iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum and PNW

Started by Clark, December 30, 2007, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

Hey all!  I just recently found this board and really like what I see.  Tons of information here and I am busy soaking some of it up. 

I'm not too long out of school but spent several years working inventory and timber marking jobs in the midwest where I grew up.  Just got married and decided to see how things were in the Pacific Northwest.  Was informed Dec. 18th that I got a job I had applied for.  Made Christmas much brighter!  I'll be doing more inventory for my new job which is good, lets me find out what's going on in the woods without someone telling me what they think is happening.  I'm excited to work in the PNW and see how they grow trees out here, but it seems like it will probably be a little bit boring compared to the midwest (sorry PNW guys!)  Oh well, it's an experience in any case.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Clark. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Welcome to the FF and the wild west, Clark. I don't know about the PNW being boring. You will likely get a crick in yer neck from looking up with yer jaw open.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sgtmaconga

Welcome to the fourm.

ps: we like lots of pics
Measure twice cut once

OneWithWood

Welcome, Clark.  What part of the midwest did you leave?  Good luck in the PNW.  I hear it is beautiful country.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Clark

OWW - I worked mostly in northern Wisconsin and northern Minnesota.  Spent some time working for Plum Creek and then working with a private consultant conducting inventory for several different gov't agencies.

Maybe I give the PNW too hard of a time.  I think it will be very interesting to work out here, just a lack of many species to learn about, that's all.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ron Scott

I'm sure that working in the PNW will be a great experience.
~Ron

RynSmith

Welcome to the PNW, Clark.  When you get too bored with the trees, you can always start on the shrubs, ferns, forbes and, if worse comes to worse, mosses!

stonebroke

maybe not too many species but you will have beautiful  scenery.

Stonebroke

mdvaden

Vancouver, WA, is a nice area. I'd consider moving there if I didn't know the west suburbs or Portland so well.

Our home is on the market, with a goal to move back north to that suburb area.

I get through your area lot when going to hike up Beacon Rock.

You might get a kick out of Ape Caves and the very nearby tree molds - like 1/2 mile or so away.

It's up north of you, south of Mt. St. Helens.

Clark

mdvaden -

I've heard of the Ape Caves and Beacon Rock, they are on the list of places to go.  What are these tree molds you speak of?  I've seen it out in the woods while working but I presume you are talking about something very specific?  If so, I haven't heard of it yet, but it sounds like it could make the list too.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

mdvaden

Quote from: Clark on January 10, 2008, 07:15:52 PM
mdvaden -

I've heard of the Ape Caves and Beacon Rock, they are on the list of places to go.  What are these tree molds you speak of?  I've seen it out in the woods while working but I presume you are talking about something very specific?  If so, I haven't heard of it yet, but it sounds like it could make the list too.

Clark

Click my signature link for Images.

The photos are in my "Oregon" album, because it has some Washington stuff too.

Scroll down to about #55, where our older son (with shaved head) is climbing a ladder into a tree mold.

Lava flowed into a forest, and the result after all the trunk residue dissintegrated over years, was hollow molds of their shapes. Some vertical, some horizontal, some inter-connecting, etc..

The parking lot for it, is basically right next to the lane that goes up to Ape Caves. I doubt it's more than a 1/2 mile or mile between the two parking lots.

The moss is so thick up there on the forest floor, it looks like a expansive green  mattress in some places.

Thank You Sponsors!