your sawing mega frenzy and you better go fishin for a few days , youre pictures and energy make me tired !  ;D

ScottAR

Been there twice, losing a cat is a bad deal...  Lost one after 17 yrs.  and another at 19yrs old.  The cats that is...    The last one was the worst as the other was not there to comfort me... 

I hadn't thought much about getting another cat for a few years...  Best laid plans...    He was about six weeks old when a relative asked me to take him as they had two cats already...  Everything black except his eyeballs... :D 
Name is "Snowball."   He's about 6-7 months old now and a bundle of energy when he's not napping... ;)

Wanted to play hide an seek when I got home from work today... As I got out of the truck, he fired out from under the car into the garage, out the back door onto the patio doing a "donut" around a bucket into a pounce position then bounding out into the yard....    That sure brought a smile and a laugh from this tired guy....   
Our thoughts are with you....  Take a spell and when the lord decides your ready, another will magically appear to fill the void.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

trim4u2nv

My freind sent me this after I told him about my cat sleeping under our jointer.  The cat ran  like a bat out of hell when someone started it.   Nearly scared the guy to death.  He thought it was a giant black rat.

Be careful if you have used any terminex rodent poison.  If the cat eats these mice (easy prey),  they will lose the ability to clot blood (warafin poisoning.) 

We have 4 cats and have lost about a dozen over the years.   Feline lukemia, warafin poisoning, antifreeze, flea collar poisoning.  Don't leave any spilled antifreeze as the cat can drink it an have liver problems.  Also cats of white persian descent can have liver problems with flea collars.    My vet is naming his new wing after us as we've probably paid for it twice.

Norm

Boy sure sorry to hear about that Kirk. I've always been a cat lover, dogs are good too but seems that I always adopt a cat that gets on my soft side. Farm life is dangerous for them and they seem to just not show up one day. Several years ago we had a momma cat have a lone kitten in a chicken nest, homliess thing you ever saw. When I finally brought it down it could hardly walk as it had never been on the ground. It became my shop cat and was named Sid (after Sid Vicious) and was a real terror. She would not let you do much more than an occasional petting, no sitting on your lap or other stuff a cat normally would do. One day several years later Sid just never showed up, most likely an owl or coyote got her. It wasn't until a few years later that I heard a slight meowing coming from an old cistern on our farm. Patty finally went to see what it was and found a little kitten in the bottom, no way to get it out as the entrance was too narrow. A day or so later I couldn't stand to hear the little thing anymore, rigged up a lasso on a pole and snagged the little guy. I was amazed he was still alive, skinny and maggot infested. We nursed him back and he was named Angel as I figured he had a gardian one. He's now my best buddy and new shop cat. It's surprising how we get attached to these little guys. :)

shopteacher

July 4 will be a year since I lost my cocker spaniel. Don't think a day goes by I don't miss him or think about him. Thought about getting another, but don't think I'm ready yet. 
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

MrMoo

Kirk,
Very sorry to hear about your losing your pal. Its amazing how these little guys grow on you. We have 3 cats that seem to run the house. They're contsantly talking and doing foolish things to get our attention. Sure makes life fun.
Just hang in there and when you feel its right God will bring a new buddy into your life and soon you will be laughing and having fun.
Mike

Ga_Boy

Kirk,

Sorry to hear about your cat, I too am a cat person.

Now we have a dog, that Debbie is crazy about, we also got a cat the Amber and Debbie rescued when Amber was about two.

The cat I miss the most is the one my ex took with her.  I had that cat about two years before I meet the ex.  I still have not figured out how I lost my cat to her. :(

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Paschale

Kirk,

Sorry to hear about your loss of that cat--he sounds like a great one.  It is amazing how animals can worm their way into your lives.  When I was in college, the dog that I grew up with died, and it really knocked me off my feet for awhile.  I'm not home enough to have a dog now, but sometimes I think about getting a cat--it'd be nice to have something to greet you when you come home.  I definitely like those cats that are like dogs, like the one you had Kirk.  Sorry again for your loss.   :-[
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

Sorry about your buddy, Kirk.  I'm kinda looking down that same barrel.

You saw my dog "Straight".    He's a mess, isn't he? :D

logger

I rescued a cat and we nursed it back to health, after the neighbor dogs almost killed it.  We still have him, he isn't a year old yet.  His name, "baby cat." :D 8) ;D :) ;)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

UNCLEBUCK

After my prize lab died I got 2 free spaniel/lab cross puppies 8 weeks old a bro and a sis and my barn cat just had a fresh batch of tiger kittens so I thought what the heck and raised them all together . Kittens stacked all over my pups sleeping and as the pups got older they protected every cat they grew up with and if a stray tomcat came near the pups would go and stretch him out and teach him a lesson . Like a puppy tug of war on them tomcats . Now that I think about it that was the last batch of kittens around the farm here. Must be a shortage of stray tomcats .   ???

Brad_S.

I'm rather surprised at the number of people owning up to being cat people. That's not the "cool" thing to do. :D

We always had both cats and dogs when I was growing up, but now I am just a cat person. I find dogs require too much time and energy, both of which I have in short supply. I will often go to a job site where the owner has a dog and it is almost always underfoot. Last thing I need is a dog running around my feet when I'm pulling lumber. :(

When I get home, the cat comes to the door and brushes against me as if to say "Hey, welcome home, bro, I missed you. Well, I gotta get back to watching the squirrels. Later."smiley_beatnik

No jumping. No whining. No piddling on the floor. Yeah, I'm a cat person.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Haytrader

Ga_Boy,

Did ya hear the one about the guy actin all down and out at work?
Well, at break one of his buddies asked why he was seemed so down.
He replied...."OH, my wife left me and took my bird dog...........and I miss him."

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

sawyerkirk

Anyone needing kittens, just let me know, we are about to have at least two litters out here at the mill. I'm sure I could UPS a few of them.

HORSELOGGER

Will they have pointy tails , Kirk :)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

asy

Quote from: HORSELOGGER on April 12, 2005, 08:31:02 AM
Will they have pointy tails , Kirk :)

They will after his mill's finished with them :D

Sure was sorry to hear about your losing your cat Kirk. I've had lots of cats, but there was one, Jemma, who I just adored. She was my mate. I miss her awfully. Had to put her down due to kidney failure just a month before I had my daughter. That was 9 years ago and I still miss that darned cat.

asy:D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Kirk_Allen

I think the thing that makes it the toughest is simply not knowing why she died.  I know there are lots of things it could have been but not sure what.  I dont use any poison around here and she never leaves the barn lot and if she did, its close to half mile to the nearest neighbor. 

I just hope she didnt suffer.  Thanks for all the kind words.

Ernie

WE had a cat "Fat Cat"  named by our eldest daughter.  After a good life of being spoiled rotten for 23 years, it was suddenly paralysed from the middle of its back to its tail and used to drag itself around in the most heart wrenching way.  I couldn't let it suffer and decided to put it down.  We had a 50 ml bottle Pethedine left over from our goat embryo transplant days and I thought that would do the trick.  I drew up all 50 mls in a big syringe and with us all in tears, injected old Fat Cat.  It did nothing.  Thinking that at least it would not feel any pain for a while with all that pethedine, we left him for another day hoping for a miracle.  He didn't improve so I had to shoot him.  I have shot a lot of feral cats and never batted an eye but fat cat was family.

It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and could never do it again.

Strange how you get attached to an animal.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!