iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wake up call

Started by Frank_Pender, April 11, 2005, 10:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

I had been up since 4 this morning and was getting a brief snooz in my recliner when I get this call from Michigan.  A very nice sounding lady was inquiring about what the possible value would be for a Balck Walnut in her yard.  I had to take a double thought about the call thinking it was a friend of our friend here, Gilman.  He and I had spoken about some Walnut yesterday on the land line.  Anyway, I suggested that she touch base with the Foretry Forum for assistance, more specifically, with Jeff as a possible source for help.  If anyone is inteested, I have her phone number.  I do not know the specific geographic location in the state. 
Frank Pender

Jeff

I get an average of 2 or 3 of these contacts a week. Someone in southern michigan that thinks thier tree is worth 30,000 dollars. (IT IS! I HAVE BEEN TOLD SO MANY TIMES!)  Many just cant believe it and become nasty when they are told to call a tree service because thier yard tree that they have been counting on as a nest egg or even a retirement is of little value, other then as what it is, a nice landscape tree. An example, as they would go as far as contacting the west coast because they think everyone else is lieing to them or trying to steal thier tree.

I wish there was an answer to this, but it never goes away.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ga_Boy

I don't feel too bad now.

Down here in Maryland; them type of folks think their pine trees are worth $10,000 each.  They get real up set with me when I tell them $150/hour for me to come out and cut it down and haul it away.  This is only good if I can cut it and let it fall wherever it wants to fall.

If it is a directional fall; I send them to my tree service buddies and they charge about $1,000 per tree.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Jeff

One memorable contact I had was where the lady had it all planned out other then she was not sure if she should build her kids a new sandbox first, or if we thought that the tree could be removed without disturbing the one it was growing in.

Gilman

Frank,
I think that lady was one of your students, she's still giggling!  :D

Still don't have that planer unloaded.  Once the tires blow, it'll be a little closer to the ground.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

CHARLIE

Well, you guys laugh if'n ya wanna. But I got a small Aspen tree in the woods behind my house that is worth at least $4500!  To who, I'm not sure yet, but I'm still looking for him. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Engineer

I cut a pine tree last year that could have been worth ten grand. 

That is, if pine was selling for $8 a board foot.   :D

Frank_Pender

I know, I know folks that it only takes one tree to help make a day worth the time.   I spent the good psart of yesterday morning dealing with a West Coast Redwood tree.  It was about a hundred feet tall, but the first twelve or so feet is all that I wanted. 8)  The burl began at about 18" and went up 8' before the limbs began. 8)  I get the 12' for nothing, but the cost of having it placed in my truck.  The other tree that was being removed was a Tulip tree.  It was 16' to the first limbs and 20" at that point.  I have never knowingly sawed one of them.

So, you never know what a phone call can ring in for ya. I do admit Michigan is a bit far for speculation from out here in the West.
Frank Pender

Part_Timer

Yard trees are always worth more.  If you take all the metal out and sell it for scrap you come out ahead right.    :D   
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Sawyerfortyish

Hey Frank if you send that redwood to me in NJ I would be more than happy to send All them people with those 5000.00+ walnut trees to you. Trucking is so cheap now we could both make out like bandits  ::) :D :D :D

Cedarman

These same people that think their yard tree is so valuable are the same suburbanites that call their congressman and tell them what should be done with our national forests. They have no clue about a trees value, how it grows, how it is logged etc. Is it no wonder that the management of our state and federal forests is in a tizzy? 

I walk through woods looking at an 8 inch dbh cedar and tell them that it is worth about $2.00 to $4.00 dollars standing there.  They say if that's all its worth I'll let it be.  I tell them if that is all it's worth why keep growing it. Cut it and get some good oak or poplar growing that will make you some money.
They see only what they want to see.

How about getting the newspapers to run some stories on yard trees and what they are worth.  Local papers always like local stories and they could do some research to back up.  Yard tree owners seem to hear about the big money trees, how about some stories of what the yard tree is really worth.

Yard trees don't you just love them? ;D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jeff

Yes but value is in the eyes of the beholder.  A tree that has little timber value due to either the form of the tree, or the overhead to harvest it, may have tremendous value in the eyes of the landscaper.

Fla._Deadheader

Very profound statement, Boss.  ;)  You have driven the proverbial nail into the heart of the matter.  8) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Doc

While I can't say anything to the value of Urban/yard trees as timber, I can tell you that certain species do hold some value to the property owner in the form of property value.

While that walnut/pecan/oak/poplar tree may not be worth a tinkers *DanG for timber value because it is a yard tree it will encourage a property value increase even in the worst properties. So while you may tell the property owner that that tree they want cut is not worth 5K to you, it may very well affect the appraisal of their property. Some trees bear more than others.....so to speak.

In my area, magnolias and stinky in the fall Bradford Pears are a high dollar addition to an appraisal, and can increase the value of the property by more than the 5K the owner thinks the tree is worth. If it is in good condition (health) and very mature it will add nicely to the bottom line of what their property is worth regardless of the landscapers eye. I buy and sell investment properties on the side of my day job, and have found that removing the wrong tree can cost me money. You might be surprised.....

Now if the tree is dead or dying, or a threat to the house obviously it will not help the value of the property. It won't help the owner any either considering the tree they thought was worth so much is really garbage......funny how that works.

I know different areas of the country vary in this respect, but I think this pretty much applies all over. Down here though (in Huntsville,Ala) we are fairly well connected to what is going on in various markets because so many folks are diversified in their investments. Most understand that mills don't want yard trees, and won't touch them. Most understand what the going rate for pulp is too. Some might try to haggle the value of the tree, but you would have to ask them "are you referring to appraisal value on your property or the tree itself?"

Someof this was gleened from a friend who is a local arborist. I was very surprised to find out that the 15yr old Magnolia that sheds like mad all year, and looks bad half of it is worth 10K+ on the bottom line of the appraisal for established landscaping.

Doc

Cedarman

I was just taking the narrow view of those owners who think the tree has a high value for the lumber in it rather than the aesthetics.  Many of us woodland owners have trees in our woods that it would take many times the wood value for us to part with them.  I've got a big hickory that I see from my deer stand that I enjoy just looking at. It will grow til it falls.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ScottAR

There's definately a difference in property value vs. lumber value.  A passing motorist hit a smallish poplar  ( 10"-12") at one of the rentals and knocked all the bark off the base.  Insurance Appraised it at around $1k + $500ish for removal. 

Guessing the tree itself was worth maybe $10-$25 max.  I woulda just cut it down but two intersecting power lines and a house were in the possible fall paths so I let a pro do it.   
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ernie

I wouldn't take any sum for my sugar maple that I planted years ago.  It may not be tappable for syrup but the autumn colours and the reminder of my home in Canada as a kid are irreplaceable :) :)

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Doc

Quote from: ScottAR on April 13, 2005, 02:01:44 AM
There's definately a difference in property value vs. lumber value.  A passing motorist hit a smallish poplar  ( 10"-12") at one of the rentals and knocked all the bark off the base.  Insurance Appraised it at around $1k + $500ish for removal. 

Guessing the tree itself was worth maybe $10-$25 max.  I woulda just cut it down but two intersecting power lines and a house were in the possible fall paths so I let a pro do it.   

it is events like this that make "Joe Homeowner" think his tree is worth big bucks. When the property appraiser tells them "this particular tree in your yard adds X value to your property" they suddenly think that if it is taken down and sawn up that the lumber is worth that X dollar figure. they just can't believe that the appraiser or insurance company would lie to them.

They have no idea what the value of the lumber form the tree is worth and base that completely off of what they get told from other sources.....I assume, and bet this is correct.

I still think it is funny.

Doc

Jeff

Quotethey just can't believe that the appraiser or insurance company would lie to them.

The appraiser or insurance company probably didn't lie. They are citing the landscape value, which is probably very well below the cost of replacing that tree. What do you figure it would cost, to call up a nursury and tell them you wanted a 10 to 12 inch diameter poplar delivered and planted and kept alive in your front yard?

Roxie

Where I work, it would cost around $2,000. 
We get calls all the time from folks that have had vehicles damage plantings, and they want the same size replacement.  Insurance will not pay for that.  Insurance will pay to replace a poplar with a poplar.  If you want it the same size, you pay the difference.   :)
Say when

ScottAR

I was sorta amazed that little tree was worth anything.   :D :D  It wasn't the prettiest on the place, just closest to the road.   ;D

When the insurance co. was contacted, we were only concerned with the removal as the tree was a goner.  The bark was completely knocked off all the way 'round from the ground to about 5-6ft. high.   The ranger that hit it was a goner as well.   :D :D  Lady fell asleep doin 55mph. at 10:30 am...   (?!?!?) 

Aside from a small scratch and a dead truck she was ok. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Furby

Quote from: ScottAR on April 14, 2005, 12:36:34 AM
The ranger that hit it was a goner as well. :D :D Lady fell asleep doin 55mph. at 10:30 am... (?!?!?)

Probly a third shifter working late, been there, done that! Oops, never actually hit anything or anyone but...............
I worked with one lady that had been working long hours as well, and had a 45 min drive home. She kept telling us she couldn't stay awake long enough to drive home. One day she fell asleep on her way home and went off into a deep ditch and messed up her truck pretty good. Atleast she didn't kill anyone. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!